Video at Circuit of the Americas 2016 with modified bike

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Video at Circuit of the Americas 2016 with modified bike

#1 Post by pstamper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:35 am

Finally back in Austin a month before the MOTO GP race. Track was cool all weekend. Mid 40 to mid 60s with 30 MPH winds from north on Saturday. Sunday was better and the bike loved the cool crisp air. Bike was fantastic with all the modifications and transmission repair by Rick lance. Had slight issue with new clutch slave and master combination but a good bleeding seemed to solve it Sunday morn. Have a 17 tooth front sprocket ready for next event either in July or September. My great friend Carl came in from Denver to help and rode my Ducati. Was a shake down for me so just rode L1. Normally ride L2. We even managed to sneak onto track with our bicycles. Went backwards from pit to turn 3 and then rode back into pits. Track was even more impressive on bikes. Elevation changes, drainage, runoff areas, gravel traps, and everything that makes this a world class facility. Was so so happy to be back at COTA. Even accomplished another personal goal and managed to get my left knee on the pavement. This is a big deal since my pelvis injury 3 years ago to this month. Thanks again Rick. :smt006 :smt006 :smt006 :smt006 Unfortunately the last and best video only recorded 2 minutes but managed a 3 minute lap with traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dskdr7lOe4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bike Sunday morning

Carl with the Duck

At turn 11 after coming off back straight

Back straight with amphitheater in background

Carl in front straight start box

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Video at Circuit of the Americas 2016 with modified bike

#2 Post by RC45 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 am

Bike looks like it goes really well :)

COTA looks like the track I should take the RS250 to, unlike the MotoX-like surface of MSR or TWS.

Whens the next outing? I would like to try get the RS done, maybe we can convoy up from Houston.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by pstamper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 am

They were talking July unfortunately or possibly September. I was only L1 so had to be careful. L2 there is outside passing I believe everywhere but the essses. Lines by a lot of riders were terrible in both L1 and L2 from what I was told by others. Lot of crashes all day long with cold track. Lots of low sides. Someone lost a drain nut and dumped oil halfway to 11 and almost half a mile on back straight directly on the race line. Bet that cost a pretty penny to clean up for that rider. 2 hour delay and jet drier had to be used. COTA comes in when track surface is at least 100 degrees. Still enough grip to get left knee down finally. My body position has improved so much doing 4 track days in the rain last year.

Tire wear was great.

This was there in L2 for a second time and he is somewhere south of Houston.

kpke

#4 Post by kpke » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 am

Nice video and nice riding Paul.

The bike sounds really good.

I see your clutch hand working on downshifts but not on up shifts.

Are you not clutching on up shifts? Or just lightning fast with the left hand?
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

podman

#5 Post by podman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Cracking, enjoyed the vid and love what you've done with the bike, looks and sounds sweet.

two-stroke-brit

#6 Post by two-stroke-brit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:16 pm

so was the frame swap worth the effort..
was the handling noticeably improved.
nice vid as ell.
cheers mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !!

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by pstamper » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks guys. Thanks Mark for help with the parts you fabricated. Track pictures will be uploaded in the next few days. Too bad the last session did not record because it was the best of the weekend. The RZV frame swap was worth it and seems to be rock solid. Only one wiggle coming into 10 but that is slightly off camber and drops. Steering damper will stop that. The direction change is better with weight reduction. Have not had time to check geometry and weight distribution. I think the shock has lost the nitrogen charge because the rebound adjustments are hard to hear. Or at least that is what suspension guy said.

Shifting has gotten better. I seldom use first so the rest of the up-shifts I do not use the clutch. The tranny is better than it was after Rick replaced some parts he luckily had. If I had better ankle range and motion i could shift faster but it works well enough. I barely touch the clutch on downshifts and rely on engine noise to time the shifts. You have to watch my Barber video from 2011 and see the engine management ideas that Rick taught me. Most of the time I never look at tach except front and rear straights. It will pull 12K but the dyno runs had it running out of power at 9600 rpm.

BARBER VIDEO AND HOW NOT TO RIDE. HURTS TO WATCH THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWv1GKiHhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The biggest change is how it now accelerates out of tight corners and at 8K. I try to carry more speed than the 4 strokes into the corner and because of the handling can turn in later giving more room to accelerate while getting the bike to stand back up. The EBC brakes allow me to keep accelerating past the big bikes at the end of straights. Into turn 11 I am braking between 100 to 50 feet. End of back straight i was at 175 to 100 feet. Since myself and everyone else is a track day rider I worry a bike in front of me might go down in corner and be where my runoff would be. When no one is in front of me I would brake deeper. I load the brakes about 10% to get the suspension to set and to flatten the front tire out then apply as much as it will take. Entering corner I am down to a finger or two on the lever to keep steering angle steeper so it will turn better. Back straight is .72 miles long and there is a huge runoff area if you can't stop. On a good lap right knee down turns 7, 9, 14, 16 to 18, and left at 1, 11, and could at 12, but I am usually concentrating on not lowsiding with the speed you are slowing down from. Can usually trail brake to apex or mid corner. All in all the new set up and engine work was worth the effort. Now I have to put the street bike back together.

two-stroke-brit

#8 Post by two-stroke-brit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 pm

thats great paul, and quite technical to the race virgins among us . :smt023
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !!

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by pstamper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:34 am

Really not that technical if you have an hour or so. Joking. They caught it on film. First week track day to start getting left knee down. Will post a few more when I get time. MSR in a week.

RIGHT BEFORE KNEE DOWN. SEE HOW FRONT SUSPENSION IS COMPRESSED. COMPRESSEDImage

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by pstamper » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:31 pm

A FEW MORE PICKS FROM CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by pstamper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:00 pm

http://msrhouston.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sunday and 15 riders from our sport group going. Will be fun to terrorize them. Back to Level 2 so should be fun. Sunny and close to 80 degrees Sunday. Can I say perfect. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by pstamper » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:25 pm

ANOTHER PICK OF MY SCOOTER. Track day Sunday and ready to go. 78 and sunny. Video next week.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by RC45 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:57 am

The Pit Bull Trailer Restraint is awesome isn't it?

That is one of the best investments I ever made. I love just wheeling the bike into the clip and that's it - no straps or tie downs.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by pstamper » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:13 am

Work really well. Taking a Suzuki 750 with me Sunday. He races CMRA but lives near me. The other stand fits his bike and he was wanting to buy one. He can see how well it works. Be nice to be on a shorter track also for me.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by pstamper » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Just found a parade lap video from the weekend I was there. camera caught me on my bicycle just as they were entering the paddock area. I was in the white and red leathers straight ahead. Gives a better look at the entire facility. Can not wait till July, it is going to be so fricking hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQrqnA5TbU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;