No brake lights

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Juicebox

No brake lights

#1 Post by Juicebox » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Forgive the question if its been discussed previously, but when I do a search, I get lots of results, but I cant tell which posts actually contain any information. Anyway, my brake lights dont work. The tail lights work, but front and rear brake lights do nothing. I took the bulbs out and put them in another bike and they worked. Took the bulb out of the working bike and put in the other bike and it didnt work. I dont understand electronics at all and im nervous to try and figure this out for fear of making things worse. Any simple remedies?

steveloomis
-----
-----

#2 Post by steveloomis » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:19 pm

This is a simple switch arrangement only. Did you check fuses? I will look up color codes.

The signal fuse powers the brake lights and the turn signals and a few other things. If the fuse is ok, can you confirm with a voltmeter? Should read approx 12 volts on both sides of the fuse with ignition on, red wire of voltmeter on fuse and black to good ground or battery negetive. The rear brake light switch has a brown wire going to it. This 12Volts from the signal fuse, when depressed switches 12 volts to the green/yellow wire and goes directly to the stop light. Front is the same way. Simple switching of 12 volts to the green/yellow wire going to the rear bulb. If you do not have a voltmeter, get a cheap one at Radio Shack. Probably less than 20 bucks. Invaluable in troubleshooting. In this case a test bulb with leads soldered on will suffice, ground the shell of bulb and bulb tip goes to 12volt under test.
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

Juicebox

#3 Post by Juicebox » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for the help Steve. I think I have a meter. It is an instrument with 2 probes that plug in to a box and has a dial for choosing several different settings. I wont be able to check until Monday, but I will let you know then or ask more questions. This bike doesnt have signals, could this have an effect on the situation? Thanks again.

steveloomis
-----
-----

#4 Post by steveloomis » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Lack of signals is NO problem. Yes, sounds like you have a meter. Just set the dial to DC volts and the range to something above 12v but not too high as you will lose resolution. You may have a 20v range and that is fine.

Do not use the OHM function on a powered circuit. This is used to check resistance and continuity. Brief lesson. You will need a battery in the meter to use the ohm function. Voltage it is not necessary unless it is a digital meter.

For ohm test, select ohm and set for x1 or similar setting. Touch the leads together and you will see a meter movement, there is a small dial that you adjust for 0 (zero), disconnect and meter will swing up to infinity. To check a wire, just touch the leads to each end and you should see 0 ohms or close, this is a short as we call it. Any upscale from o is the resistance measured. Check a coil, measure each side with it disconnected from other wiring. If you do not get a reading, depending on what the reading is supposed to be, you may have to change ranges. Each range change should be re-calibrated to zero as above. Read on the ohm scale.

If checking a coil or similar device, if you do not get a reading no matter which range you select, you may have an open coil, broken wire or maybe just a corroded connection.

Steve
'81 RD350LC hybrid w/84 RZ engine. Zeel, Old style Toomeys, Yboot and filter 420 main 22.5 pilot, Air screw 2.5 turns out, DJ needle 2nd from top, Canadian VM26 carbs.
'85 KR/RZ US. Tank is seeping causing a blister in paint.....

Denund

Re: No brake lights

#5 Post by Denund » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 am

Juicebox wrote:Forgive the question if its been discussed previously, but when I do a search, I get lots of results, but I cant tell which posts actually contain any information. Anyway, my brake lights dont work. The tail lights work, but front and rear brake lights do nothing. I took the led lighting out and put them in another bike and they worked. Took the bulb out of the working bike and put in the other bike and it didnt work. I dont understand electronics at all and im nervous to try and figure this out for fear of making things worse. Any simple remedies?
Check battery connections. If not than hire some expert
Last edited by Denund on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

ricar

#6 Post by ricar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:49 am

Best thing there may be a test light. They are fantastic., just stick them in connectors and where they light, things are good. When they don't back up.
84 RZ. Half naked, SpecIIs, GSXR front end, FZ swingarm, SV rear wheel, trail tech speedo/tach

RD 347

Re: No brake lights

#7 Post by RD 347 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi;
Did you fix it?
Thanks