My Blinged-Out RZ Project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

acormier7

#46 Post by acormier7 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:03 am

Smoker wrote:
acormier7 wrote:These are the set of top triple clamp and risers I made at work. I'm using Renthal fat bar's that a motocross kid at work donated to the cause.
All I can say is, "WOW!"

What you've made is really what I need, too. I searched everywhere and couldn't find an aftermarket top clamp with a solid flat surface for mounting the Fatbar Clamps. I found some, but not for the '07 GSXR600.

I even contacted a few manufacturers, and asked if they could sell me a top clamp without the cut-outs, but no one would do it.

When I said "these parts may not fit together" - I meant that I may have to sell the Yana Shiki Top Clamp for a loss, and have a custom top clamp fabricated. Since I don't have the OEM top clamp specs - I figured I'd give the Yana Shiki a try, first.
The real reason I made my own top triple was like you I wanted a flat surface to mount bar risers for the fat bars to. I also wanted the key in the stock location.
Art in Peterborough

Smoker

#47 Post by Smoker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am

acormier7 wrote:With the money your spending and yocan still afford beer? :-D
Just barely. No beer for the past month.

Keep in mind, I started buying these parts in October of 2007. I've posted 6 months of buying parts in 6 days.

The truth is, I can't really afford all this stuff, but I don't care - I'll deal with it somehow. Most likely, I'll be paying for these parts over time, just like I financed a new Ducati, or other expensive bike.

I don't want a Ducati anyway - I want an RZ that can hang with the Ducatis!

MBoyett220

#48 Post by MBoyett220 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm with you on that smoker. I am doing the same thing, spending a fortune albeit slowly, to get exactly what I want. I'll try to learn to post some pics maybe this weekend. Michael

Smoker

#49 Post by Smoker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:02 pm

MBoyett220 wrote:I'm with you on that smoker. I am doing the same thing, spending a fortune albeit slowly, to get exactly what I want. I'll try to learn to post some pics maybe this weekend. Michael
I'd love to see pictures of your project.

All of you guys from this website are a big influence on my decision to build this bike.

Watching all those "Biker Build-off" and "Custom Chopper" shows on TV got me thinking about it. Then, when I found this website and saw all of the stuff you guys are doing - I knew I needed this in my life.

Special thanks to hellmans - I really admire your enthusiasm for the RZ, and your posts always motivate me.

nixnix

#50 Post by nixnix » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:59 am

smoker,

I did get your reply, come by when you can.

When do you expect your bike to be ready?

great stuff you are getting, giving me ideas for my next venture! :D

Right now I'm getting ideas for the components I want to use, for this project I want to take to the next level from I what I have done already. A more radical high performance street fighter.

And yes, RGVsteve will be involved!! He has done some great shit for me!
Steve, been told the P-40 will be in a near future "American Flyers" , just waiting for the call to take it in for pics.

Smoker

#51 Post by Smoker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:04 am

Here is one of the many unresolved problems/issues that I'm having.

I've been searching for months to find the right aftermarket gauges to build a custom dash. Finally, I found some that I think are perfect for this bike - and sadly, it looks like they are no longer available.

I sent an email to a retailer who still has these gauges on their website, and I also sent an email to the manufacturer, but never got a reply from either one.

Here are the gauges I wish I could get. The tachometer displays mph/kph in the digital window, and I would get a water temp/voltmeter, instead of the water temp/oil temp.

I've seen the new versions of these same gauges, but I don't like them as much. I'm going to make one more attempt to contact the manufacturer, then I'll start looking for something else.

At this point, I may need to start looking at some OEM gauges from different bikes.

Smoker

#52 Post by Smoker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:40 am

nixnix wrote:smoker,

I did get your reply, come by when you can.

When do you expect your bike to be ready?
Cool, nixnix - I'm looking forward to meeting you.

I can't really say when the bike will be done, because there are still too many unresolved issues, such as the gauges (choosing them and getting the electronic speedo connected), and the unreleased Brembo Rear Caliper. There are also several other parts that need to be custom made which I haven't addressed, yet.

I'm determined to get this project finished as fast as possible, but I don't want to compromise on the parts or custom work. If I could get it finished in 4-6 months, I'd be very happy.

