85 USA RZ Engine Rebuild

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

OldGuy

Re: 85 USA RZ Engine Rebuild

#61 Post by OldGuy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:54 pm

Evans is correct, The Conti Classic Attacks are radial tires.
Just debating the cost/benefit ratio, versus the level of riding I do.
I am glad we have such good choices to make on our 40 year old vintage RZ's.
Scott
Western CT
85 RWB USA, Bought New in 1986
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II
Stock carbs w/2in1 intake and Uni pod
380 Mains, 25 pilots, Dyna-jet kit Needles in 3rd slot, air screws 1.5 turns out

silverstrom

#62 Post by silverstrom » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:44 pm

Avon AM26 are also a good option. I have them on a few bikes here, including an RZ350 and RZ500.

I buy from Petessuperbike.com They have a great selection available and great pricing. I've never found a better price for tires. They're in Canada and offer free shipping here. Usually 2 days to my door.

They do ship to the US and with the strong US $$$ the price would be significantly lower for guys south of the border.

It's worth checking out Petes Superbike just for comparison.

www.petes-superbike.com/bridgestone-bt4 ... -rear.html front at $145.95 Cdn ($107 US)

https://www.petes-superbike.com/bridges ... front.html rear at $140.95 Cdn (S104 US)

OldGuy

#63 Post by OldGuy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:42 pm

Silverstrom,

Thanks for the tip on Pete's Superbike. Their prices are very aggressive and the exchange rate on the USD is very favorable coming to the US.
I contacted Pete's, and confirmed they do ship UPS to the US with minimal cross border issues, thanks to NAFTA.
Thanks again for the tip.
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II
380 Mains, 25 pilots, Dyna-jet kit Needles in 3rd slot, air screws 1.5 turns out

silverstrom

#64 Post by silverstrom » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:10 am

OldGuy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:42 pm Silverstrom,

Thanks for the tip on Pete's Superbike. Their prices are very aggressive and the exchange rate on the USD is very favorable coming to the US.
I contacted Pete's, and confirmed they do ship UPS to the US with minimal cross border issues, thanks to NAFTA.
Thanks again for the tip.

:smt023 You're welcome sir.

RxRZ

#65 Post by RxRZ » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:06 am

I didn't know anyone would run radials on these old bikes with their skinny rims. I guess if you can get them narrow enough so the sidewall angle doesn't get funky the radials could be a big improvement.

Still $400 for just the tires is pretty unbelievable. Unless you mean tires, drive in drive out mounting and balancing? I've never spent over $300 for the newest radials on my GSXR750, RC51, or FZR1000. And the former two I would run the more expensive 190/55.

edit, I haven't bought tires in a few years and just checked a few of my old haunts. Prices are up almost fifty percent. Wow. Almost glad (not really) that I can't ride anymore.

OldGuy

#66 Post by OldGuy » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:51 pm

Prices are up on everything...
Beer...
Pizza....
Butter....
Meat...
and tires!
Suppliers are dealing with higher shipping costs, higher labor expenses, higher raw material costs. They also tried to hold the line on prices during the pandemic by shrinking their profit margins.
Add in some reckless government spending and pressing for higher minimum wage rates....and we are all paying more for everything.

Getting back to tires...
I ended up ordering Bridgestone BT-46's after considering how I ride a 40 year old, somewhat collectible bike, the life span of tires, the miles i ride, and the cost of the tires.
I ended up getting tires from a US supplier for $235, plus tax. Pete's in Quebec was priced very aggressively, augmented by the favorable exchange rate between the US and Canadian Dollar. The shipping cost for UPS from Canada, however, was a deal breaker. I could do better with the US suppliers due to lower shipping costs.

Size wise, I ended up going this way:

Front - 90/90-18 BT-46 from a Metzler 100/90-18. (Stock size is a 90/90-18.) The 100/90-18 slowed the steering, so I went back to the stock size.
Rear - 120/80-18 BT-46 from a Metzler 120/90-18. (Stock size is a 110/80-18.) The lower aspect ratio of the rear tire is closer to the stock geometry, while still giving me the wider 120. More swingarm clearance too.

