Mikes XS emulators in stock RZ forks- who has done this?

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Evans Ward
-----
-----

Mikes XS emulators in stock RZ forks- who has done this?

#1 Post by Evans Ward » Sun May 20, 2012 11:22 am

Saw some info in the archives on using the Mike's XS emulators (fork valve dampers) in the front stock RZ forks:

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-19.html#products

Who has done this and what did it entail? Is there anyone who would provide this labor/ job at a cost if I provided the emulators? Looking for feedback to make the stock forks handle even better. I don't want to change forks at this time as I want a stock OEM look. TIA!
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

vmxwinn

#2 Post by vmxwinn » Tue May 22, 2012 2:08 am

I have been interested in doing this as well. Also would love to hear what the improvement is.
85 Y/B, Toomey pipes, PWK 28's, JJH Needle #2, 45 pilot jet, 145 main, Pods, VForce 4 reed blocks, +3 ignition, Milled head 1.1mm squish, R6 Shock, Progressive

Many Vintage MX Bikes, 03 ZRX1200R, 86 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans MK IV, 86 VFR 750, 74 GT 550

RuZty
-----
-----

#3 Post by RuZty » Tue May 22, 2012 6:18 am

The RaceTech ones are a big improvement and also about 4 times the price. If they are comparable then they are a bargain and well worth doing. The damping rod modifications are a must if you expect them to work properly, but not a big deal if you can rebuild forks and braze. Replace all your seals and bushings at the same time.

slow86gn
-----
-----

#4 Post by slow86gn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 am

Well i did not try Mikes, but i let you no how the Racetech parts work. Starting to come together. Image Image Image Image
1985 RZ350NC. 1979 RD 400 Dayton Special 2015 KTM 690 DUKE

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#5 Post by aaronmvrider » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 am

what springs you running....
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

slow86gn
-----
-----

#6 Post by slow86gn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:11 am

.85 kg/mm cause I'm a Fat Bastard.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#7 Post by aaronmvrider » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:22 am

cheers.... i have heard the standard ones are .4 or something silly...

i have an old set and they are really saggy and short.... compared to the set i am using now which are 25mm longer also and much stiffer...

any idea on the length of the spring to compare with the original set i have....

i need a set for this bike soon.... thanks for advise....

how did you go with attatching the fuel pump to the frame...

Aaron
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

Bare

Re: Mikes XS emulators in stock RZ forks- who has done this?

#8 Post by Bare » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Evans Ward wrote:
Who has done this and what did it entail? . TIA!
Welll... A while back Wasn't rokit science.. took an afternoon IIRC
Hardest part is to Drill the correct Holes in the damper rods. Taking note that the wee cone shaped tube thing at the bottom of the damper rods covers ineptly(wrong place) drilled holes. So drill them so they are not covered up / useless.
Other bit was altering the top of the damper rods so the Valves seat correctly and effectively in them . Frankly don't see the need for the additional tubes in that Photo.
It's a few mins work with a reamer or even a countersink tool bit.
I also cut :-) a few coils from My springs to up their too soft rate and cut some PVC pipe tubing to take up the slack. Refilled with 20w Fork oil.
A good time to replace Slider bushes and seals too.. But those sliders are a few more $ than expected. More than the Em valves actually.
G luck.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#9 Post by Evans Ward » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:23 am

I'm still gathering parts for this mod at present. I have the Mike's Emulators in hand and they look like good pieces. I hear they are knock offs of the RT ones made in China after the RT patent expired. I will be buying new single rate springs (weight matched) from either Race Tech or Traxxion Dynamics in the coming days. I'm leaning towards Race Tech right now as it appears I can get the new fork bushings from them too. Seals I have secured from another source. A semi-local to me RZ forum member that I met and rode with at the Gap has graciously offered up his assistance (in an afternoon) when I get ready to mod the damper tubes and reassemble! What a kind gesture that will be very much appreciated! (thanks Chris/ NCRiding! :smt006 :smt001 ) ETA on all of this is around late August but can and will be adjusted to fit Chris' scheduling needs. North GA weekend mountain ride for testing/ evaluation w/Chris to follow in early Fall! :smt004 :smt002 Thanks for all the input on this thread and keep it coming.

slo86gn- how's your fork rebuild coming? Any updates you can share? TIA. :smt023
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

slow86gn
-----
-----

#10 Post by slow86gn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 am

I have about two more weeks of riding the RZ, then I start breaking down for weld and grinding of frame. Welding for Scott's dampener and grinding for R6 shock. Then off to powder coat. As I told Roger (Wicked) having to much fun ride with new motor, don't want to break it down. The forks were reassembled, just waiting to finish the rest before they go on. Later John

Cheech

Re: Mikes XS emulators in stock RZ forks- who has done this?

