Project Incognito

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

Re: Project Incognito

Post by Smoker »

Up all night watching Forged in Fire marathon.

Need to get the handlebar in the best position. Will take the clamp bolts out tomorrow and see how much slack is in the cables/tubing.

Then, I can get a stem riser and maybe a clamp with less reach.

The rear shock makes me mad. It's supposed to have adjustable rebound, but doesn't. Also has a 1,000 lb spring, so it never moves. My spine and teeth will break way before the shock moves. Working on it. More on that, soon.
JonW

Post by JonW »

Smoker wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:41 am
JonW wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:50 pm Is the throttle a thumb press on these or a twist grip?

Is it weird to ride with so little (no tank) between the knees? I remember the odd rode of scooters over the years frightened me a bit with nothing to knee-grip to. :/

Oh and looks like the ferrari need a machine polish to get those micro scratches out lol
(and... pleased to see youve still got the S2k, for some reason I thought you were selling)
The throttle is crap. I'll get into it more, but it's a half-twist. Not sure what else to call it.

No tank is no problem. I actually have a factory storage bag that's shaped like a fuel tank and fits on the top rail. I haven't used it, but I've read that some don't like it because it can rub your knees when pedaling, or rub the upper triple when turning.

That Ferrari is one of the most beautiful and best functioning machines I've ever bought. Too bad they don't make them anymore. It's taken quite a beating.

Been hoping to get enough energy to get the S2000 back on the road. Need to re-install the OEM airbox and emissions parts, and replace the clutch slave cylinder. Lots of clean-up and maintenance, too. Has less than 35,000 miles. Hopefully, it will be one of the last things to go.
Ahh ok, weird throttle for sure. New bars and setup looks 100% better.

Interesting re the bag where the tank goes, not big enough for the groceries and beer? Centralise the mass etc?

Yep, always know you will keep the Honda for as long as possible, it would be hard to seperate you from one :) Sadly car jobs just stack up and are hassle to do in a normal garage, I need to swap the master, slave and rubber hoses on my Evo 5's clutch... Im putting it off for now lol
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com
MK

Post by MK »

If you can determine length and damper travel, you may replace it with an air spring like this
https://www.ebay.de/itm/304803840039

They're rather cheap and have the big advantage of being fully adjustable in "spring stiffness" just by adding or reducing pressure. (Note: special damper pump required as we're talking about some 200 PSI)
Bye
Martin
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Tank bag looks like this.

I haven't used mine. It has straps that hold it on the top tubes, but I've read that it's not real secure. When I get a chance, I want to make a fitted foam stabilizer to hold it more securely.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

MK wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:40 pm If you can determine length and damper travel, you may replace it with an air spring like this

They're rather cheap and have the big advantage of being fully adjustable in "spring stiffness" just by adding or reducing pressure. (Note: special damper pump required as we're talking about some 200 PSI)
I've been trying to figure it out, but it's not easy. One issue is that the top frame tubes run from the head tube to the tail light. The tubes are almost level, but are slightly higher in the rear. I'd like the top tubes to be level, or higher in the back with rider sag. So, I don't want to lower the frame much at all. Also, don't want to raise the frame much because I want to increase the distance between the seat and the pedals. (Seat height is not adjustable, by the way.)

I started designing a lift to hold up the frame while removing the rear shock. In the mean time, I'm using a folding welding table.

Shock out and measured 235mm eye-to-eye.

If you search 235mm rear shocks, it's all cheap shit Chinese shocks. No optional springs, and don't even say what the spring rate is. There are no quality shocks made in 235mm.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Here, I removed the OEM shock again to check the clearance between the swingarm and frame. Set the clearance at about 2.5mm.

Then measured eye-to-eye centers. Was 172mm. Shock length is 235mm, so maximum stroke is 63mm with this shock. Actual stroke is about 1 inch.

Measured the aluminum stack under the rear tire, which was 80.1mm to get the vertical wheel travel. Looks like the leverage ratio is approx. 1.271:1

For every 1mm of shock stroke, the wheel travel is 1.271mm.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

After a bunch of searching, it looks like a 250mm shock should work well. I've seen them with 67.5, 70, and 75mm of stroke.

Problem is finding one that will fit, without the cannister hitting the frame or seat. Trying to get measurements on the few options I'm looking at.