Next up, tire mounting... stay tuned!
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

OldGuy

#67 Post by OldGuy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:47 pm

Tire time!
I gathered my tools and got ready to get the old tires off and mount the new Bridgestone BT-46 tires.
[/img]Image

I am going to use relatively simple tools and techniques to get the job done.
Motion Pro bead breaker tool
tire irons
Windex
Dawn dish soap
plastic rim protectors
Gorilla tape
Muscles!

A friend of mine has a YouTube channel with some great tire changing videos. Here is a link to one of his tire changing videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nZuUjrEQxM&t=371s

I followed the techniques he uses in the video.
Removing the old tire with the MP bead breaker , Windex, and tire irons. The tires came off in just a few minutes with a minimum of swearing.

Pushing the bead off by hand after using the bead breaker once and applying Windex. very quick and easy.

[/img]Image
Checking the balance of the bare wheel, and finding the heavy spot, before mounting the tire.
I placed the dot on the tire at the heavy spot on the wheel. This makes it easier to balance the wheel and tire.

The tire is mounted and on the balancing stand.
I used the Gorilla tape mounting method shown in the video. Quick and easy. Who needs a tire machine?

Balancing was easy with weights obtained from my local tire shop.

Time to finish my reassembly!
Put the wheels back on the bike
Align the rear wheel
Hang the expansion chambers
Reinstall the body work.
Clean and polish the bike.
Lube cables and chain.
Gas her up.

Let her rip........
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

OldGuy

#68 Post by OldGuy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm

Cutting to the chase.......

Here she is, almost ready to go. Still cleaning the side panels.

Almost ready for a test ride.
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

OldGuy

#69 Post by OldGuy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:29 pm

It's gone. Out of the workshop, back in the garage.

[/img]Image

Here is a before and after on the bike so you can see the difference.

Before

After

Pretty happy with the results from the body and paint repairs. The learning curve is steep, but very do-able.

I am fine tuning the bike mixed with some short test rides. it is nice to be getting reacquainted with the RZ after a year of project work. Some of the thing I am working on now:

1. The dreaded speedometer squeal. I have applied a little bit of lube to the speedo gears. The squeal is better, but not quite gone. A work in progress.
2. Cable lubrication. I lubed the throttle and clutch cables and adjusted the free play. Working great.
3. My gas cap is dribbling a little bit of fuel. Not unexpected from a nearly 40 year old gasket. Since I cut out the restrictor plate in the filler neck, the need for a new ring gasket on the gas cap is more of an issue. I have ordered a new Yamaha gas cap from Partzilla. Going to swap out the key lock from the old to the new.
4. Following the instructions from the fine folks at Ken's Garage, I converted my petcock to a gravity feed, and did away with the vacuum valve. It works great, but I have managed to flood the carbs once. Easy to fix by draining the float bowls of excess gas, then she starts right up. Modifying my starting technique, and refreshing my dirt bike type skills for managing a manual petcock. I may need to replace the o rings on the float valves and the viton tips if the flooding persists.
5. Rear suspension. Testing the new YSS rear shock. My initial impression of the YSS shock is that it is a big improvement over the tired, old Yamaha stock shock. Planning to get in some break in miles, then I will be setting up the YSS in earnest, dialing in the SAG and tweaking the dampening.
6. New tires. The Bridgestone BT-46's are a big improvement over the Metzeler's. Going back to the stock size 90/90-18 in the front from a 100/90-18 improves the handling via quicker steering.

The weather is warming up and starting to get nice. I am looking forward to getting out for some longer rides, and going to the local bike nights.

More pictures to follow...
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

kpke
-----
-----

#70 Post by kpke » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:39 am

That is a beautiful machine. Congrats on getting it going again!!!

Your petcock should 100% shut off fuel with the no vacuum mod. I still have not had problems with the mod after several years now. Is it over flowing while running or did you forget to turn it off?

Good to hear you like the YSS rear shock. I am ordering one for the current project RZ350/TZR hybrid.

Thanks for the YT channel shout out (again). I may start to minimize posts there due to lack of interest vs. time and effort on my end. We'll see.

