I can't hold back any longer, things are taking shape...

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Kazz

#31 Post by Kazz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 am

Hey caetano62,

I rode a CR500 for the first time about a month ago, I liked it, but am kinda used to the KX. Funny how you get so used to something that another bike feels weird. The CR felt more like a motocross bike to me. I do mostly trail riding and like to stretch the legs on the KX across harvested fields here in Saskatchewan. You can really ring out the 500 here if you want to. After I rode the CR I can see how it would be hard to supermoto, I thought my KX was hard to ride on pavement :smt005 When I ride the (other) supermoto's I can ride them like a mini, just pin it everywhere, the fourstrokes are sooo easy to ride... I am thinking the 350 motor will be good and smooth also.(hopefully) Actually I don't really care as it will be mostly rode on the street and only doing a handfull of supermoto track days as time is at a premium for me now :smt013

Kazz

#32 Post by Kazz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:13 pm

yesterdays progress. a few more gussets and one more chunck of pipe to add into the frame to stiffen up the down tube. then I can mount the rads and cut a hole for the rad hoses. mount the coil and ypvs motor, etc. I think its going to come together fairly quick. I wanted to get it out this fall before the snow fly's for a bit of a shakedown run and change a few things if they need it. Not going to happen now so I guess it will get painted and done completely for the spring without any testing. I hope everything works out allright and it handles well. Its alot of work at this point. I can't wait to start on the pipes...

caetano62

#33 Post by caetano62 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Hey Jazz,

Thanks for keeping the photos coming. I am totally stoked on this project and plan to do something similar at some point in my life. So your plans are to get it street legal? Fantastic. Please keep the photos rolling. Can I get you to make a second set of pipes for me? I'm serious. If you get a chance can you send me some hi-resolution photos to my email: caetano62@yahoo.com ?

Thanks,
Brian

Kazz

#34 Post by Kazz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:39 pm

I'll try to get some good shots tomorrow, I plan on assembling it for mounting the rads. As far as another set of pipes, possibly a second set after I build the first and test them. There is a local dyno here now so some runs on the dyno will be a must. I need to get some software for sectioning the cones for 90 degree bends. I can buy it for $400 but there must be some cheaper software out there somewhere. I'll find some somewhere...

caetano62

projects, projects, projects...

#35 Post by caetano62 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Hey Kazz,

Well you've got me hooked on this project. I'm putting my 1986 TZR frame project on hold and I bought a 01, YZ426 frame just like yours on ebay this week. This is all your fault! hehehehe. It'll be a while before I get it to Brazil and figure out how to register it, It's got to be street legal. I like your idea of using the oil tank. What type of silencers are you using? It looks like it's going to have a pretty long tail pipe. I heard somewhere that'll make it a real pipy motor that rev's out. If you want perhaps we can work together on the costs for the exhaust pipe software. Perhaps I can just steal your design once it's finalized. You've got a nice winter project for yourself.

cheers,
Brian
Campinas, Brazil

JAYBUILT

#36 Post by JAYBUILT » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:45 pm

that is going to be fun as hell .

Kazz

#37 Post by Kazz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 pm

One thing I would do differently is cut the back of the cases shorter in overall length. Then weld a piece of machined aluminum to the cases that bolts in between the swingarm at the pivot point. I should have spent the time to do this to the motor. I think mine will handle well on the pavement with the extra weight at the front of the bike but I can't run a 21 inch dirt rim/tire because of clearance issues, I think... It will be close, the 17 inch front clears with no issues. You will also have more room for the radiators. BUT, with the motor back farther, the clutch cover will be farther back reducing the clearance for the rear brake, which I thought a handlebar mounted rear brake would solve that problem and be easier for backin' it in anyway. I have minimal rear brake clearance as it is now. I don't think it would be too hard to shorten the RZ motor, I see lots of them lately. Another thing is the RZ motor, you might want to consider the banshee motor, or cheetah, cheetah cub motors just for the sheer power. The Two Stroke Shop has a better powervalve actuator (electronic) for smoother operation. I am transfering the RZ wiring harness over and there seems to be alot of wires. By using the banshee setup you can cut down on the amount of wires, etc. I can't think of anything else that I would do differently at this moment, but if I do or run into a stumble I will let you know. I think the oil tank will have to be enlarged, the fourstrokers don't hold alot of oil. I've never owned one but a buddy has one and there isn't much over a liter of oil in there. Depends on how you do yours but likely you will have to cut the oil tank at some point. I also thought about Honda's aluminum CR frame. Not sure about the width, if it would have fit. I should have bought one just to know. Mabye on the next one, aluminum frame and underslung pipes with 120hp cheetah. That would be a ride... My 70hp KX was a handfull.
I'm not sure if I posted this picture before but this is the bike that inspired me, its a hillclimber and its cool.

