Pricey 85

Let us know when you find 2-stroke related stuff

Moderators: rztom, 2smoke

silverstrom

Pricey 85

#1 Post by silverstrom » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm

The owner describes it as some kind of rare gem. I see it very differently and think the prince is laughable. Then there are some odd photos you'll find amusing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Yamaha-RZ ... 13&mkevt=1

Yellow and Black RZ

Re: Pricey 85

#2 Post by Yellow and Black RZ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Probably have to pay the guy $15 grand just to stop talking,
No thanks.
'85 RRZ350 - Hacked.

tacky1

#3 Post by tacky1 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:54 pm

LOl, Tough crowd around here :P
I did see that one and I had a smirk, Bloody pricey for a bike that needs work and non matching number,
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1984 GPZ750 Turbo
1989 VFR750R RC30

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Holy crap! and I thought i was verbose at times... lol

Here is the reasoning... for a $15k bike (if you read this in 2025 that might seem like the normal price, but lets just say its something like at least double what it should be in today's market in 2021).

--

PLEASE NOTE. THIS IS GOING TO BE AS DESCRIPTIVE OF A MOTORCYCLE FOR SALE AD, AS YOU'VE EVER SEEN. I'M ABOUT DETAILS. IF THE AD DETAILS OF 5 MINUTES OF READING IS TOO MUCH, ITS PROBABLY NOT THE RIGHT BIKE FOR YOU. IF YOU'RE A SERIOUS BUYER, PLEASE READ :-)

I'M A 19 YEARP0WERSELLER, AND I WANT TO BE A THOROUGH FOR YOU AS I POSSIBLY CAN. PLEASE NOTE BEFORE YOU KEEP READING, IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A STOCK BIKE, MOVE ON. WE WANTED THE HISTORY OF RZ350 AS A SPEC ii RACE/TRACK BIKE, IN A UPDATED 2000's ENGINE/SUSPENSION PCKG.

HISTORY:
step 1: The purchase
My desire for a top of the line RZ350 started years ago, but in early 2014 one came up for sale 800 miles from home. My wife and I jumped in my truck and arrived in Missoula MT to pouring rain and freezing temps. "perfect bike buying weather". The seller was short on words, the bike was complete but the wheels were seized from sitting and the buyer all of a sudden "couldnt find the paperwork." Are you kidding me? After we drove 3 states to come buy it? So i said I'm paying you 300 dollars under asking until you can find the title, long story short, he blocked me and I never heard from him.

Step 2: Contract the builder
Reach out the best 2 stroke tuner/builder I know at the time. His name is Troy Gessner out of Bellingham, WA. If you're ever curious, go look at 125GP records, his son John, had all of them. His dad is a 2 stroke genius and was a meticulous engineer type mechanic. Never cuts corners, never says "that should be ok". While every other GP125 would have some sort of a mechanical or seizure, John and Troy went 2 years with 2 mechanicals, and both were electrical related, not catastrophic mechanicals. At any rate, I reach out and he says tell ya what... You get that RZ, and I'll do a frame up, cases up build for you. He's recently retired, and excited to work on a 2 stroke bigger than a 125GP Honda. We talk about the best route and without going into politics, WA state is real bugger on VIN/No title issues. So we result to buying a frame and title off of Ebay from AZ. Frame arrives to Bellingham, i take paperwork to DOL, we get title in my name, the DAY we recieve the proper title, clean title, Troy got to work. Please note, we are building a true Spec II Racing version of the RZ350. Spec II oem bodywork, Spec II windscreen, Spec II crankshaft rebuild and weld up, Spec II pipes. THIS IS A NON-MATCHING FRAME/ENGINE. Since this is a fun Spec II Yamaha version, the vin on the frame and the vin on the engine should absolutely not matter. It surely didnt to us. This is an aftermarket build with todays components and goodies almost everything upgraded to be better.

