84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

CanadianRZ350

Re: 1990 RZ350 Project

#47 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:39 am

Hey, I have a little bit of good news and a little bit of bad news.

Let's start with the bad news;

Hooked up my test tank to the bike and i got an immediate fuel leak from the overflows. gave the carb a little tap and it went away.
Then I kicked the engine over a hundred times, not a burp , fart or anything! Dumped a little bit of gas in the intake then it fired and stopped.
So then i took the carbs back off :smt022 checked them out, and I realized the float bowl with the choke circuit was on the wrong carb! DOH!
and I also forgot the choke crossover hose too. Silly mistake. I guess it happens if everything has been apart for 5 months lol.

Also pressure tested the needle and seats, they failed, of course. One was worse than the other though.
I ordered new oem needles from partzilla and also the o-rings for the petcock, which is another part of the bad news.

I installed the gas tank and everything , put some gas in there, everything seemed OK, but i noticed that the fuel tap knob was wobbly inside the petcock body.
and it would leak a couple drops of gas. So now I litterally just ordered a new OEM petcock from Yambits :smt013
The light is at the end of the tunnel though, the bike is nearing completion . I gave it a little test run, all seems ok. That's a bit of a relief there.

The GOOD news is that I got my new brake caliper seal and it works perfect now!

To be continued...

CanadianRZ350

#48 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:57 am

Had an awesome day today

I was looking at the previous owner history on the bike last night and I decided to try to find the original owner.
After a quick search on facebook i message the guy, who I think is the right person, asking if he had a new Rz350 in 1991. He said "YES i did"
So I sent him a picture and the link to this forum.
He was absolutely shocked to see his old bike again, could not believe it. Told me he bought the bike brand new from a dealer in Waterloo, had it for a couple years then had to sell it due to a change of circumstances in 1994.
He has some pictures somewhere of it just after he got it, He said he will look for them.
We have a ride planned sometime in june so he can see his bike again after 22 years :smt023

And funnily enough I also found the original owner to my 77 Rd400 today too.
He told me an interesting story of its first few years and sent a picture of him with my bike as it was new in the summer of 1977. Way cool!
He messaged me back a couple hours later to tell me that he had found the original sales brochure , the OEM dial indicator gauge that came with the bike, and says he knows he has the original receipt from the dealership, but can't find it, but thinks it's in his safety deposit box at the bank.
He said once he finds it he'll send everything to me.

That was awesome. Got to learn a little about the history on the bikes, and sent those two guys on a big nostalgia trip.

Apart from that, more progress to the bike

I got the new petcock in, Installed it no problem, works ok no leaks of course.
Put the new chain on , bled the front brakes, made a few minor adjustments.
I ran it up to temp in the garage twice, rechecked head torque, didn't require any further tightening.

Phoned the insurance lady a couple days ago to setup my new policy, that will be effective for march 14.
My boss from work will come over next week and write a safety for me.

The bike will be plated and on the road in under 2 weeks! :smt026

Here are a couple pics of the bike completed. I will take more pictures in a few weeks once its out on the road

And a quick flash back to the beginning .

This certainly was an awesome experience restoring this bike, learned a few new things along the way which is always good.
More pictures to follow soon

:smt006

nokturnal
-----
-----

#49 Post by nokturnal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 am

curious to know why you decided to stay with the old rubber lines.

?
:smt017

CanadianRZ350

#50 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 am

nokturnal wrote:curious to know why you decided to stay with the old rubber lines.

?
Didn't want to spend anymore money :smt005

If the bike treats me well this season I might put on braided lines in the winter.

dinamos

#51 Post by dinamos » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:05 am

[quote/]

If the bike treats me well this season I might put on braided lines in the winter.[/quote]

You've done a great job on a rehab and you're putting it on the road with rubber brake lines that are as old as the engine seals you replaced. I think the service limit on the original brake lines is five years.

Bad idea.

roger

L.B

#52 Post by L.B » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:46 am

Very nice work,sweet looking bike you've brought back & the nostalgia trips would be priceless....
Btw id kill for a set of end cans in that condition.

CanadianRZ350

#53 Post by CanadianRZ350 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 pm

dinamos wrote:
[quote/]
You've done a great job on a rehab and you're putting it on the road with rubber brake lines that are as old as the engine seals you replaced. I think the service limit on the original brake lines is five years.

Bad idea.

roger
Roger, Thank you

Yes I know it sounds silly to do that, but I still have the original lines on my 77 Rd400 and that works great. I will eventually upgrade them. It's just not in my budget right now.

L.B wrote:Very nice work,sweet looking bike you've brought back & the nostalgia trips would be priceless....
Btw id kill for a set of end cans in that condition.
Thank you thank you :smt002