I've still got a whole bunch of cool ideas for this bike rolling around in my little brain.

acormier7

#53 Post by acormier7 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:41 am

Maybe one of these would work for you?

http://www.electrosport.com/street/spee ... s-3950.php

http://www.electrosport.com/street/spee ... s-4000.php

I think I'm going to order the 3962 next week. I used an Acewell 2700 I think on my XS650 street tracker and it works great

Art in Peterborough

Smoker

#54 Post by Smoker » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 pm

acormier7 wrote:Maybe one of these would work for you?
Thanks, Art- I hadn't seen the new 4000 series, which is very nice. It looks like it might be a larger diameter than their other round gauges, which I like. The one thing that doesn't fit with my bike is the 20,000 RPM tach. The face is also a bit "busy" with so much info.

I also like the square/rectangle digital type gauge that you are looking at, but I think it's a little to "high-tech" for this particular bike.

I found a pic of the SPA Voltmeter/Water Temp Gauge, it comes with either black or white face, and can be backlit with red, blue or green.

Like I mentioned, the SPA Tach/Speedo with the white face and green backlight isn't available. The new version is available with white or black face, but only has red or blue backlighting, and a color-changing needle ( :roll: ).

It comes with:
Digital LCD display for RPM or Speed MPH/KMH user programmable
Switchable odometer
Standing quarter timer including terminal speed
Programmable acceleration timer e.g.: 0

If I can't get the tach in the white/green combo, I might settle for the black/red (or white/red) - but I'm going to check out some OEM gauges, first.

acormier7

#55 Post by acormier7 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:13 pm

The thing I like about Acewell gauges is it has everything you need in a nice package. The 2700 model (below)I have on my tracker is a quality piece at a good price.

Art in Peterborough

Smoker

#56 Post by Smoker » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:07 pm

Last night, I tried out the Crown Race Puller. It couldn't have been easier to pull the lower bearing race from the stem. The next step is to start measuring for a custom spacer.

I received the new needle bearings, races, and seals for the front conversion:

Later tonight, I'll try to post my ideas for a new steering stop/steering damper mount (combo) which will be welded onto the head tube and work with the GSXR600 lower triple clamp and steering damper.

I got the word that the EBC X-type Front Rotors are in the US and will be shipped out to me on Wednesday. The Rear Rotor isn't done yet, and it'll be a couple more weeks for the manufacturing.

I sent another email to SPA Design about getting the Tach/Speedo I want, but I doubt I'll get a response.
Last edited by Smoker on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acormier7

#57 Post by acormier7 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:21 am

I ordered the Acewell 3962 tonight. I'll keep you posted how it works out.
Art in Peterborough

Smoker

#58 Post by Smoker » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:09 am

Didn't have time to finish the drawings for the steering stop/steering damper mount, but I should be able to post up tomorrow night.

Tonight, I was searching for the best price on the Brembo Billet HP Front Calipers. Man, I hate paying retail!!

The Brembo front calipers have been ordered, and there's a big pain in my right butt cheek, where my wallet used to be.

Last edited by Smoker on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker

#59 Post by Smoker » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:12 am

acormier7 wrote:I ordered the Acewell 3962 tonight. I'll keep you posted how it works out.
Looking forward to seeing it installed and checking out the details on your connections.

hellmanns

#60 Post by hellmanns » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Smoker wrote:
MBoyett220 wrote:I'm with you on that smoker. I am doing the same thing, spending a fortune albeit slowly, to get exactly what I want. I'll try to learn to post some pics maybe this weekend. Michael
I'd love to see pictures of your project.

All of you guys from this website are a big influence on my decision to build this bike.

Watching all those "Biker Build-off" and "Custom Chopper" shows on TV got me thinking about it. Then, when I found this website and saw all of the stuff you guys are doing - I knew I needed this in my life.

Special thanks to hellmans - I really admire your enthusiasm for the RZ, and your posts always motivate me.
Naaaahhhhh :oops:
I'll post more pics today of my multi-position rearsets and the new engine mount :-D

Your bike will look bling-lovely-billet-asskicking!!! You should buy some condoms now if you're single... :twisted:
"...It's just like traveling on a plane, but, without that horrible meal... and with the window opened..."
(RD350 87')