YSS Rear Shock + Expectations

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

evan_calgary

YSS Rear Shock + Expectations

#1 Post by evan_calgary » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:43 am

Hello hello

Throw my questions right up front and info below.
Am I going to notice a significant improvement with a base YSS vs. a 30 year old shock and if so, what is this 'improvement' going to feel like riding?

Other than dirt bikes I have not spent a significant amount of time messing with suspension so i've got little experience on what 'better' suspension feels like all else equal. I've likely ridden 50 different motorcycles so I certainly can tell when a full package is nicer but haven't isolated the suspension piece.

I've heard replacing the old sad rear shock may be one of the better uses of funds on a RZ rebuild but not entirely sure what i can expect. I've had quite a number with all running the stock shock and one with the R6 setup. The R6 setup felt mighty stiff in the rear though I suspect part of that was a lack of setup on my part.

Looking at the Yambits YSS base shock below.
https://yambits.co.uk/rz350l-nitrogen-m ... 78657.html

Looks like just spring preload and dampening. Drop in which is nice.

They also have a higher spec YSS for another 40 pounds or so. Worthwhile? Not? I doubt I will spend a huge amount of time messing with the shock settings given limited time to ride and don't care about ride height adjustment.
https://yambits.co.uk/rz350l-nitrogen-m ... 57997.html

Any specific, experienced opinions would be appreciated!

Evan

evan_calgary

Re: YSS Rear Shock + Expectations

#2 Post by evan_calgary » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:44 am

I should also note i've taken a read of this guy from the archives.

viewtopic.php?p=151949&hilit=yss#p151949

kpke
-----
-----

#3 Post by kpke » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 am

I installed the YSS shock. Also did fork emulators. I am no suspension expert as with many bikes to ride I "adapt" to each one and their unique characters.

But I must say that that YSS shock works fantastic on the recent resto mod build I did. On this build I wanted to retain stock forks and swingarm so improved those components. I think the shock is well worth the $$$. No frame mods required.

Good luck.

https://youtu.be/bfwUZtDi1TY

evan_calgary

#4 Post by evan_calgary » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:29 pm

So what does the improvement feel like when riding? Taking corners with bumps? Trying to get an idea of the change to the actual handlign characteristics. I've had the soft stock RZ and a very firm race setup. The race setup was not desireable on the street. Overall the RZ suspension is quite soft but i've always attributed that to being an older bike.

Interesting Yamaha calls for 10w30 oil for the forks. Does that mean a 30w fork oil is the proper replacement to maintain OEM handling characteristics? Seems teh fork oil will froth less under application and would be an improvement.
kpke wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:29 am I installed the YSS shock. Also did fork emulators. I am no suspension expert as with many bikes to ride I "adapt" to each one and their unique characters.

But I must say that that YSS shock works fantastic on the recent resto mod build I did. On this build I wanted to retain stock forks and swingarm so improved those components. I think the shock is well worth the $$$. No frame mods required.

Good luck.

https://youtu.be/bfwUZtDi1TY

85RZwade

#5 Post by 85RZwade » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:16 pm

What I noticed first about the Fox shock when I put it on my RZ was the way the bike transitioned from leaning one way to leaning the other. With the stock shock, the bike rose up as the shock extended (no rebound damping). With the Fox, rebound feels controlled. Imagine going from full right turn to full left and the bike just rolls on its axis rather than rising as it becomes vertical and then falling.
85 RZ350 daily rider Toomeys, FZ swinger & wheel, Fox shock, Raasks
85 RZ350 JLs, FZ swinger, Katana rear & CBR929 front wheel, CBR600F4 forks & brakes
75 RD350 Ritter-tuned top end, PWK28s, JLs, HPI, TDR wheels, GSX-R forks, Motolana swinger

evan_calgary

#6 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Thanks Wade! I've noticed with some bushings swaps and the new shock the play is right out of the swingarm which is already a big improvement.