Paint Codes ???

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

motojohn

Paint Codes ???

#1 Post by motojohn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:03 am

Does any body know ware i can find the paint code's for my rd500lc euro colors Red/Black .
and please don't say under the seat !!
Im doing afull respray im having truble finding the right paint as i think they were slightly metalic but it may have been in the top coat
to many toys to little time

1601pete

#2 Post by 1601pete » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 am

Hey John

I'm in the same boat. I want to respray mine (also red and black) before the summer. But like like you want to get the colours matched perfectly.

Who are you using when you finally get the paint sorted? I noticed your in the south west.

I'm just north of Bristol. You far away???

Cheers

Pete

motojohn

#3 Post by motojohn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 am

im doing it myself as i have a small spray booth in my workshop ,its only 10'x6' but plenty big enough to do bodywork or frames .
i was looking at doing it in a 1 pack base with a 2 pack clear top , but im thinking that the 2k top coat had the metalic sparkel in it .
the red is the same as the red and white one so thats the code i need ,the black will not be hard to sort .

motojohn

#4 Post by motojohn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 am

sorry im in Exeter

oldguy

#5 Post by oldguy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:38 am

John / Pete, take a look here.

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... aint+codes

Good luck,

Dave M.

motojohn

#6 Post by motojohn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 am

thanks for that Dave it sort of helps but now im not shure if it is metalic or not ? i will do some more resurch ,im in no hurry as the engine is in bits

oldguy

#7 Post by oldguy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:37 pm

This was mine before I sold it a couple of years ago. The guy that picked it up from me completed the restoration and did an excellent job on having the paint matched.
Maybe PM him for some paint info as I don't see him on here that often.

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... highlight=

Good luck!

Dave M

Daveuk

#8 Post by Daveuk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Take a look at this site /give the guy a ring he has all the colours you need ,he is very knowledgeable,knew the colours by year etc.for my import RZV eg.early ones were chappy red later ones/ uk versions stormy red (they need special groundcoat too).

He is able to supply in solvent basecoats too rather than waterbased so fitting transfers under laquer is not a problem.(waterbased will wash off when you try to fit stripes etc with soapy water)Man I hate waterbase. :-x

http://www.bikecolours.com/

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Ronnie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:04 pm

I don't know yet how that problem will be solved. Many bikes have transfers under the clearcoat but as you say the waterbased is a pain to put the transfers on. I'm hanging on with solvents for as long as I can but pretty soon they'll be unavailable, what happens then I don't know.

Daveuk

#10 Post by Daveuk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

At the moment there is an agreement with the powers that be that solvent based paint for motorcycles is allowed because of small amount used/needed and also the difficulties in applying said transfers over waterbased basecoats.
A paint supplier is now breaking the law if he sells any solvent based paint exc.high solids laquer and primers if it is to be used on a car.mind you it is not illegal to sell it in rattle cans,so thats 100 rattle cans of transit diamond white please guvnor :grin:

He might guess if you ask for 2.5 ltr yamaha red basecoat that you may be painting your car :cool:

Aaah bring back some good old cellulose

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Ronnie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I have no problem getting solvent based basecoat for car refinishing. My supplier still has his solvent mixing racks next to his waterbased racks. Obviously his suppliers still sell him it or he couldn't get it!

motojohn

#12 Post by motojohn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Take a look at this site /give the guy a ring he has all the colours you need ,he is very knowledgeable,knew the colours by year etc.for my import RZV eg.early ones were chappy red later ones/ uk versions stormy red (they need special groundcoat too).

He is able to supply in solvent basecoats too rather than waterbased so fitting transfers under laquer is not a problem.(waterbased will wash off when you try to fit stripes etc with soapy water)Man I hate waterbase.

http://www.bikecolours.com/
thanks for that mate