Mickey Krupa Tribute Build Thread

Working together to finish Mickey's RZ500!

Moderator: rztom

BRIAN TURFREY

#31 Post by BRIAN TURFREY » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks Mark,

E-mail me your e-mail address and i will send you some pic's of the broken parts.

How was the superbike races down there this year ? How won the Xmas races?

Brian

BTURFREY@AOL.COM

rztom
Site Admin

#32 Post by rztom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 am

A tip of the helmet goes to Wolfgang, Mike, Dave and Paul for their contributions.... thanks guys!!! :smt023

oldguy

#33 Post by oldguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 pm

BRIAN TURFREY wrote:Hi to all, I just want to say a real big thanks,,,, and i mean a real big thanks to you guys for stepping up to the plate when needed. It is so good that people are offering parts and money for Mickey's build. He would be real happy. I have come up with just about everything i need to complete this build except for,

Piston set ( must be 57.5mm )
Gasket set ( everything )
Inner Clutch hub
Cylinder Powervalve end caps x3

If anyone has any leads to where i can buy the above parts from please let me know.
Thanks again.

Brian

TEAM TURFREY RACING
663 HEDBURG WAY
OAKDALE
CA - 95361
USA

209 345 - 7957
BTURFREY@AOL.COM
oh yea,, a big pot of best wishes to all my friends down there in New Zealand. Hope you all are doing well after the shocker. My mother still lives in Wanganui, lucky no shockers up there.
Brian,
I purchased all my parts from Riverside Yamaha in Alberta, Canada. Really nice group of people and very helpfull.

www.riversideyamaha-suzuki.com

Dave M.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#34 Post by jak167 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 am

Well, got back from CO late Wed night. Needless-to-say it was a rough week. Posted some updates on RIP Mickey thread.

Anyway, have been thrilled with everyone's response to Mick's bucket list wish for his RZ500. It really gives me hope that we'll get this build done.

I'll try to get to the bank today to open a new account to which we can deposit donations and I can account to all RE where the money is being spent. Also, does anyone know if you can open a donation paypal account? Looked on their website, didn't see anything like that listed.

Also, besides the motor/pipes Brian's working to complete, I have the rolling chassis. Mick had it powder coated black. Mick and I grafted on R6 front end/brakes and rear swingarm in August (he was in a wheelchair but could still use his hands at the time). Also have new rear Penske shock. Have all of the stock hardware, bolts, etc. to reassemble everything. However, I am going to need help identifying additional parts needed to complete the build. In particular: 1) still have stock wire harness and switch gear. Harness is in average shape, so we may need a new one. 2) Mick had planned on getting a Zeeltronic (installed the one with him into his RZ350 in August so I'll need some tips to make the RZ500 one go smoothly). 3) stock bodywork has been damaged in a crash and is not really worthy to be reinstalled (including lights and signals), so need to know where we can get trick stuff. 4) Need to find a painter who does sick work. 5) tank was damaged in same crash needs to be repaired/repainted. 6) Depending upon bodywork, may also need new fairing bracket (his was a little tweaked) and dash. 6) I only have stock carbs and Brian indicated he would do some homework RE the best carbs for this motor.

Any help and guidance RE where to go and from whom to get these parts would be great.

Even though everyone has generously offered parts and $ to make this build happen, I know times are still tough for everyone. So, Mick and I previously planned on selling off a bunch of his stock parts to help generate cash to complete his project, but now I am willing to trade/donate these parts to anyone who needs them. I'll work on posting pictures later, but I have the following: 1) stock fairing, prob a 5 out of 10 (the seat cowl was aftermarket and is prob a 3 of 10). 2) original front and rear gold wheels w Metzler tires, 8 of 10 (Mick just put new rotors on bike only have approx 1000 miles use). 3) stock exhaust pipes, 6 of 10 (a few scuffs and scrapes. 4) stock front forks, 8 of 10. 5) stock front and rear brake calipers, 7 of 10. 6) stock rear shock, 8 of 10. As I get more organized, I'll get a more detailed list.

thanks again for everyone's help. Anyone who needs to reach me can post here (duh), email me at johnakrupa@gmail.com, or call/txt me at (708) 227 5805.

John

rztom
Site Admin

#35 Post by rztom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:39 am

John - don't worry about a paypal donation account... I have already been collecting members' contributions thru my paypal account. I'll contact you by email so we can sort it out.

And the latest thanks go out to Steve, Vin and Adrian for their help! :smt023

rztom
Site Admin

#36 Post by rztom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 pm

OK - the momentum's building.... thanks David and RGVSteve for the contributions, awesome!!! :cool:

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#37 Post by jak167 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Thx to all who have donated. It means a lot.