OldGuy

#71 Post by OldGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:14 pm

The petcock is working fine. I made the mistake of over priming the carbs before the first start up. I quickly figured out what I had done, and I drained the float bowls into a catch pan. Then she started right up.
No problems since. I just have to revert to my dirt bike youth mode. Re-train the brain.
1. Shut off the bike.
2. Shut the petcock.
For starting, I have been starting the bike with the petcock off, then opening it once the engine is running. That seems to work fine. So far, farfagnugen. (VW humor)

Ordered a new gas cap last night from Partzilla. $90, delivered, for a gas cap. Ugh, but I am glad Yamaha still sells the parts, and they are in stock. Gotta protect that new paint.

The YSS, right out of the box is pretty good. The ride is smoother and the rear wheel maintains steady contact with the road. The dampening is close on the middle setting, soaking up the expansion joints. The cornering is more confident. With a little bit of fine tuning for SAG, it should be close to ideal. Considering the price point of the YSS, it works very well for street riding. Sure, the Wilber or the Nitron UK shocks are better, but the YSS is good enough. Now onto the front brakes for my next project.

1. Adapter plates from TDR or NK Racing.
2. R6 calipers.
3. FZ-8 MC.
4. Shiny bolts.

Sounds like you have a lot going on with the hybrid project, the pool renovation, work and family. Nobody is going to fault you for taking a break from filming, editing, and posting to YT.
So, take a break, enjoy the Spring and Summer with the family and ride your posse of two wheeled machines. Film your adventures and save them for Fall and Winter YT posts. Your channel makes the off season go easier.

I plan to post less and ride more for the Summer too.
Ride Safe out there on the Mines Rd and up to the Observatory.
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

Whymee

#72 Post by Whymee » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 pm

Nice machine. It is very satisfying taking something apart, using various methods, throwing a pile of cash at it and after reassembly, setting back and enjoying your efforts? It is to me, even if it never gets ridden (other machines, not my RZ's).

Be wary of ordering online. Just because the site says it is in stock, does not mean it is. Websites will lie, heavily, where parts for the RZ is concerned. Always call and confirm. I have had my hopes up too many times...
2.5 RZ350's
2018 Grom
2017 KTM 390
2017 FZ-10
1973 RT3
1974 TY250
plus many others

OldGuy

#73 Post by OldGuy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 pm

Thank you. Your garage fleet is pretty nice too.
Yes, there is a certain catharsis to doing the work yourself. Learning new skills, or accomplishing your goals while silencing your doubters. Priceless.
I agree with you about being careful when buying on line. E-bay parts from Venezuela come to mind.
I have had pretty good luck with Partzilla. As a matter of fact, I received my gas cap today, ahead of the promised Monday delivery.

Good advice to follow.

Ride safe.
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

OldGuy

#74 Post by OldGuy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 pm

Took advantage of the good weather today to work on my punch list of things to rectify.

Fixing the squealy speedometer. I carefully took the "kidney bean" cluster apart and sparingly applied some spray lube to the gears, being careful to avoid getting any on the instrument faces. Lubed the cables too, speedo and the tach.

Don't forget that the trip rest button is threaded. Don't try to yank it off with pliers!!!
Use a parts tray or a screw bucket to keep your small parts organized.
I always have to remind myself to take pictures of things as I take them apart, so I can refer to the pictures if I forget how things go back together.
Gotta be gentle with the gauges. Delicate, unprotected when open, and NLA.

My new gas cap arrived today from Partzilla. I just needed to replace the main ring gasket. The old one was stating to dry out, allowing fuel to dribble just a little. In order to avoid having to carry two keys (ignition and gas cap), I disassembled the new gas cap, thinking I could swap out the lock cylinder between the caps, putting my old cylinder into the new cap. I know others have done it, but I could not figure it out, so I just swapped the new ring gasket onto the old gas cap. Works like a champ. No more dribbles. Put the old gasket into the new cap, and added the new cap to my spare parts stash.
That old gasket looks tired after 40 years of being splashed by gas.
Old gas cap, new gasket, ready to go.

My engine idle was set too low, resulting in stalling way too much. A 750 rpm idle is too low. Tweaking the idle adjuster screw, a little at a time, got me to 1100 rpm. The RZ now idles happily. A little thing, but it sure beats re-starts at traffic lights.

Time for a test ride. Everything is running well. Picture time.

It was a good day in the garage today.
Scott
Western CT
Spec II pipes
Milled Head by Spec II

kpke
-----
-----

#75 Post by kpke » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:14 am

Once again, that is a beautiful RZ. Nice work Scott. Glad to see it back on the road.