Go Pro Anti-Jello Mount Experiment

Good with a camera? Post pics of your favorite 2-stroke here!

Moderator: rztom

75RD350rider

Go Pro Anti-Jello Mount Experiment

#1 Post by 75RD350rider » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:57 am

Frank B gave me a camera mount for my Go Pro a while back and I tried It out on the handle bars using the mirror mount hole and got a lot of what I am told the drone guys call jelloing or shaky video. So I have been watching some how tos and doing some research. I bought an anti-jello mount made out of aluminum as I don't trust Chinese carbon fiber which is what most of them are made out of for $7 shipped and two tripod mounts for $12 each shipped. Then I made two small studs out of a 1/4 20 bolt and red loctited them into the tripod mounts. Then I used serrated washers so they would dig into the aluminum and tightened every thing down. Then I faced off the ends of the studs a bit with my bench grinder to make sure there was enough space so they couldn't touch and installed zip ties loosely at the corners in case of grommet failure. I hope to test it soon.

I love the smell of Blue Marble in the morning!
Tim Steele in Front Royal, VA

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: Go Pro Anti-Jello Mount Experiment

#2 Post by LC Cnd » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:46 am

I created a foam rubber mount to mold onto my helmet for the gopro. Looking to mount a second & what your doing is interesting - good luck!

brrrappp

#3 Post by brrrappp » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:31 pm

Cool experiment.
My experience has been that the longer the distance the camera is from a solid point on the motorcycle the more the movement from vibration is amplified. By placing the bracket near the end of the handlebar on the mirror mount you get hi-frequency handlebar vibration. That vibration then gets amplified over the additional length of the bracket. It will be interesting to see how much vibration the rubber mounts will dampen-out.

I like the helmet mounted camera because the camera looks where the driver looks. This can be be a liability if the rider is looking in the wrong direction during an accident but is otherwise better for capturing oddities and encounters while riding- like beach "distractions" or a cool car passing or an interesting scenic landscape feature.

75RD350rider

#4 Post by 75RD350rider » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:36 am

https://youtu.be/OwO5H1qrcEA
Not perfect but better. A $30 experiment. Mounting to the handlebars may be a factor and the length of the arm or the arm itself. I will experiment further.

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#5 Post by LC Cnd » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:33 pm

For $30 you can't go wrong figuring things out. The logic regarding vibration is spot on. Perhaps adding a gel dampener between the bottom plate and gopro elbow? Not sure if gel packs, other than for motorcycle seats, exists that small. Also there is the idea of creating lead (almost like barends) fishing lure size dampeners might absorb the vibrations attached to the plates. If you go to the to the AFL website, under Transmission Conductor Vibration, it might be some inspiration. Side note - what's with the Super Sabre parked in someone's (appears) front yard?

75RD350rider

#6 Post by 75RD350rider » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:39 pm

That is the Front Royal Airport 300 yards from my driveway. It has been there for a long time.

brrrappp

#7 Post by brrrappp » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:19 am

It's really much better than I would have expected. I was thinking your video was going to look the way things appear in my mirrors. That video quality is really very good, probably about as good as the helmet mount.

75RD350rider

#8 Post by 75RD350rider » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:56 am

Thanks. I am.going to experiment further. The bridge I crossed has been patched numerous times and is quite rough and that is the only really bad part. I hope a reduction in the length of the arm will help too.