My new to me, RZ350 restoration...gotta start somewhere

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

JeffCooper

My new to me, RZ350 restoration...gotta start somewhere

#1 Post by JeffCooper » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Howdee - New to the show here...anxious to get started, but snapped a bunch of pics to show what I'm starting with:

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb21 ... 20Special/

My goal is to restore this bike to as close to show-room as possible. I've got a long way to go, but I know 2-strokes (I've had two RD400's - a 76 and a 78) and dozens of dirtbikes.

Once I get her back to stock, I'll likely put some chambers on because I can't stand the thought of that 60lb stock system. I'll add Boyesens in while I do the top end. :-)

I bought this bike because it started first kick and was stone cold. It also CLEARLY has original rubber - not for long though. My next stop here will be a tire discussion.

I also need a tank and side panels. I know it's going to hurt. It hurts worse, because the darn CRUSHED tank hasn't a drop of rust in it.

I'm almost embarassed to post here with all these gorgeous RZ's, but I need help, so here I am...hat in hand.. asking. If you have comments and guideance and sources for parts and stuff, please let me know

Thanks!!
Jeff Cooper
Palm Harbor, FL
1984 RZ350

xkabooomx

#2 Post by xkabooomx » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Welcome to the club! :smt001
It sure is great to see another RZ find a good home!
That poor thing sure has seen better days, i'm sure the future will be bright.
85 KR RZ350 ported W/Toomey pipes VM30's Air screw one 1/2 turn out/Main jet 240/Needle 2nd clip from bottom/6F5 jet Needle/159-P6 Needle Jet/40 pilot jet/2.5 Throttle Valve/2.0 Air jet

Chang-Kuao-Lo

#3 Post by Chang-Kuao-Lo » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:55 pm

if you're talking restoration, technically that means as many original parts as possible. that being said, 6 bills to fix the tank might be worth it. it only gets to be original once. besides, you would be hard pressed to find a tank in "restored" condition for less than $600, a so-so tank that needs $300 worth of paint and decals is probably going to cost you about $300. for a proper "showroom restoration", the more original parts, the more the value. there's a difference between frame off "restoration" and "rebuild".
'84 RZ350
4mm stroke, wickedatv stroker chambers and torque head 20cc
VM30 carburetors (270 main, 3/4 turn air screw), 2-in-1 Y intake
stg. II porting

"have a crappy weekend, i hope your house burns down." -carl brutananadilewski

Rizzer

#4 Post by Rizzer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Chang-Kuao-Lo wrote:if you're talking restoration, technically that means as many original parts as possible. .... the more original parts, the more the value. there's a difference between frame off "restoration" and "rebuild".
There are grades...restoration can be replacing items with OEM equipment. Nut and bolt restoration is using everything off the bike that is original. Rebuild means fair game / replace it with whatever.

FWIW I am doing a restoration on mine. To me that means I can use some parts other than OEM, such as coil - why buy a stocker vs an aftermarket 40K v unit....same as rear suspension. Why spend $250 getting the soft std shock rebuilt, when for a little more I can have a custom Penske item built for me to ride the bike.

OP do some research here, I think the Boy reeds are not that good, tires everyone use are BT45's.

Good luck on the tank, Ill be looking to get mine restored (insides) and painted in the future as well..

JeffCooper

#5 Post by JeffCooper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 am

xkabooomx wrote:Welcome to the club! :smt001
It sure is great to see another RZ find a good home!
That poor thing sure has seen better days, i'm sure the future will be bright.
THanks for the warm welcome from you and ALL of you. It's definitely seen better days, but as mentioned, my goal is to replace everything I can with OEM parts. Tough to do, I know.

Read on for details and theories. ;-)
Jeff Cooper
Palm Harbor, FL
1984 RZ350

JeffCooper

#6 Post by JeffCooper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:33 am

Yep, my intent is a frame-off restoration. I have to to paint/powder-coat, polish up aluminum, bearings, bushings, etc.

Restore to original - I should use the caveat "where possible, or where practical". Examples would be swing arm bushings, bearings, batteries, ,tires, etc. I won't put those original originals dunlops back on. :-)

First things firs though:

* I need tires first and for most. I mean, I want to ride, right? 28 year old, dry rotted dunlops might have tread are unsafe.

* I have busted stuff - lights, blinkers, autolube pump... I need to fix that stuff.

* I need manuals - and for collection purposes, I'd love the original owers guide...and just a good service manual.

I need a rear brake light switch, and i've got to get blinkers working

* would love to get my hands on the outer case of the instrument cluster... I'd got a ton of wiring to do, and would like to fix that cluster ONCE. Does anyone use color LEDs in place of the lamps? What size?

Ok - LED isn't original either, but they look great!!
Jeff Cooper
Palm Harbor, FL
1984 RZ350

silverstrom

#7 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Have a very good look at the steering head/triple clamp. Seeing the tank like that means there is a good chance there is more damage to be found.