#11 Post by Cheech » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Bare wrote:
Evans Ward wrote:
Who has done this and what did it entail? . TIA!
Welll... A while back Wasn't rokit science.. took an afternoon IIRC
Hardest part is to Drill the correct Holes in the damper rods. Taking note that the wee cone shaped tube thing at the bottom of the damper rods covers ineptly(wrong place) drilled holes. So drill them so they are not covered up / useless.
Other bit was altering the top of the damper rods so the Valves seat correctly and effectively in them . Frankly don't see the need for the additional tubes in that Photo.
It's a few mins work with a reamer or even a countersink tool bit.
I also cut :-) a few coils from My springs to up their too soft rate and cut some PVC pipe tubing to take up the slack. Refilled with 20w Fork oil.
A good time to replace Slider bushes and seals too.. But those sliders are a few more $ than expected. More than the Em valves actually.
G luck.
I agree, I don't understand why the "tubes" on the emulators. After you take a few mm off the top of the inner tube you just need to remove a bit off the inside of the outer tube and the emulator sits in very nicely. I used a lathe for both cutting down the inner and opening up the outer and it was a 5 minute process a side.

slow86gn
-----
-----

#12 Post by slow86gn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:12 am

Well a nickel's worth of aluminum is cheaper than $300.00 worth of stanchion tubes. Then again my little lathe only has a 7/8 thru hole. So if I had a bigger lathe, I would have done it your way. Race tech also talks about how to make adapters, but also sell there own.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#13 Post by Evans Ward » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am

I placed an order with Race Tech yesterday and have new single coil (weight rated to me and bike) springs enroute as well as new inner fork bushings for my project. They did not have the outer fork bushings listed so can anyone supply the Yamaha part number for those pieces so I can order them? I've viewed and studied the factory fische but they don't refer to any of the fork internals as bushings. :smt017 Need some help here guys. I also did not see or order the emulator spacer adaptors- will I need them or will the spring ends seat on the ends of the emulators?

jord-rz

#14 Post by jord-rz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 am

I have a set of race tech emulators on my race bike, except it has been installed a bit differently. The inner tube of the damper rod has been removed and the 2 smaller holes have been braised. Also as usual there is another compression hole drilled. I read last night that yours supposed to braise all the holes and drill a new rebound hole 2mm wide. this has not been done on my forks. Ive been having some issues with it, I have virtually no rebound damping. I went from a 10 wt to a 15 wt and pretty much no difference. So tonight Im gonna use another set of damper rods that havent been touched, Ill leave the rebound how it is, but as for drilling the other compression hole im not sure where to do it. If I drill it in the same spot as its drilled on the modified damper rod then I will be drilling into the inner rod (its about 90* around the rod and up about 25mm up from the original comp hole). Where did any of you drill the hole? is it just inline with the original compression hole on the other side of the rod? Maybe someone could post a pic of the location
85' rz350 - R6 rear shock, progessive springs & race tech emulator, Fork brace, steering damper, 01' r1 front brakes, GPL Racing ported cylinders & milled head, GPL Racing gp exhaust, V-force reeds, reed spacers, 28mm PWK'S, Zeeltronic pcdi -10v

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#15 Post by Evans Ward » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

jord-rz wrote:I have a set of race tech emulators on my race bike, except it has been installed a bit differently. The inner tube of the damper rod has been removed and the 2 smaller holes have been braised. Also as usual there is another compression hole drilled. I read last night that yours supposed to braise all the holes and drill a new rebound hole 2mm wide. this has not been done on my forks. Ive been having some issues with it, I have virtually no rebound damping. I went from a 10 wt to a 15 wt and pretty much no difference. So tonight Im gonna use another set of damper rods that havent been touched, Ill leave the rebound how it is, but as for drilling the other compression hole im not sure where to do it. If I drill it in the same spot as its drilled on the modified damper rod then I will be drilling into the inner rod (its about 90* around the rod and up about 25mm up from the original comp hole). Where did any of you drill the hole? is it just inline with the original compression hole on the other side of the rod? Maybe someone could post a pic of the location
From the instructions, you have to punch out the inner piece from the damper rod before drilling them. Look at this thread and tobster's post for the Race Tech instructions:

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... highlight=