Drew up a quick comparison of the OEM shock vs. a 250/70 shock. If it's correct, it looks good. The shock is mounted at approx. 42.5 degrees. 25 and 30% are for sag. BS is bottom stroke, CS is clearance stroke.

Smoker

Post by Smoker »

MK wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:40 pm If you can determine length and damper travel, you may replace it with an air spring like this

I'm searching, but there aren't many choices. For example, Rockshox makes several different air shocks, but not one that's 250mm, no Fox or Ohlins, either.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

A couple more things off the top of my head.

Pretty sure Ohlins and Fox don't make any bike shocks in 250mm length. Rockshox does make a few coil shocks in 250mm length. I believe Rockshox has brand-specific coil springs, so I could only use theirs, which only go down to 300 or 350 lbs. If I need a lighter spring, I'd be S.O.L.

So far, I've only seen 2 bikes like mine with aftermarket shocks. Both were the previous version, using a 190mm shock. Both had to install the shock upside-down, because of clearance issues. I'm hoping to avoid that.

One shock I'm interested in is the DVO Jade, but looks like the canister is too long. Need to get dimensions.

The other shock is the Cane Creek Kitsuma. Available in coil or air. Very nice, but expensive. Looks like it may fit, but need to check dimensions.

Rockshox also makes a couple of coil shocks like the Super Deluxe. Not cheap, priced between the other 2.

I think the first 2 shocks can use Ohlins coil springs, which go down to 251lbs, and are available in 23lb increments.
JonW

Post by JonW »

Wow, thats some adjustment on the Cane Creek Kitsuma!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com
MK

Post by MK »

Didn't meant you should double the value of your ride by mounting one of those expensive high end coil dampers.
It always escalates quickly here :-)

If it wouldn't be a new vehicle with guarantee, I'd simply fabricate some new upper shock mounts to fit a common 205x65mm damper and weld them in place....
Bye
Martin
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

I agree, Martin.👍

I'm trying to make the best decision. I typically look at the best parts available, and then compare with other options- in terms of function, aesthetics, cost, and happiness.

For this bike, I definitely don't need a high-end competition shock. I'm just rolling down the street. But, there are some nasty potholes out there. One big jolt to my broken-down spine could be devastating.

So far, I don't see many good options to choose from- and I don't have much time to figure it out. Cost is becoming less important, happiness more important. :smt045
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Great. Found another mistake in my Stroke Worksheet. Probably shouldn't be calculating at 3 or 4 in the morning.

Another issue is what coil rate should I get. Every mistake will cost $100 - $150 for another coil spring.

Wheel travel of 80.1mm and estimated 63mm stroke = 1.271mm leverage ratio x 160lbs rider weight = 203.36lbs shock rate.

If I plug in the actual numbers from a 250/75 shock, the rate = 170.88lbs.

There's a lot of weight in the rear hub motor and gearing. I'm guessing more than half the bike weight is unsprung. Regardless, the bike sprung weight with rider weight is 200lbs., or less.

Thinking about starting low, at 250 lbs, however, I think Eibach makes a 225lbs spring.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Tried this spring calculator:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center ... lator.html

Riding Weight = 160 lbs (includes battery)
Rear Wheel Travel = 3.125 inch
Shock Stroke = 2.625 inch (or 2.75, or 3.00)
Shock Sag = 30%

Calculated Spring Rate = 145 lbs (or 132, or 111)

Also tried this one:

https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

Rider Weight = 160 lbs
Shock Stroke = 67.5 mm (or 70, or 75)
Wheel Travel = 80.1 mm
Sag = Plush 33%

Calculated Spring Rate = 146 lbs (or 136, or 118)

Hope I'm doing something wrong. Have never seen springs that soft.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Put on a stem riser, and I do believe it's looking less weird. I may end up with a taller one, but this one is fine for now. $8.99, delivered in 2 days.

When I popped the cap off the OEM stem, I found this.

The upper bolt on the stem clamp is half way off the stem, because they put a 1/4 inch spacer under the clamp. Took the spacer out, and took out a 1/4 inch spacer from the riser, so both clamps are fully seated. Unexpectedly, lost 1/2 inch.

The position of the headlight makes me crazy. So does the rear disc brake squeal. Hopefully, I can get to those soon.