Step 3: The build.
When I tell you that this was a nut and bolt restoration, I'm not saying it was "kinda taken down and slapped together with new top end and pistons" I"m talking every wear item, every nut bolt seal was ordered through Yamaha. We paid hundreds of dollars to have oem fasteners, nuts bolts springs, seals, all OEM. Here's the short list. You will recieve with the bike, a build book. See final photo, its 1 page of your build book where Troy outlines every detail from every day he spent working/building the bike.
Entire bike disassembled down to nothing. Everything in the engine was in working order except the cylinder head showed some bad gas pre-detonation wear, so we waited for a month for a perfect OEM Cyl head to pop up on ebay.
Crankshaft sent to Spec II Racing to Gary for rebuild and welding.
After tearing everything down we realized after talking to the painter, the only way to get that specific decal kit to look right, is if its on the bike. Trevor Beckman at FlexiGlass in Vancouver Canada, needed the bike almost like it was going to be done. So the only way around this was to put the bike back together, without the engine and drive the entire bike to him across the border. Troy did just that. The Spec II edition decals were applied to the bike on top of the white paint but underneath the clearcoat, just like it should be. the paint/clear looks like a factory job. After paint was done, Troy went to pick it back up, and carefully disassemble it, and put the bodywork off to the side. Ducati red and bright white. Are those factory colors. Nope. Do they look correct, yup.

All holes in the frame were cleaned and die tapped. The frame recieved new head bearing races in the frame (and bearings upon reassembly)

The internet says that the rear shock is "not repairable" Troy brought the rear shock to KFG Racing. You may have heard of them, they're the #1 suspension shop on the westcoast. KFG drilled/tapped the shock, recharged it, and resprung for a 200lb rider. No more saggy bike with worn out 35 year old shock for a 140lb rider. Even better, when you buy the bike, if in 10 years it feels soft. KFG can service it again for you, like a current day sportbike shock. The front forks were torn down by Troy personally and rebuilt with new internals and oil. The calipers were nasty. He tore them down and rebuilt them with new parts and new brake pads. The wheels and calipers were in great shape. The bike only had 15k original miles.

When Troy reassembled the transmission, all the small washers, seals, springs, pins, bearings were replaced. Everything reassembled like a tech would in 1985. Shifts like a new bike.

Engine wise, the engine is stock. No crazy porting. No changes to compression. Troy says "we want this bike to last. We want it to run prime, and behave on the street." So I agreed to that for sure. We decided to install VFORCE3 reed cages for some added mid-range power. Rebuilt oil and water pump. New bridgestone tires.

Things not restored: seat/seat cover, wheels, rotors, tachometer cluster, taillight and grab bar, bar end mirrors kept.

Amsoil Dominator 2 stroke race oil injector used for break-in. Coolant topped off, Yamalube oil for trans. Bike runs like a dream, pulls hard, shifts hard, sounds great. Has a nice crackle to the pipes :-)

Lastly......Step 4: The negative. (small stuff!)
Ready for the bad news? (I told you. No surprises. Thats not how I sell)
Upon getting the bike back together, I went up to Troys house and he says well Darren the bike is back together go ride it. But we do have a ever so slight (a drip an hour) leak near the petcock. so we wipe the drip and go for a ride. Bike is great, I pay troy for his time, and i'm on my way home. I get home unload, go ride it again, I go for a 35ish mile ride, I'm as happy as a clam. All the electrical works, bike pulls, corners, shifts, and brakes, like a bike 20 years, 30 years newer! The gauge cluster still has a small chip out of the lower right side. very minor, see photo. I'm all smiles.... Until the next morning. I head out and the shop has a strong gas smell. I find a grapefruit sized puddle of fuel on the ground. I realize the tank leak is a bigger issue than I first realized. I touch the area up UNDER the bottom of the tank, if you know RZ350's, they have a section of a half an inch that is LOWER than the petcock. A horrible design as all RZ owners know. I didnt catch it, Troy didnt catch it and VERY sadly, the painter/sander, did not catch it :( Now we have fresh paint, fresh decals from australia, on a tank that needs some sort of a repair. I am no body guy, but i did what I could to try to fix it. i used an exacto knife on the fresh paint up under the tank maybe 1"? (i know, teeth gritting to read that) and I applied a thin line of JB weld. It was a temporary fix that worked for a few months, but it didnt fix it. I rode it 1 more time. I've had the bike entered in 2 motorcycle exhibition shows, and it one that gets the looks. And now the embarrassing part. A small dribble lead to the bike being parked and "i'll deal with it later." Its 2021. I opened Troy's book to read off some of the meticulous notes, and it starts off with "15 May, 2014"..... I just shook my head. I have a family now, and I've decided to split ways with the bike. So you know the entire story. You're getting the best of the best, frame up, engine up, suspension up type bike. You're getting bodywork that is as rare as a white unicorn, a windscreen that is no longer in production, and pipes that are hard to find. BUT you will need to repair the slow leak gas tank. At this point you will need a new battery. The bike has approx 50 miles on it.

