Lorenzo to Honda.

Road racing, drag racing, motocross, vintage - anything racing related discuss it here!

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Lorenzo to Honda.

#1 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:17 am

Next year just got interesting. Lorenzo signed a couple days ago by HRC. One if if not the smoothest rider now on the ultimate GP bike..so maybe someone can challenge Marquez and make for some enjoyable, exciting competition, which currently there is none. It's basically Marc, challenging himself.
Honda no doubt has the most refined, best funded and developed machines, but there still Honda.. the BIG DOG..there still responsible for Moto GP being what it is. Marquez is young n immature, but can be likeable? Lorenzo...I've never warmed up to his jelous antics and snobby attitude, kinda detracts from his image , at least for me.
But he's likely the only real challenge for Marquez. Theve each proven to ultimately be faster than Rossi...
Hopefully we'll see some racing with multiple lead changes.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

waltmil

Re: Lorenzo to Honda.

#2 Post by waltmil » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:51 am

For certain they will compete with each other. Everyone else could be racing for third.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

T.RexRacing

#3 Post by T.RexRacing » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:04 pm

I think the field is tighter than you guys do.

First off Lorenzo is a one trick pony who's taken 18 months to sort out the Dewkati (a race winning bike) while Dovi's been in the hunt for the crown (6 wins in '17) on the same bike. When everything is on point he's astounding. I think it's a mistake when he finally has the Dewkati working for him to walk away. In addition I do not believe the Honda culture and playing second fiddle to Marky will do him well either. His margin is so small it's limiting.

And then.....Dovi...Zarco...Crutchlow.....and not in the least Rossi is still capable of winning.

Outside effects from ever stricter testing changes. Coming threats of aero rules. And unkown crap the FIM seems to throw in at the last minute. There's a reason the F1 guys are jealous of MotoGP and it's the competition.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

waltmil

#4 Post by waltmil » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Dovizioso had his best shot last year. Zarco will be on KTM and Crutchlow will continue to prove he is a satellite rider. Rossi does not believe the Yamaha is consistent enough to win and Vinales has lost his confidence. Iannone will grenade enough Aprilla engines to make them doubt their program. Lorenzo will have less trouble with the Honda than the Ducati.

Questo vecchio rz

#5 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 am

waltmil wrote:Dovizioso had his best shot last year. Zarco will be on KTM and Crutchlow will continue to prove he is a satellite rider. Rossi does not believe the Yamaha is consistent enough to win and Vinales has lost his confidence. Iannone will grenade enough Aprilla engines to make them doubt their program. Lorenzo will have less trouble with the Honda than the Ducati.
Lol, pretty much sums it up :smt005

It's also so true, that new rules change things for every team...except for that team called Honda, " He who makes the rules...." :smt042
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

T.RexRacing

#6 Post by T.RexRacing » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 pm

So we shall see.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

waltmil

#7 Post by waltmil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:09 am

And lil Marc will continue to win championships until he loses interest. And FWIW, with his reflexes, he would have been even more phenomenal on 500s.

T.RexRacing

#8 Post by T.RexRacing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am

That's not a given. He still hasn't learned racecraft all that well and relies heavily on (his prodigious) raw talent. Bit him in Mugello. Don't wish it on anyone but he's open to injury from that as well. An x-ray of Dani's collarbone probably looks like some creature from a Hollywood horror flick.
Salvador Dali

Questo vecchio rz

#9 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 am

As mentioned above, Injuries, major and even repetitive minor ones, shape/ transform a rider, usually for the worst. When a great rider is young and doing nothing but winning with utter domination such as Marquez, and one must use Rossi as an example as well, riders like this are often out in front, not dealing with the wild stampede behind them, so injuries for these two really were/are far or few between. But take Rossi's" career changing" leg injury he wasn't used to fighting in the pack, nor qualifying well back, it was new territory, IMO he's never regained his pre accident courage, can't blame him. Especially after being one of the two riders that unfortunately struck and killed Simochelli , his good friend. I don't care what anyone would say, that would ding anyone's armour.
Then as mentioned, Poor Pedrosa forever the bride's maid, never the bride, he's had spectacular accidents and others that just what seem minor accidents, but he always seems to get hurt. He's one tough guy, perhaps the toughest on the grid, such persaverance.
I personally believe Casey Stoner, decided that he was on borrowed time racing at the level he did, and that he was due for something bad, he didn't want to face that, not many do, edpecially with a young wife and child, to tell you the truth, he definitely was not the same after the Simochelli tradgedy, I think it was a defining factor in his leaving the sport. After returning to race Suzuka, then his bad accident there, Seems he wanted to return to Moto GP, millions don't go to far for young champion who likes to spend money, unfortunately for him a new wunder kid named Marquez came to down. That door was shut . I'm competitive, but suffering or the prospect of being injured badly, or riding the razors edge with peril...I couldn't do what they do...no way.
Hopefully Marquez never gets badly hurt, but don't be surprised if he's not racing at 100% afterwards if.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

graham heise

#10 Post by graham heise » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 am

questo you are Number 1 on the take of current affairs in moto gp, well written. My only gripe is the Honda. It's not as fast as marques, otherwise the other honda riders would be more freuquently on the podium. I think marques on a suzuki would take a title. Lorenzo on a Honda?? we'll see. He doesn't find the limit in practice like Marques does. Is there a smooth line on the Honda? Smooth seems to be his key?? I am excited to see the 2 hrc top guns meet at the first apex.
yamaha fanatic.

nokturnal
-----
-----

#11 Post by nokturnal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

i often wonder how marquez would do with the electronics
:smt017