New member, just wanted to say hi

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

lardlad

New member, just wanted to say hi

#1 Post by lardlad » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:38 pm

I am new member to the RD/RZ owners group so just wanted to say hi, I picked up an 85 RZ last week, it has not been started in about 6 years so it certainly needs some tlc, I am enjoying reading all of the posts trying to get up to speed on everything I don't know, (which is a lot).

I would also like to apologize in advance for all of the pointless and obvious questions that I will inevitably ask over the coming months and years, in-fact I have a couple already.

When I turn on the ignition the power valves start the cleaning cycle, they close all the way and then open all the way, but when they get to the open position they don't turn off, the control unit just starts juddering, what do you think the problem is?

I started the bike today, (talk about smoke) and it will run for about 45 seconds and then die, I am guessing that the carbs probably just need cleaning, any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

zomaardan
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by zomaardan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:10 pm

:grin: Welcome and show us some pictures.

lgyee4
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by lgyee4 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:45 am

Welcome. Where are you located? Got Pics?
1985 RZ 350
1985 RZ 500
1992 WR 200

lardlad

#4 Post by lardlad » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 am

Thanks, I'm in Costa Mesa, California. I used to live in the UK where the two stoke was king, not so much these days obviously, when I first started riding all of my friends had 350 Lc's, 350 powervalves, 500 lc's or Ns400r's.

Any thoughts from any one on my two issues.

Thanks.

Masterbill

#5 Post by Masterbill » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 am

Hello,

Welcome :cool:

Carbs need cleaning for sure - I would also check airfilter. Have you used fresh fuel?

Powervalve could be sticking where it hasn't been used for a long time - cables and linkage could be tight.

Is the battery good?

Have you used new plugs ?

More questions than answers :smile:
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

lardlad

#6 Post by lardlad » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:43 am

Hi Masterbill,

I fitted a new battery, flushed the tank and used fresh fuel, I decided to use the old plugs for a few kicks just to see how it went and what do you know it started third kick, so I did not end up putting in new ones.

Thanks for the suggestion about the linkage and cables I will give them a lube up and see if it does the job, is there an easy way to lube up the powervalves with out taking them out?

Thanks,
Dave.

Masterbill

#7 Post by Masterbill » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:21 am

Hello Dave,

Nothing is easy on the 500 :razz:

It's a labour of love !

I suggest that you take lots of photo's when you take it apart to clean the carbs etc - to use a reference.

If you get the running sorted by doing the carbs the powervalve might settle down?

Cheers Bill
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Ronnie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 am

Hi dave welcome to the group! Where in the UK are you from? A couple of friends of mine moved out to simi valley a few years back, both into 2-strokes.

You're right, UK was the place to be for 2-strokes, especially the 80's. Loved it

kpke

#9 Post by kpke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 am

I too just bought a 500. But generally speaking, at least on the 350s, the foam air cleaner when pulled out of a bike that has sat for awhile just disintegrates. I would recommend checking it asap (like Masterbill said) before you suck a bunch of foam thru the intake.

I hope to rebuild my carbs today and start mine but also as Masterbill said
Nothing is easy on the 500
Good luck!!!
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

lardlad

#10 Post by lardlad » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks guys, photo's of the carbs is a good idea thanks Masterbill, hey Ronnie I'm from Norwich and you are so right, the two strokes in the 80's were awesome.

If anyone is also having the stutter problems with the YPVS servomotor, it turned out that the control arm that goes down to the front cylinder power valves was corroded at the swivel and making it hard to turn, as soon as I disconnected it and lubed it up it was as smooth as butter and no stutter.

Thanks,
Dave.

oldguy

#11 Post by oldguy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Hey Dave,

You'll find the carbs are a little bit tortuous to get off the first time you attempt it but practice makes perfect....at least it did for me as I had mine off several times to say the least.
When I HAD my 500 I went through the whole bike and learned a hell of a lot from these guys. Great group here!
I'm in north Orange County, if you ever need some advise/help just let me know. I could stop by and give you my .02 on what I've learned/know on these bikes.
Miss mine and would like to get another some day.

Dave M.

lardlad

#12 Post by lardlad » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:17 am

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the offer of advise it's much appreciated, this does seem like a great group of RZ/RD enthusiasts, it's hard to believe that the bike was released over 25 years ago and there is still such a great group of people willing to help, somehow I don't think my CBR 600 Will even be remembered in 20 years, let alone have people that want to take time out to help keep it running.

Regards,
Dave.

lgyee4
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by lgyee4 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:07 am

I'm sure after starting it, your that much more motivated to dig into it so you could ride it!
Have fun!
and good to see "oldguy" Dave here again!
1985 RZ 350
1985 RZ 500
1992 WR 200

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by Gary Papesh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:11 pm

is there an easy way to lube up the powervalves with out taking them out?
I don't think so. You could do the out side ends, but not the inside ones. I'm glad you got your servo motor moving smoothly again, so you may not have to mess around with taking them apart yet. These parts have a lot of heat and carbon fouling to deal with, which dries out the grease. Eventually they will have to cleaned up. Until then, you will have time to get acquainted with rebuilding the carbs. If you have not already done so, I would reccommend getting a Repair Manual, and a Parts Book. There is one online which will get you by, until you can find one. You also will wnt to look up the Yamaha setup video on you tube, it has some good info there. Have Fun.
Sincerely, Gary P.
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

rdoldtimer

#15 Post by rdoldtimer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:31 pm

hi i just logged in after a long time my rd is my pride an joy an realise every day that its a two stroke an are very temperamental.. last year i took it for an mot an had a shock .. it needed a new one. 3months an £300 pounds got me a new one . ijust wanted to say that these bikes will drive you to the end of your tether !!!! but when you get it out on hte open road you will see the reason why you bought one... ive been out today an was firing on 3 pots ... but i have a big box of plugs for just that emergency.. love it so bad more than the missus joiking.. dear.