Kazz

#38 Post by Kazz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Oh ya, the silencers are FMF shortys for a CR 250. I cut off the mounting tabs that are part of the silencers outer shell and welded on some other mounts. The small stinger section of the pipe will be fairly long, I guess it'll be a comprimise, but I am sure it will work fine, no worse than a regular dirtbike. The pipe design is going to be the hardest to pick. With the new dyno in town I might have to do some testing, hopefully I have the time. It's one thing to build a pipe for a single cylinder bike, but a twin is twice the work, I can't imagine R&D on a four cylinder. I can always make them for the RZ chassis, there easier to do and take alot less time...

Kazz

#39 Post by Kazz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:26 pm

A little more progress on the YZ350R :smt017 The rads are mounted and the YPVS servo along with a nology coil. Just trying to figure out where everything is going to go, seems like there is always something in the way. The radiators are very tight to the frame and head but should be ok. I still have to mount an ignition somewhere and the fusebox along with hiding all the wiring... :smt013 I've been looking into the Zeeltronics 2in1 box and am going to buy one for the 350 and my 500, I think they are a great thing. I just wish there was a usb for them to build maps on a laptop. I have also decided to build a 4mm stroker motor for this bike. :smt006 Take a look at the air strikers and the vent tubes coming out of them, I counted ten hoses, what kinda catch can will support 10 vents... I have a trail tech vapor on order to take care of the tach/speedo/temp. Who sells the battery eliminator these days???

caetano62

more questions.

#40 Post by caetano62 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi Kazz,

That things is moving right along. Looks great. Must be cold outside :) Can't wait to see it done and hear the riding impression. A couple of questions.

What type of radiators are you using? Any thoughts on sizing compared to the original?

Do you have a bushing in the place where the old motor mounted on the swingarm? It seems that should be needed to get a proper torque on the arm.

Are you planning making it street legal? I've seen battery eliminators on ebay. I'm thinking it may be better to use a small nicad battery like that comes in the dualsport conversion kits so you can power the YPVS on startup. I'm sure there are discussions elsewhere on this site. It would be great to compare the wiring harnesses from the banshee and RZ. I agree with you on the banshee motor advantages. We don't have any banshees here in Brazil though.

cheers,
Brian

caetano62

motard

#41 Post by caetano62 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Found this on the internet one day. The only RZ I have every seen outside yours that was used for motard. Sure needs some custom pipes. Doesn't look like much room underneath. Are you going up or down? I forgot to ask.

http://www.bryo.net/images/motorcycles/7638_G.jpg

[/img]http://www.bryo.net/images/motorcycles/7638_G.jpg[img]

-brian

[/img]

ax-racing

#42 Post by ax-racing » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:47 pm

http://www.rd-club.it/vecchio_sito/Ital ... pecial.htm

scroll down, on bottom of the page you can find my motaRD

my problem too was to find space for upper pipes.......
.........nothing to do, and pipes must be build under engine

cornering room it's ok, but the bike isn't a really motard
i made a near-to-street chassis geometry and bike handling is
fantastic :smt001
Alex

caetano62

Viva Italia!

#43 Post by caetano62 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice!!! I'm inspired. There's a lot great projects on that site but your bike really stands out. What did the weight turn on to be on that thing. I think using all YZ suspension it might turn out a bit lighter I'm guessing an RD motor in a dirtbike chassis with motard wheels at around 275lbs.

I'm thinking I may have to cut up some factory pipes as I have no skill at building any. Does anyone have references to 2 stroke pipe design software? What were you thinking of using Kazz?

-brian

Kazz

#44 Post by Kazz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:04 am

I have the plate'n'sheet software for the layout of the cones, but I am likely going to copy a brandname pipe spec wise. I have some other ideas and specs that I came across but am unsure of the outcome powerwise. I plan to run the pipes up and just under the rad shrouds and out just like a modern dirbike. except two pipes instead of one. caetano62, I should have told you that I have a complete '01 WR250 rolling chassis, the rod let go and destroyed the motor. I bought it for parts but haven't used much off it. The radiator on the right is off a YZ125 and the left hand radiator is off the 01 wr250. The left hand radiator is a little shorter so it clears the powervalve cables better. I have a friend machining up the spacer for the swingarm, just waiting on it and some other things like exhaust flange slip joints with o-rings. I just bought new cranks for my 500 so cash is a little tight now, might have to wait a couple months for the Zeeltronics unit. I test fit the WR gas tank and it clears everything so I can use it also for longer trips, but I like the small YZ tank better, it will be better on the track too. Thinking about an oil tank under the seat and an airbox too. probably won't happen this year, I will run it on pre-mix. I am hoping it will be lighter than my RZ350 but that will be hard to beat, it only weighed in at 265lbs with some fuel in the tank, not full but had some in it. As far as cooling, I think it will be fine. The RZ rad isn't huge by any means...

caetano62

#45 Post by caetano62 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 am

This is great. I've been slowly accumulating the same parts as your project. I hope you don't mind. :) I'm expecting to start the basic motor work in the second half of the year. Can't wait to see the pipes....

Anyone else out there with an RD/RZ motard I would love to see the photos.