warped cylinder head

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

RZtuner

Re: warped cylinder head

#46 Post by RZtuner » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:24 pm

If you are getting 130 psi and the Y3 head is stock, that's about as good as it gets for a stock head on a fresh build. You shouldn't have any problems.

These Snap-on gauges are very accurate to the point they react perfectly to air density and altitude. Take a 130 psi engine tested at sea level to Bonneville which is at 4200 ft and you will lose 10-15 psi right away on a compression test depending on the ambient air temperature. Less air and less power! So I would disagree they are a poor test of compression ratio. Mine is a valuable tool, no perhaps about it.
350 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World Landspeed record holder
500 Prod. SCTA Bonneville World record holder
350 Prod. AMA Bonneville National record holder
350 P-MG AMA Bonneville National record holder
AMA No.1plate holder x2
Pioneer- Motorsport Hall of Fame

(F5)

#47 Post by (F5) » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:43 am

I'm sure Jennings agrees with you, I'll just consult the book. Hmm. . . Sure it's on page. . . Um,. . . no, cant seem to find it. Maybe Bell.. . Hmm, no. . . . Must be in appendix.

A bit of work will give a measurement with a non compressible liquid. Science, not faith.

[Edit], look sorry, I'm being a dick. No point turning this into a urination contest. I just think a bit of measurement will give him some solid numbers and, depending on the worst gas he expects to encounter, judge whether some metal should be removed to make his otherwise careful and expensive remedial work reliable.
496 Cheetah. TSS PVs, PWK35s, Ignitech, RGV(ish) chassis

RZtuner

#48 Post by RZtuner » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Been drinking again? Yes you are being a dick and I accept your apology. The thing is you seem to have a hate on for all compression gauges based on your own poor results with a crappy gauge. Quite the opposite of results I get with a quality gauge. You buy quality tools, you get better results.

And yes, I agree with you a simple measurement of cylinder head volume and a bit of math will give accurate compression ratio figures, but don't discount the use of a decent compression gauge when building an engine or for testing piston condition if you have been doing WOT runs.
AMA No.1plate holder x2

(F5)

#49 Post by (F5) » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:38 pm

Yes, I was being as much of a dick as you were with your condescending attitude.

I never said my gauge was crappy. I said it was moderately expensive and German. It isn't really in the German psyche to create inferior tools.

But let me guess. If it ain't American it ain't shoot. There's a whole world out there if you care to look.

The right tool for the job rather than a favoured one used for everything.

A better test of ring to bore seal is a leak down tester at high pressure with the crank locked and obviously an escape path though inlet, (as opposed to a low pressure crank seal test where everything is blocked).

RZtuner

#50 Post by RZtuner » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:03 pm

This is all getting a bit ridiculous. First you tell us your German gauge reads 190 psi so you take some metal out of the head and then the gauge reads 195 psi. One would conclude the gauge is at fault. Then someone (me) says perhaps you need a better quality gauge as they have found them quite accurate based on building many engines and extensive two stroke racing experience ...and you find that suggestion condescending??? ... and after dissing pressure gauges, now you are defending the gauge??? Wow!

Then you follow this up that you guess I am that sort of guy who only thinks American products are good??? Nothing could be further from the truth. I try to buy quality tools and I don't care which country they come from. I have Chinese T wrenches in my tool box because the quality is far superior to 'merican Motion Pro. So you are dead wrong in your assumption! FYI Snap-on is the industry standard for mechanics here in Canada. It's high priced, but the quality is hard to beat. You should try them sometime.

Yes indeed, there is a whole world out there. I've been fortunate to visit 80 countries so far, I love meeting people from other cultures. So you are wrong on that point too!

At this point it seems you have a closed mind to my opinions and advice that I give openly to try and assist people that do not have the experience I have, and that's your choice, so I'll leave it at that. You do your thing your way and I'll do things my way.

I feel sorry this tirade has ruined this guys thread.

Go in peace.
AMA No.1plate holder x2

(F5)

#51 Post by (F5) » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:17 pm

No, I find it condescending when you ask if I've been drinking in an attempt to belittle my posts. Then you say I have crappy tools. Earlier you told someone off, like you are the holy moral police. I bet you don't even realise you are doing it.

Yes I did think you were in the US as your 'Brag Page' at the bottom of each post had US events.

One might conclude that the gauge is faulty if one was closed minded. Someone else might think; Hey! It's just a pressure gauge with a one way valve. Nothing more, nothing less. And despite what Devine name it has on the side of it, it can't see inside the engine, or measure volume. It's just a pressure gauge.