CDI testing

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

LC Cnd
-----
-----

CDI testing

#1 Post by LC Cnd » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:22 pm

After reading form comments on faulty cdi' problems, decided my Elise might be suffering the same issue possibly (power cutting in/out under load). Found this video on how to test the cdi (attached). Followed the test procedure and found one circuit that did buzz between the white and black connectors (solid blk to solid blk wire) showing a value of 00.7. Suspect both are grounds, due to colour, but are they sounding off because they are grounds or did the test find the fault? If the test is accurate, then I'll move on to fix the break which will be interesting.

https://youtu.be/0vUGYQdvKZE
Attachments
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG (39.58 KiB) Viewed 518 times

MK

Re: CDI testing

#2 Post by MK » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:08 am

The LC shouldn't have two black wires according to this wiring diagram
https://www.flickr.com/photos/159931772 ... 796986827/

One is black (ground) one is black/white (kill switch).
Red is what's referred to as "AC in", white/red is "pulse" and orange is "coil"

Zeeltronic used to have the CDI-RZ1 which is a cheap non-programmable replacement for the 350LC.
Maybe worth a try to ask, if you're looking for a half way cheap solution.

Other than that I always recommend using a programmable DC CDI which has the potential for around 3 kW additional performance.
Price-wise it's something like 300 Eur.
Bye
Martin

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: CDI testing

#3 Post by LC Cnd » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:10 am

Also tested the stator - all within spec so good. Found this CDI test to "cold test". So, if I do a continuity (buzz) test on the coil/ac in/pulse to ground, any sound would indicate a faulty CDI, or broken capacitor and/or diode - correct? Seems easy enough if I'm testing the right connections. Here's the article to search (link not provided):
How to Test CDI box With A Multimeter (3-Step Guide)
toolsgalorehq.com/measurement-tools/multimeter/how-to-test-cdi-box-with-a-multimeter/ 202