Funny things people ask

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Mike Cichetti
- - - - -
- - - - -

Funny things people ask

#1 Post by Mike Cichetti » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:04 am

We've all had people ask us dumb questions about our bikes, like why did I put fake pipes under my seat or what's the kick starter for. The other day we had some company and someone was looking at my Rainey replica asked me if I used to smoke Marlboro's? Obviously not a race fan.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by Ronnie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 am

I was asked the "smoke marlboro?" question several times. No, i hate smoking with a passion, but when you want a rep, what do you do? I was once asked when the bike was 2 days old way back in 1985, , "why is there 4 exhausts and only 2 cylinders?" as he looked at the front of the engine, "the clue" I said, "is the big V4 sticker on the side"

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by rzatch » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:54 pm

When I had my bike painted in Marlboro livery I was asked if I had gotten it with Marlboro miles :shock: For you non smokers Marlboro used to have Marlboro mile coupons on the side of the pack that you could save up and send in for merchandise. Seeing how each pack was only worth 5 miles and a key ring was about 400 miles it would have taken about 17 millions packs. :grin:

geakins

#4 Post by geakins » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:13 pm

People often ask what are those two pipes sticking out under the seat? are they real?
My reply was always no, those are fake they are actually hot dog cookers.
You pop the end caps off and drop the hot dogs in and start the engine and they are ready in 5 minutes. :smt005

smurf 1

#5 Post by smurf 1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:31 pm

I had an old bloke looking over my bike outside mcdonalds when we came out he said smart bike lad but why put the fake exhausts under the seat, as he said it he put his finger up one of the pipes and was'nt too happy when he pulled it out all black and smelly, he just looked at me and said oh! they are real did'nt know they made a 4 cylinder 350 at which point I said that's why it says RD 500 V4 on the side.
He was last seen heading for the bog to wash his finger, at his age he should know better
RD500 47 X 1985
DUCATI S2R 2005
AJS 650 DL 1959
http://www.motorbike-restoration.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alan

oldguy

#6 Post by oldguy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:38 am

I once rolled up to a red light where there were three other younger Yamaha riders and I hit out of the gate hard......at the next light they rolled up to me and told me my bike was smoking really bad and that I should take it to the dealer to have it checked out.......I just nodded and told them I would check it out when I got home.

Mike Cichetti
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Mike Cichetti » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 am

I've heard that more than once, I tell them when it stops smoking I'll worry.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Ronnie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:11 am

I used to say, "yeah, it's smoking marlboro, can't you read"

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Andrew » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Ronnie wrote:I used to say, "yeah, it's smoking marlboro, can't you read"
:grin: :grin: :grin:
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

nberchem
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by nberchem » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:51 am

Here in Oregon our stupid law states that you can pump your own gas. Diesel vehicles were always an exception. I think it was back in the 90s they amended it so bikers could fill their own tanks. To bad the pump attendants don't know this; min wage doesn't attract the cream of the crop to the job and too many of them got smacked for spilling gas on on people's custom painted tanks. More often than not when I fill up my bike at the pump I catch crap from a moron attendant who thinks they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. All of my bikes are pre-mix and they always have to ask what's in the bottle? why are you putting it in there? I ain't ever seen that before. Then they refuse to let me use the pump so I have to explain to them that it's legal for me to fill the bike and I grew up in California (makes 'em double pissed) so I know how run a gas pump.

Nick

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Matty » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:11 am

This thread is hilarious. Nick I can't belive that you have a law saying you can't pump your own fuel.
The last time I had my RZ on a dyno the mechanic couldn't find the start button, I pointed at the kick starter and after several poor attempts I told him that he had to kick it harder, i was still surprised when it sprung into life after an insipid kick. To give him credit he wasn't much over 20 years old but it surprises me that a motorcycle mechanic of any age has never kickstarted a motorcycle.
I'm not a complete idiot...some parts are missing.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by Ronnie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:32 am

The last time I saw a pump attendant was 1981! I remember the guy putting fuel in the tank on my 50cc moped and it splashed everywhere. Not good. All self service now. In fact, a lot of them are fully automated now, just stick your credit card in and pump away, not an empolyee in sight. Another job lost to technology.

Masterbill

#13 Post by Masterbill » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:16 am

Hello,

Not so much a funny thing people ask, but what they say.

People keep telling me that they had one! - Yamaha must have sold millions of them :shock:
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

lgyee4
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by lgyee4 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:15 pm

oldguy wrote:I once rolled up to a red light where there were three other younger Yamaha riders and I hit out of the gate hard......at the next light they rolled up to me and told me my bike was smoking really bad and that I should take it to the dealer to have it checked out.......I just nodded and told them I would check it out when I got home.
Hilarious!! :smt046
1985 RZ 350
1985 RZ 500
1992 WR 200

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by ixe13 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Masterbill wrote:
People keep telling me that they had one!
Everybody had one like this except that it was green with knobby tires !