OEM reed gap

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

jumjum01

OEM reed gap

#1 Post by jumjum01 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:10 pm

Since my OEM reeds had big air gap (0.7mm) I was looking to change petals or buy new aftermarket reeds. I did some reading on forums on different reeds and performance. Not very easy due to so many different opinions and very little dyno proof. I desided to check out my oem reeds and quickly discovered the reason they had a big gap between the cage and petals. The aluminium area where the petals are screwed i place with 2 M3 bolts where lower than the rubber sealing surface, causing the petals to bend when torquing down the bolts. I made a spacer from some 0.1mm trim stock to go between the cage and petals and now they seal up just fine.
I found this stuffer to go into the reed cage. Has anyone tried them out? They are a relative cheap upgrade if they perform like the dyno suggests.
https://www.mrp-racing.de/Stuffer-for-R ... ve-34x30mm
Attachments
before.jpg
before.jpg (271.52 KiB) Viewed 329 times
shim.jpg
shim.jpg (348.96 KiB) Viewed 329 times
not flush.jpg
not flush.jpg (175.76 KiB) Viewed 329 times

kpke
-----
-----

Re: OEM reed gap

#2 Post by kpke » Mon May 08, 2023 9:08 am

I have used many aftermarket reed valves. Hard to say what is best in my street applications. I'm pretty sure that TDR, who sells his own reeds, uses VFORCE in their race bikes. I have VFORCE 4 in my main rider and they work great. Consider a set of OEM Banshee reeds as an economical replacement if you are going to replace them. I know Evans Ward uses these and is satisfied with them on his street bike.

Those "stuffer" parts may be snake oil. I've never heard of them. Maybe Martin will pipe in here on the things.