If/when you need parts shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you out. No tanks for your bike unfortunately.

silverstrom

#8 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 pm

JeffCooper wrote: , I'd love the original owers guide...
Act fast before it's gone. They don't come along often. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Original ... 231e178b73

This old RZ

#9 Post by This old RZ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:56 pm

You think yours is rough you should see the two I started with...lol

Welcome, A good restoration,as anythng will not come cheap..be forewarned youll more than likley end up spending in the end $5000 dollars minimum including engine refresh and all cosmetics..theres no way around it,dont think you can...you cant :smt002 :smt005 if your buying quality parts and good quality craftsmanship..that being said..your going to love this bike!
You stated you wanted as close to original as possible..but that gets expensive and also poses some problems,as noted like tires,r shock and please oh please dont use LEDs... :smt009 :smt005

One approach you might consider that still keeps originallity..but will allow you to build a GREAT BIKE! with a little flexability from the tedious task od pure OEM Is consider a restored RZ with only really cool"PERIOD CORRECT MODIFICATIONS" Like listed below:

A factory solo seat...this IMO is a absolute must!..LOL
Toomey exuasts or Spec 2 etc..
Old school'telefix" fork braces
Proggressive front suspension'emulators" etc..
Calfab ,JMC,Metachex R swingarm
Rebuilt FOX twin clicker r shock..they still rebuild them!
Corbin "gunfighter" seats
Toomey battery kit and 2-1 filter
Raassak rear sets,or other period brand

This way your not only restoring her..but better and finding some of these parts can be a challenge..but alot if not most can still be purchased brand new! or reproduction! And the best thing is its ALL 1985 BABY! grow your hair long and throw in a Journey CD!!.LOL:smt005
The fuel tank,is a sorespot with almost all RZ owners,,once they tip over fall crash etc..they all dent..lol Be diligent in your search,there out there,but can be expensive..but suprises are out there i just bought a RZ tank here in Los Angeles in really good shape,two small dings,needs only "MINOR" work paint and grapics..but i bought if for 45 bucks on Craigslist,I also bought a equally great daytona Special tank at a 2 stroke extravagana event for $20 bucks...thats right! Start looking alll the time and acumulate all you can,and dont be afraid to look to Yamaha dealers for OEM NOS parts there out there and there are alot of cross referance parts avail,like bearings ,grommets etc..
OG round mirrors,Fuel tank,and the stock undamaged r fender and reflector are always the hardest "original"parts to locate.
good luck and have fun,and no question is dumb..if you dont know the answer just ask.many here differ on advice,but its all genuine good will and help you will recive here!
Again welcome and good luck!

steveloomis
-----
-----

#10 Post by steveloomis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Well said, I have learned so much here. Knowledge is passed out freely and a savvy builder can weed out what works for him. :smt003
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

JeffCooper

#11 Post by JeffCooper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:54 am

Here's my on-going list of needed items - no particular order except I need the bike safe and whole before I get too fancy. Otherwise this is just a brain dump :-)

Other than the safety items, I'm looking for a bunch of stuff for my new to me 84 rz350 egg beater (yellow)

OEM/NOS mirrors. I can live with repro for now
Straight bars, clamps, bolts, bolt cover bar ends

Just to track what else I'm working in:
Rear brake light switch
Left and right peg brackets
Radiator cover
Oil pump rebuild kit
Water pump impeller kit
Carb rebuild or dynojet kits?. What's best pratice here?
Carb rebuild kit for Yz250
Bridgestone BT45 ...fornt and rear
Steering damper
levers
Grips
decal kit
Shield

question
I like fat tires because it seems to slow down the handling and transition.
I'm 50. What are riders running for sizes with the Battleax tires?
Or I should ask, what is the fattest I can go without rubbing stuff?. I think thats it for now.
Dang there is a wealth of jnfo on here...thanks everyone!
Jeff Cooper
Palm Harbor, FL
1984 RZ350

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#12 Post by aaronmvrider » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:45 am

tyres.... the standard bt45 tyres are best option.... they are quite steady on highway and not real aggressive side walls for corners... you cant go wrong with them...
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

JeffCooper

#13 Post by JeffCooper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 am

You mean standard/stock sizes and all? F: 90/90-18, R: 110/80-18? I guess comng off my YZF600R I was expecting steam-roller tires and there would be room for more in the swing arm.
Jeff Cooper
Palm Harbor, FL
1984 RZ350

KR-RZ350
-----
-----

#14 Post by KR-RZ350 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:37 am

My favorite tires were the Metzler ME33 front(100/90) and ME1(120/80) in the Comp K but they are no longer available. I couldnt find anything worth while in those sizes so I went with the BTs in the stock size and couldn't be happier.

Good luck on your resto and don't forget to double your cost from you original estimate. :smt001
REI
1985 RZ350
1984 RZ350
1989 TZR250 3MA
1988 FZR400
2003 R1
2008 WR250R

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#15 Post by Evans Ward » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:41 am

The RZ handles well with stock size tires. People look at those skinny tires and are amazed how well they will handle. I'll vouch too again for Bridgestone BT-45's. On your parts list, some of those needed items can be found new or used. Also, don't forget about Economy Cycle as a go to vendor and John is a member here. He gives a 10% discount to forum members too both here and from 2 stroke world site. I think the discount code here is RD Forum and it's 2SW for the other site. He has much of your list in his stock. Reproduction Decals out of Canada also has the decal kits and I've used them for both my RZ and Kawasaki H2- good quality stuff. On the Dynojet kit, pass on this kit is you plan to run the stock airbox as the needles are designed to work with the Y boot which eliminates the stock airbox. If you are going airbox, stock needles are the way to go. You can get new main and pilot jets but be sure to get the proper type and genuine Mikuni. The hardest part to find on your list will be the OEM mirrors as they are and have been NLA from Yamaha. If yours are in decent shape, reuse them. Welcome to the site also! :smt006
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.