Give Me Your Opinion of this Custom Two-Stroke

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

tomo91

#121 Post by tomo91 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:12 am

SH%T YES!!! I have to say i cranked that volume closed my eyes and....
jizzed a little hahahaha :smt020

just beautiful i think its getting to me not having a road going rz :smt012
some guys ride 4's, some guys ride 2's
BUT SOME HOW THE 4'S ALWAYS LOSE!

JonW

#122 Post by JonW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 am

eeek! I had the speakers on the laptop up load from watching a movie.... fek! what a great noise tho... no wonder he lives down a lane, expect the Mrs had gone out too... LOL!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Smoker

Re: Give Me Your Opinion of this Custom Two-Stroke

#123 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:59 pm

Okay guys, I'm hungover this morning and not prepared to say what needs to be said. I'll keep working on posting more info as I can.

My dear friend Jay, and brother from another mother, is gone. We lost him on December 22, 2023. I don't have details to share at the moment. I'm gutted. We had a very special connection born out of our love of all things custom, especially bikes.

One important issue that needs to be delt with is the Outlaw XJ500T. It was never finished. Jay and I are very alike, when it comes to completely finishing a project. There are just too many cool projects and distractions happening all the time. I know that Jay would want me to be the one to finish the bike, which is weighing heavily on me.

I don't think money is the problem atm. I've mentioned several times, I have absolutely no room for another bike. My garage has 6 bikes, and there's 2 in the house. I could sell some stuff and get it figured out, but it will take some time. It might happen, though. I do know how he wanted to finish the bike, with stainless pipes and Smoker-style bling.

Jay wasn't able to leave much to his daughter, who is 29 years old. Any money from the XJ500T will go to her. It would be great to find someone with deep pockets to buy this bike. I know Jay Leno always shows up at the 2-stroke shows, so I'll try hit him up. He could also finish the bike, no problem.

Or, maybe a museum of some type. I would hate for this bike to be locked away in someone's garage and never seen again.

Contact me or post up any ideas that you guys have. No money grab, here. Let's try to help out Jay's daughter and pay tribute to one of our great 2-stroke brothers.

Smoker

#124 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:03 pm

One of mamy, many Jay stories I have. He writes with his own loveable style of grammer and punctuation.

At the age of 10 or 11 I was making the big move from the mini bikes to a bike with gears
how cool was that summer going to be .step dad bless his intentions and help got a deal from a friend on a kawi 100 with no engine and another deal on an engine what are odds of that . so the summer went by without me cause I was building me a bike .
I cleaned out an old pump house out back for a shop striped it painted the frame and started to get the engine together. Found out I was missing the exhaust, piston and cyl .so I was stuck . but along came my real dad to my aid .dad was working for the city of san Jose as a relocation agent. that meant that If the city wanted to build a freeway or something and your house was in the way my dad was the one to find them a new one.

My dad gets the kanamoto farm assigned him. during dinner one night he tells me he has something to show me and he lay’s out some pictures on the table of Gary Nixon on a flat track bike at the San Jose mile and explains .Over the next couple weeks dad stops by with news paper articles about Erv Kenemoto and Gary Nixon that Erv’s dad had given to him. I was beside my self to say the least.

The next weekend was the San Jose mile race and my dad came home with 4 tickets that Erv gave him along with pit passes. my childhood was a real American dream no shit. the bay area at the time was great weather all the time, hot rods, dirt bikes, skate boards, hang gliders, sprint cars, muscle cars, choppers, speed shops, fab shops, race tracks, gun’s, tractors and chicks capitol of the world.

My dad wasn’t into going to the races so my step dad [Robert] took me to my first SJ MILE RACE. It changed me for ever. About half way through the race Robert grabs me and we head down the bleachers to the middle of the track and Robert gives the guy the passes and he opens this door that let us go onto the track so we crossed the track and went into the pits.

we found Gary’s pit and Robert introduces him self and me to Erv.Erv said HI jay
We have been expecting you. Say hi to some of the guy’s………….. jay that’s Gary, and in the lawn chair is and I said Bert and that…and I said Kenny
And they all laugh making a joke that they all had name tags on there leathers and I shook hands with
Them and chatted a bit. they signed a team mulhuland shirt for me and gave me some stickers and pictures
we said good luck And went back to the stands. that was the day I watched a kawi triple built by Erv annihilate the entire field. one day I will ride one I said to my self…..one day.

my dad worked out a deal with erve and he dropped my bike and parts off at erv’s a week later ERV calls my house asked for me !!! we chit chatted a bit and he said the bike was ready. I was so Impressed with these guys that My direction for life was set that day and has never changed. When the day cam to pic up the bike it was so exciting I was sick.

