Project Incognito

We love ALL motorcycles - post your non-2T custom build here!

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

Re: Project Incognito

Post by Smoker »

The shock bolts were $35usd, but got free shipping with $50usd, so picked up a few bolts for the new mirrors.

You probably know by now, there's no such thing as good luck in my life. The shock bolts aren't hollow, and the male bolts are only 12mm. I think I can figure out a good solution with thick washers/spacers.

When I measured the OEM shock eye hardware, the top measured 24.5mm but, I noticed it's slightly (too) loose. Got a feeling it should be 25mm. I guess we'll find out soon.

According to Ohlins USA, the SAE Formula spring they recommended may actually be too short (when I called them back with the specs)- but couldn't tell me for sure. They said I may be able to use a POM spacer, and where to get it. So, I ordered the spring (not the custom spring). Will probably order the Ohlins shock on Monday.
JonW

Post by JonW »

The ups n downs of the project rollercoaster!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Couldn't get anyone on the phone at Ohlins USA, so I sent an e-mail with my order to the motorcycle rep I've always used. Should hear back soon.

Very excited, and nervous about the whole shock issue. Can hardly wait to see if it's going to be great, or a great mistake. :smt003
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

All my calculations were right.

Ohlins totally fucked me with misinformation.

They told me they were sure that the Hyperco Spring would fit, and even if it doesn't, I can buy SAR POM Spacers to fit them.

The Hyperco spring is too short, and the POM Spacers don't fit with the Hyperco Springs. The spring ID is too small. It says on the SAR website that the POM Spacers only work with SAR springs, but I mistakenly thought the Ohlins tech knows what he's talking about. Even if the POM Spacers would have fit, they are also too short to work with the Hyperco Springs.

The Ohlins shock is a 250/75. The problem is the stroke isn't 75, it's 53.33. That fucks up all my calculations, and means I'll probably need a heavier spring.

I got super lucky, and am able to use the POM Spacers upside-down. Not a permanent solution, but will enable me to test the spring rate. Just got it installed and took a couple of rides to school. Haven't done any real testing yet, but it's definitely interesting.

JonW

Post by JonW »

Hmm... it does look sexy seeing the ohlins installed... Looks like a lot of body and not enough spring tho.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

JonW wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:21 am Hmm... it does look sexy seeing the ohlins installed... Looks like a lot of body and not enough spring tho.
Yeah, this is a full-out racing spring, on the longest eye-to-eye shock. There can't be a lighter 150lb spring. (I haven't found a 150lb titanium spring) It's tiny, but has 76mm of stroke. Same stroke as an Ohlins spring, which is considerably longer, and heavier.

Eventually, I'd like to get a one-off custom spring (hopefully titanium), in whatever length I want.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

The rear shock spring can move around because the spacers are upside-down. There's nothing holding it (the I.D.) in place. Can't fall out, so it's okay for now.

I tightened the preload adjuster just a bit, to help hold it in place. Found out how sensitive the preload adjuster is. 1 turn = 1mm of preload/sag. Backed it out 2 turns, and it's noticeably softer.

I think I'm only getting 4 clicks on the rebound adjuster. Should be 7 clicks. Need to check that out.

Ready to bump up, and drop off some curbs. Carefully. :smt003
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

I read that one way to measure the shock stroke is to measure eye-to-eye free length, then fully compress the shock and measure eye-to-eye.

Using this method, the Ohlins stroke measured about 53mm, maybe a couple more mm if I push really hard on compression.

Not many bikes use the 250mmx75mm size shock, but it's a standard size. So where's the 75mm of stroke?

Found this pic that shows the measurement. As if the bump stop isn't there. Doesn't make good sense to me, but I'm still learning. Also not sure if the rider sag should be 30% of the stroke, or 30% of the "usable stroke".

At this point, it doesn't matter much to me. I already have the shock, and the lightest spring I could get- so, I'll go from here.

Have some rider sag, now. Did a bunch of curb drop-offs. Compression feels very similar, front and rear. Unfortunately, I think both front and rear should be softer, if I'm going to get the magic carpet ride I'm looking for.

Haven't been riding too much, but when I do, I'm hitting all the gnarly asphalt I see. Like night and day, with the new shock. Will keep testing and adjusting.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

I already posted pics of the gold aluminum standoffs I may cut down to raise the seat. They're a bit narrow, so looking at another option.

Decided to try vibration isolators. 2 of the frame supports are 20mm wide, so I went with M6/6mm ID and 20mm OD. Got 10mm rubber spacers so I don't have to chop the OEM seat studs. Also some 1mm rubber washers. Going for a lift of approx. 30mm.

The parts I ordered for the center support have to come from China. Still waiting.

Smoker

Post by Smoker »

The reflectors on the wheels are huge, and look like crap.

Should have taken them off sooner.

I know. I'll be sorry if I get broadsided at night. [smilie=eek.gif]
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Would like to raise the handlebar more, to reduce the stress on my back.

So, I got a taller stem extension. The current one is 4.83in, the new one is 7.28in. If the seat goes up 30mm, the relative handlebar increase in height is 1.18in.

Not sure that I have enough cable and brake line to fit this new stem. Fingers crossed.

Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Today's problem.

Modified grip pulled off while I was riding aggressively.

I anticipated this with these grips, but I really like them. I'm going to apply some trickery, before giving up on them.

Yesterday's problem.

Almost ate shit. 3 times. One was bad. Launched off a steep driveway wing and almost went down. With the e-bike, I can approach at cruising speed and hit the throttle just before the jump. The electric torque kick is great.

I chilled out a bit after yesterday's ride. Just a bit. :smt003
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Got some parts from China for the center seat support.

Didn't like the look of studs and nuts, so got female threads on the vibration isolaters. Have some better hardware on order.

The center supports land on the cross of the center ribs.

30mm height increase is pretty good. I can stand flat-footed over the top tubes, but need to stand on the balls of my feet to get on the seat.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

A shot of the 30mm seat lift with the center supports. I came up 1 short on 20mm vibration isolaters and had to do some magic with the parts I have. All good until more parts come in. 25mm and 30mm isolaters are available, so I could go up another 5 or 10mm. Feels good, though.

Notice the handlebar stem height, and headlight location. Definitely need to be higher. The blue tape on the head tube marks the original stem center for reference.

Last edited by Smoker on Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smoker

Post by Smoker »

Newer handlebar stem is taller than the taller stem. :smt003

Headlight bracket was mounted on the lower triple. I flipped it upside-down and mounted it on the upper triple. Headlight is still right-side up. The new stem maxes out the cable/tubing slack at full lock. Bars can't go higher without more mods.