Matte black powder coating

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Yamavarna

Matte black powder coating

#1 Post by Yamavarna » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:32 pm

I’m in the process of a hybrid build and recently watched the r7 launch and loved the look of the bike, so... I would like to try and replicate the matte black finish on my Aprillia banana swinger but, I am worried about the durability of matte finishes and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them? I have looked into it before posting and it seems the newer ones are a polyester resin and come in a “sand texture” that the powder manufacturer claim are quite durable. My recollection of these finishes are that when they get scratched they produce a visible sheen so although I am willing to gamble on new technology I am a little skeptical of the manufacturers claims. Anyone have some insider information?

kobra

Re: Matte black powder coating

#2 Post by kobra » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:15 am

Matte colors are not good durability wise because if you get a scuff you can't polish it or repair it easily. The best is a clear coated surface. Sometimes satin black can be pretty good.

This was a huge controversy when BMW started releasing matte paint jobs and warned owners not to wax the paint or else it would look blotchy.

RuZty
-----
-----

#3 Post by RuZty » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:54 pm

I have had good luck with satin black on wheels, on bikes and cars. I'm looking at Cerakote for another project, apparently it's extremely durable, the gun crowd love it. Comes in oven and room temp cure versions, all kinds of colours too.

Yamavarna

#4 Post by Yamavarna » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:06 pm

I’m actually getting setup right now for doing Cerakote in my garage, just running the last of the wiring. You can adjust the amount of catalyst for a gloss or matte finish. There is a nice black but it is a heat dissipating coating that I intended to use on the motor, I guess I could experiment on some motor mounts or something small; I just wanted to get the chassis done quick so I can move on to my custom wiring project, hmmmm... my oven is only 24x24 so that may be the deciding factor