Rg500 fork issue

Sub forum for RG400/RG500 owners and enthusiasts

Moderator: rztom

2strokejamoke

Rg500 fork issue

#1 Post by 2strokejamoke » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:53 pm

My bike came with 92 gsxr750 forks on it, the stock gsxr rate is .74kg/mm. The stock gamma rate is .56kg/mm. I was recommended. 80 kg/mm spring for gamma on racetechs website for my weight (200lb).So, there is no sag whatsoever in the forks, when I leaned it onto the stand it stays fully extended. The preload adjusters are all the way out. The front tire is completely worn out in 1500 miles on the sides, I think it's because the forks just don't move. I put a zip tie on the leg and it used about ⅓ of the travel, hard braking in the mountains and that's all they would compress. Way way to stiff. Is there a way I can tell what spring rate I have? I am going to disassemble the forks tomorrow.  Please let me know what you think, thanks -Ian

MK

Re: Rg500 fork issue

#2 Post by MK » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:13 am

That sounds like too much oil in the fork legs.
Usually you adjust an air chamber length above the oil level.
But this has to be done at full fork travel. If someone does it with a fully extended leg, the air chamber is much too small. The effect would be as you described - a much too hard fork that is hardly moving.
Bye
Martin

motosapien

Re: Rg500 fork issue

#3 Post by motosapien » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:35 pm

2strokejamoke wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:53 pm My bike came with 92 gsxr750 forks on it, the stock gsxr rate is .74kg/mm. The stock gamma rate is .56kg/mm. I was recommended. 80 kg/mm spring for gamma on racetechs website for my weight (200lb).So, there is no sag whatsoever in the forks, when I leaned it onto the stand it stays fully extended. The preload adjusters are all the way out. The front tire is completely worn out in 1500 miles on the sides, I think it's because the forks just don't move. I put a zip tie on the leg and it used about ⅓ of the travel, hard braking in the mountains and that's all they would compress. Way way to stiff. Is there a way I can tell what spring rate I have? I am going to disassemble the forks tomorrow.  Please let me know what you think, thanks -Ian

750 forks spirings were designed to work on a 450lbs bike. I recommend you take it to a suspension shop. If you live in asheville area reach out to cogent dynamics or fast bike industries.