We pulled into a huge farm at the end of the runway of the SJ air port. we are trying to find someone home but now one answered I saw this huge barn with the door open a tad and went to look .wow the entire ceiling of this barn was covered with hanging expansion chambers at least 3 g of them. Then I headed back to the van, and to the left there was a smaller barn about the size of a one car garage, and out pops erv , and his Dad, we said hellos and we went into the engine shop which was like a doctors office , instead of anatomy posters there were gears on the wall. Steam liners hanging from the ceilings and go carts hanging on walls, truly an amazing site, and there in the corner was my bike.
I set out to learn all I could about engines, fabrication, mechanics, in a real world environment, when I acquired the skill needed to build what ever my mind came up with
I realized That unless I throughout allot of the things I had seen done and most the things I had been told then thews influences get in the way of fresh design. Sometimes I look at a project as if it was the first one and there were no examples. then introduce that design to the existing examples and known proven data to avoid recreating the wheel. Its my nature to avoid influences from a verbal source let alone a written one as much as I can but remain practical about it . Armed with all I had learned since that day we picked up my
Erv kenemoto special almost 40 years ago.
I built the
OUTLAW XJ500T and I could not be happier of outcome.

Thanks to both my dads Erv,Gary and my mom

Smoker

#125 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:06 pm

JonW

#126 Post by JonW » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:03 pm

Really sorry to hear this Pete, a real blast from the past seeing this thread again. RIP Jay.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

Smoker

#127 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:43 pm

How do we even put a price on this bike?

Any opinions?

I'll probably contact Framemaker (Julian) for an opinion. He's plated more custom bikes than anyone I know.

Should make a diference if it's street legal.

Smoker

#128 Post by Smoker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:33 pm

I went out to the family home on the reservation for 8 days. Back, now. Talked to Lex. Nice guy, no wonder he was good friends with Jay.

Some things about the Outlaw 500 Bike are not as I thought. I think the last part I saw made was the new aluminum tail with the tail light and turn signals frenched in. That was to make it street legal with a 750cc engine and all electronics. I lost touch with Jay shortly after he went to TX to take care of his Mom.

I'm still unsure what condition the bike is in, or how much Jay got done. He did tell me how he wanted to re-do the pipes in stainless, and he wanted my help in the end to bling it out.

Was talking to Lex who mentioned that the bike wasn't finished, and I started thinking that maybe Jay didn't do any more work on the bike. If that's true, it's quite unfinshed. Not sure yet if there's even a 750cc engine for the bike.

I put some feelers out about the bike, and the info isn't great. I spoke to a knowledgeable museum guy. I was told Jay is not a man with historical significance. He said the 100cc bike rebuilt for Jay by Erv Kanemoto would be a desirable piece, but only with proper documentation from Erv himself. He said, without historical significance, the bike needs to be outstanding on it's own merit. From the pics and description I provided, it's not close to museum quality.

Left messages for 3 guys with deep pockets, and many 2-strokes. One guy has the capability to easily finish the bike. No interest, so far.

Until I get more info about the bike, I'm now thinking the bike should go to someone who can defintely finish it. You guys know I haven't been able to get much done on my bike projects for several reasons, so I'm probably not a good candidate. I don't even have a place to put it, atm. Feeling pretty bad. No idea what offers Lex has received.

Smoker

#129 Post by Smoker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:31 pm

Info from Lex.

1. There is no 750cc motor. The bike still has the H1 500cc engine. For the most part the motor is stock save for a breakerless ignition and shop made wire harness.
2. The XJ is no longer green, it's black and silver except for the tail cone remains unpainted.
3. The new riveted aluminum tail cone is finished and is sporting a working tail light however I'm not sure if the brake switch was ever installed.
4. The exhaust is the original shop-built chambers but the silencers and tips were changed to accommodate the new tail. The original exhaust tips may still exist, I'll know when I get the bike.
5. The last time I saw the bike it did run but holy shit was it loud! I've been working on bike for most of my life and let me assure you few bikes are louder.

I'll post more info as I get it, for anyone interested.

Smoker

#130 Post by Smoker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:40 pm

Smoker

#131 Post by Smoker » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:43 am

Couldn't sleep again. Stayed up for hours looking at pics and videos posted by Jay. There's a lot of stuff out there, if you search.

Found (I think) 703 pics/videos on Flicker. Not sure how to download pics from there. I've never been a member of any social media website.

What a motherload! Jay as a kid, with the Erv Kanemoto bike. Pics of the XT500J from beginning to end. Videos of him riding, building his own off-road motorcycle track with a bulldozer, jobs and many creations he did. Knives, furniture, carvings, cars, motorcycles, heavy machinery, etc., etc., etc. Cool stuff from his stories, like the cannon he made. Lots of family and friends stuff, and sure enough, plenty of stuff with his good friend, Lex.

Jay's celebration of life will be at The Pavillion on Summit road in Los Gatos on March 23rd. The XJ500 will be there and Lex said he has every intention of starting it. Haven't spoke to him lately about the bike. He's supposed to pick it up toward the end of Feb.

Smoker

#132 Post by Smoker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 am

Smoker

#133 Post by Smoker » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:55 pm

rippa

#134 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:42 pm

very cool show bike!

Smoker

#135 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:19 pm

Rest in peace Jay Abington.
Motorcyclist. Fabricator of things, great and small. My good friend.