RZ/RD 350 & Misc. 2-Stroke Tech BBS

Technical Forums for Two-Stroke Nuts
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

JJH? N68X? NAPE? or what? (plz list mods per format in thread)
JJH 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
N68X 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NAPE 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (specify in thread) 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 pm 

I went back a year in the engines forum and found nothing up to date on the PWK 28s.
Read many old threads... Info scattered over many many pages.. nothing really definitive...
(I realize jetting varies)
Maybe we can organize it in a more useful way, and bring the info up to date?

My hope is that since many have been running around with these for several years now, and
have settled in on jetting (and/or a range), that they feel more comfortable to state for certain
what has worked for them..
Also bring up to date what is available jet/needle wise, and update to a greater level of certainly what/which worked.

Lets put it in a standardized format.
IE: Displacement, stock vs. mods, and which, intake setup (airbox/pods/Yboot/etc) altitude/climate, jets: pilot/needle/cutaway/mains,
and so forth. Just so long as it's the same and same order for all posts.

Hopefully this will become a "sticky-worthy" thread!

I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone posted about other than 28mm PWK, BUT I think it would be best to start a similar thread about those, as well as the various Mikunis..
(a pair of SpecII VM30s in my case)

TIA!

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 pm 

As for myself:
I'm tackling this now finally, for various reasons..
(partly because I hate like poison to $ rebuild the stockers)
Just assembling the relevant items for now..
Would be helpful to know which jets/needles to order... since these things are getting pricey now..

Bike = 84, Stock bore/stroke, no porting, SCR-cut/squished head, Old toomeys, No airbox but have both Y-Boots and Pods, Sea level and Florida HUMID!

From what I've read, probably should start with 45/145/3.5 and either JJH or N68X (though I haven't been able to determine which of those is richer/leaner and where.. IE: taper)

I can't make heads nor tails of Kehin's needle charts.... though I had Mikuni's practically memorized years ago..

Also, wondering if CPW has a "rebuild kit" and if jet substitutes are OK with them..
(haven't been able to reach them via phone so far)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:00 pm 
-----
-----

I remember people jumping around from JJJ and JJH needles and maybe? trying to make a stock KX80? carb internals work. Been awhile.

This scooter chart should help explain the needle profile and general jetting. If you can't find a needle to work (28's have a limited selection of needles compared to larger PWK carbs), you might consider a larger PWK or (what i would do) switch to the mikuni that you are familiar w/, either stock or something like a TM...I think Dave Freist (R.I.P.) did one of his mods to the TM as well as the world famous stock mods he did (in conjunction w/ Dale Alexander) w/ OEM A/C RD350/400 carbs.

http://scootrs.com/tech.cfm?tip=tunecarb

1984 RZ350L (U.S.) Old Toomeys, oil injected!, Y-boot K&N. loctite throttle cable holder on left carb!! , 410 mains, Dynojet needles 2.0 clip, #20 pilot @ 1.5 turn a.s., 240/512 p.v.