Fox Twin-Clicker service manual

Central location for technical tips and information

Moderators: rztom, silverstrom

HOJO

Fox Twin-Clicker service manual

#1 Post by HOJO » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:51 am

Good day RZ Friends,
I'm rebuilding and servicing both front and rear suspension on my 84 RZ350 this winter and really want to make sure it gets done right, I'm looking for a "Service Manual" for my Fox Twin-Clicker shock but I'm not having very much luck, I do have the Owner/Setup book but can not find the service book, I know it's out there somewhere, can someone out there help me with this.
I've been getting conflicting information from numerous people and shock rebuilders like the nitrogen charges from 150psi to almost 400psi, I'd sure like to know what it correct before I hand it off to someone for rebuilding, I'd also like to know what lb # spring is correct for the RZ and 200lb rider, I have a 600lb X 7" long spring in it now, I think the 600lb may be correct but the 7" is to long because it will not allow me to unload the spring to get a accurate preload adjustment, I have to use a spring compressor to get it off right now and that's not correct, I should be able to back off the preload adjuster nut and completely unload the spring for easy removal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bikes
2012 XT1200 SuperTenere
2023 Tenere700
1984 RZ350L
2010 Heritage Softail

kobra

Re: Fox Twin-Clicker service manual

#2 Post by kobra » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:52 am

I will try to find the service manual, but it will be tricky given the age.

The nitrogen charge is probably 100 to 150psi. This is kind of the go-to for a monotube base valve shock that is tuned properly. You can go with either of these and should feel no difference on the bike. If you put 400, it might get a bit more harsh riding and affect your preload setting. For information, setting it to 400 would be reserved for a shock with no adjuster on the canister in an off-road application.

As a reference point, I am running a 700lb 7" spring and I weigh 200lbs. Having to compress the spring to install it is not necessarily indicative of the wrong length. You should run the longest spring you can fit on there and still let you set the correct sag. Knowing the specific preload amount in mm is not important. That said you can simply check the Eibach website and they will list if the spring rate/length you've chosen has adequate travel before coil bind. Factoring in preload, it should have more travel than the shock has (full stroke, including the rubber bumper).

HOJO

#3 Post by HOJO » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:40 am

Thanks for the info Kobra,
You mentioned you have a 700# rear spring how does it feel I also plan to install front springs and emulator valves, did you put heavier springs in the front, if so what # did you use, I would kinda like to get it correct the first time. I'd rather only have to make adjustments like sag, ride height, compression and rebound, the simple stuff as opposed to purchasing more hardware, I'd rather be riding. I ride the bike pretty hard and would like to ride it a lot harder but the suspension is the only thing slowing me down.
Thanks again for your input.
Bikes
2012 XT1200 SuperTenere
2023 Tenere700
1984 RZ350L
2010 Heritage Softail

mixalive

#4 Post by mixalive » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:11 pm

Did you acquire the Twin Clicker manual? I have a copy if you still need one.
RZ350 with FZ600 swingarm, FZR600 wheels, front end and FZR400 bodywork.

HOJO

#5 Post by HOJO » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 pm

That would be great, you can link it here or e-mail it to me if it's possible and not too much trouble.
Thanks HOJO
hojo3g@gmail.com
Bikes
2012 XT1200 SuperTenere
2023 Tenere700
1984 RZ350L
2010 Heritage Softail

85RZwade

#6 Post by 85RZwade » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:07 pm

mixalive, if you’re emailing that manual, I’d surely appreciate a copy please.🙏

ktmwade@yahoo.com
85 RZ350 daily rider Toomeys, FZ swinger & wheel, Fox shock, Raasks
85 RZ350 JLs, FZ swinger, Katana rear & CBR929 front wheel, CBR600F4 forks & brakes
75 RD350 Ritter-tuned top end, PWK28s, JLs, HPI, TDR wheels, GSX-R forks, Motolana swinger

kobra

#7 Post by kobra » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:53 am

HOJO wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:40 am Thanks for the info Kobra,
You mentioned you have a 700# rear spring how does it feel I also plan to install front springs and emulator valves, did you put heavier springs in the front, if so what # did you use, I would kinda like to get it correct the first time. I'd rather only have to make adjustments like sag, ride height, compression and rebound, the simple stuff as opposed to purchasing more hardware, I'd rather be riding. I ride the bike pretty hard and would like to ride it a lot harder but the suspension is the only thing slowing me down.
Thanks again for your input.
I found an old school manual but not sure it's what you're looking for.

I put emulators and .80 springs up front. It feels great. Wouldn't change a thing.

RxRZ

#8 Post by RxRZ » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:19 am

What did you find? I think it will be at least 200psi.