The bike will be delivered looking new, build book and title will be with the bike in the delivery truck. and I will ONLY ship the bike with www.motoshippers.com they are the only motorcycle shipping company I trust to do it right, arrive with no dents or scratches, and have great communication. If you are curious on shipping charges, contact Tim at motoshippers. Bike is located in Enumclaw, Washington. He can give you a cost and an estimated ETA. I have sold a few bikes and I always use motoshippers. Tim is a retired roadracer, not a goon with a CDL. When calling Tim to ask for a quote, you can ask about Darren. He knows me personally from our roadracing days.

To review: To get the bike ride & bike show ready. In a nutshell. Have someone fix pinhole leak(s) in tiny corner of tank. Install fresh battery, and I'd install 2 new NGK plugs that havent been sitting for 6 years. Some buyers would say EASY EASY! Well...... I'm looking for YOU. Hope this is the dream bike you've been looking for. Parts are hard to come by, bike is hard to come by, and a TOP SHELF mechanic is even harder to come by. Thanks for considering. Remember a stock, clean, high mile RZ350 just sold for 18k on ebay last month. This is a deal, I just need to find the right guy that GETS IT.

Auction details:
Buyers from the lower 48 states are the only ones eligible. Buyer MUST have a paypal account, buyer MUST be ok sending a cashiers check immediately so we can contact Motoshippers asap.

Payment & Delivery:
Just as I'm thorough on my listing. Lets get this done promptly as we can for both of our sake. When auction ends, please send the $500 dollar nonrefundable deposit. Winning bidder will be contacted immediately after auction ends. Please send the remaining balance in 10 days via cashiers check. The moment your $500 dollar deposit is made, we can contact Tim at motoshippers, to schedule a pickup date. See my ebay history. I sell a lot of inventory. I've had 2 negs in a a rolling calendar year, and 409 happy ones. I am a top member on this platform.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

silverstrom

#5 Post by silverstrom » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Did you notice the problem with the engine photos?

Go back and have a look at the disassembled engine photos. Quite an oversight given the verbose description.

JonW

#6 Post by JonW » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 pm

haha Yes its some kind AC, I did notice but thought it was the least of the ads worries lol
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

kobra

#7 Post by kobra » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 pm

I like how it's said to be this immaculate restoration, meanwhile there's a chip on the engine cover, corroded foot pegs, fucked up gauge cluster, paint worn off the master cylinder, etc.

Smoker

#8 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 pm

"This is a deal, I just need to find the right guy that GETS IT."

Feel sorry for the uneducated sucker that thinks he's buying his dream bike.

brrrappp

#9 Post by brrrappp » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:45 pm

kobra wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 pm I like how it's said to be this immaculate restoration, meanwhile there's a chip on the engine cover, corroded foot pegs, fucked up gauge cluster, paint worn off the master cylinder, etc.
Can you even imagine how much your RZ350 "bolts up" restore must by worth on one of this guys auctions?

kobra

#10 Post by kobra » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm

brrrappp wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:45 pm
kobra wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 pm I like how it's said to be this immaculate restoration, meanwhile there's a chip on the engine cover, corroded foot pegs, fucked up gauge cluster, paint worn off the master cylinder, etc.
Can you even imagine how much your RZ350 "bolts up" restore must by worth on one of this guys auctions?
I didn't want to gloat or anything... but at least double LOL

brrrappp

#11 Post by brrrappp » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 am

Yellow and Black RZ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:49 pm Probably have to pay the guy $15 grand just to stop talking,
No thanks.
Based on the Ebay ad His going rate is $8.23 per word.