I have applied for an Illinois Not For Profit Corporation called Mickey's Madmen, Inc. Myself, Mickey's great friend Ian Wallace from CO, and Brian Turfrey have all agreed to be on the initial board of directors. I hope to have the final acceptance from the State of Illinois on Monday and hope to have the account up the same day. I will be getting the IRS 501(c)(3) designation shortly.

Haven't quite come up with full purpose yet, but based upon Mick's willingness to always help others achieve their goals I have a rough summary being: to help disabled and terminal ill people enjoy living their life by doing, not just existing. For example, helping to secure a mono-ski sled for the Beaver Creek Ski School (were Mick taught) so that disabled skiers would not need to buy their own sled just to go skiing, or helping terminally ill kids attend the MotoGP in Indy, etc.

Once I get the IRS designation, we will give a little back to all who have helped from this forum, and in the future, bc you will get a tax write-off. It's just a small thank you.

Hope to also create some Mickey's Madmen, Inc. gear we can sell for donations. Would like to come up with three different logos based upon Mick's three loves, motorcycling, skiing, and bicycling. As you can see by my long posts, I'm a word man, my art sucks. Any ideas or suggestions on logo design would be great.

John

aaronmvrider

#38 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:06 am

you rock.. good luck with the 350.. i see you also on the other side :grin: :grin: great forum great bunch of people
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

zomaardan
- - - - -
- - - - -

#39 Post by zomaardan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 pm

R.I.P
I dont have much to spare but i will try to sent some with paypal, again it wont be much but many hairs make a brush.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#40 Post by jak167 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 pm

To All:

I have the confirmation for MICKEY'S MADMEN, INC. an Illinois Not-for-Profit Corporation; and, I have secured mickeysmadmen.com/org! The paperwork has been submitted to the accountant who is going through the process to secure the FEIN and the 501(c)(3) designation. Unfortunately, as expected, the 503(c)(3) designation will probably take a few months.

In the interim, I have established a bank account in my name with Bank of America. I will be speaking with Tom RE getting the deposits transferred as well as a list of those who have donated. Upon getting the 501(c)(3) designation, all of your contributions in tax year 2011 will be considered tax deductible! :grin:

Bc I feel in full disclosure, I will provide the account info to anyone who wants to PM me to allow direct deposits and will account to all here RE the money you've all graciously donated on behalf of my brother. Once the IRS gets their act together, I will open the official corporate account.

The Board of Directors of Mickey's Madmen will be hopefully having our first meeting shortly. I give you an update of discussion once they occur.

Had a great conversation with Brian today RE the progress on Mickey's motor. He recently had a conversation with Gus, which amazed both of us, and indicated that Gus has continued with his same BS. He had promised Brian numerous parts which would add up to the $2.5k Mickey had given him; but, not surprisingly, after close to six weeks of waiting, Brian has only received a pair of cranks and some bolts (approx $700-750 value).

Brian has the motor completely apart, cleaned, inspected and indicated he would get an email to me with parts list. Once received, I will post here and begin utilizing our donated funds and member's generous offers to secure what we need.

I also spoke with Brian on an approximate time table for completion of the motor and the rest of the build. I asked because I have an idea which may be enjoyable for everyone. I would like to make an open invitation to all members of the forum, friends, etc. to join us at Road America racetrack for the AMA Superbike Weekend the first weekend of June, 2011. We would use this weekend as a "get to know ya" for everyone here as well as a reveal of Mickey's completed tribute RZ500. I've camped at the track for many races and its a blast. I bet if we got a bunch of people interested, we can secure discounted passes/camp fees/ etc. for everyone. Plus, it would be a good time to hit up the pros to help Mickey's Madmen explode. :grin:

Once again, I thank everyone and I am proud of everyone who has jumped on our band wagon to fix this wrong. Even though some people think were nuts for loving motorcycles, I know that most of the best people Mickey and I have ever met have ridden bikes. And even though I have never met any of you in person, I'm honored and humbled by your response, and would call any one of you my friend.

John

Blackshaheen

#41 Post by Blackshaheen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Very cool. :cool:
Thanks for keeping this updated.
D.

rztom
Site Admin

#42 Post by rztom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am

Latest pics in from Brian Turfrey of Mick's motor. New cranks in and cases buttoned up....

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#43 Post by rzatch » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 am

:smt023

rztom
Site Admin

#44 Post by rztom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

I will be breaking this thread up to separate the positive from the negative, so watch for a new "Mickey's Tribute" thread soon.... :cool:

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#45 Post by Ronnie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Good to see the engine coming together. :smt041