Carbon fiber wheels

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Zombie

Carbon fiber wheels

#1 Post by Zombie » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Is anyone running them? I know they are expensive ($1k+), but they are also very lightweight. The aluminum mag-type stock wheels on a RZ look rather heavy, heavier than a conventional spoked wheel. Since lighter is always better (for performance vehicles anyway) the wheels seem to be overlooked when they seem like a good place to start.
-Z

Questo vecchio rz

Re: Carbon fiber wheels

#2 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Try more like 2-3k per bike as far as cost for carbon rims and cushdrive/sprocket carrier.

They make a huge diffrence. They deliver on all levels of how they are advertised. Magnesium rims help you save ballpark. 2-2.5 lbs over cast alum , carbon is another 30% or more lighter than magnesium wheels.
I dont have them, but I've ridden a CBR1000RR with them...impressive to say the least, even a breif ride tells the full story.
"Smoker" here has a set, but I dont beleive hes had then on the road yet.

I do not think carbon wheels are avail for the 18" 1980s RZ sized tires. Probably only on later 16.5 and 17" modern sizes and probably not anything avail under a 5" rear wheel width. I'm not 100% sure about that though. If your looking for a hybrid race style RZ then the stock RZ wheels or anything even resembling them is really not an option.

There are other cost effective used wheels you can utilize on a modified orig framed RZ & swingarm conversions your limited to a 4.5" wide rear wheel maximum. So any 80s early 90s wheel, cast alum or magnesium production wheel you can make fit should suit your needs, with a matching or compatible front end swap.

If your doing a hybrid, then you can include...carbon, magnesium, forged or any modern ultra lughtweight production sportbike wheel or width into your project.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

ghezzi

#3 Post by ghezzi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:13 pm

I got em for my RS250 .................. but then stuck em on me Guzzi, engineering to convert from twin swinger chain drive to single sided swing arm shaft drive, cost more than the wheels.
Saved 8.7kg between the pair. Huge difference, Bellagio now turns like a 675 Street Triple.

Mate has two Rs's, one with BST wheels. Has to check which bike he's on before the first round-a-bout.

BST make 18" x 3.5" wheels for Harley sportsters .....................................

PVM have CAD drawings going back nearly 30 years, can CNC you a set of wheels for older sport type bikes, to almost any design.
I'd rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

evan_calgary

#4 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Zombie wrote:Is anyone running them? I know they are expensive ($1k+), but they are also very lightweight. The aluminum mag-type stock wheels on a RZ look rather heavy, heavier than a conventional spoked wheel. Since lighter is always better (for performance vehicles anyway) the wheels seem to be overlooked when they seem like a good place to start.
-Z

Not a great place to start at all when the balance of your other mods combined could cost the same or less. Not to mention, these are not 'performance' bikes...why spend 1/3 of the value of the motorcycle on wheels?

By all means, go blow a few grand on some wheels for your RZ, your money to waste. If you have yet to have the wheels off your bike I doubt the conversion is in your wheelhouse.

ghezzi

#5 Post by ghezzi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:45 pm

Evan, it's all about perceptions.
When I bought my first LC back in the olden days, Moses and everybody else said I was mad because it was a "race bike" and too peaky for the street. It wouldn't last.
Now look where we have come.

Bang for buck, adding Carbon wheels to a sports bike that already has reasonably light wheels, you save a Kg and a bit. And everybody says "WOW".
I saved 4.5kg per wheel, now it stumbles for the gutter like a drunk!

Lightweight wheels aren't paid much attention by most folk, but once you've had em, you ain't going back. It's like comparing sex to masturbation. One is cheaper, but the other is better.
If Zombie is more focussed on handling and ease of turning etc, rather than straight out horsepower, then good on him.

The only question to ask here, What price satisfaction?
The only correct answer, "What ever floats YOUR boat".

evan_calgary

#6 Post by evan_calgary » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 am

Yes you are correct on many fronts there. If we are saying do what you want to do then by all means go for it...its your money! If the question is bang for buck then there is a good reason they are not common. I would like to see the handling difference on a modern bike with carbon wheels. Haven't had the chance to ride any yet.

ghezzi

#7 Post by ghezzi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:16 am

Evan, as I said before, those who save only 1.2kg per wheel are amazed at the difference.
Its not the static weight or even the un-sprung weight but the inertia of the rotating mass of wheel/tyre/discs that resists change of direction.
$3000 of Akropovic's won't improve your lap time by 2 seconds. BST carbon wheels can.

However, the best bang for buck is investing in your brain.
Bling/pipes/wheels/whatever might make one bike prettier or faster than another, sell your bike and you lose your advantage.

Coaching or advanced rider training - with skill you can ride anything fast, and safely. And you retain your advantage for life.

The Guzzi (at 75rwhp) gets scoffed at, a WOFTAM because anything 1000cc or over has more than double the power +.
I invested in maneuverability not HP, up a tight mountain road I can follow S1RR's with ease. I just laugh, because they wasted $25K on 120hp they can't use.

Anyhow, I'm off to check out an add for BST's for the RS485

South_Oz
-----
-----

#8 Post by South_Oz » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Ive seen a you tube clip of an R1 I think it was, a lap with std wheels then a lap with carbon wheels. 1.5 seconds faster with carbons. Not just going round corners but acceleration and braking is improved.

Dave
RZ 250 85 (Waiting)
RZ 250 85 (Parts)
RGV VJ21 250, Australian Speed Record Holder, MPS/G 250, 140.5 MPH
BMW R1100S 99 (Its Red)
BMW R1200GS (Its BIG)

http://www.dlra.org.au/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evan_calgary

#9 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:57 pm

ghezzi wrote:Evan, as I said before, those who save only 1.2kg per wheel are amazed at the difference.
Its not the static weight or even the un-sprung weight but the inertia of the rotating mass of wheel/tyre/discs that resists change of direction.
$3000 of Akropovic's won't improve your lap time by 2 seconds. BST carbon wheels can.

However, the best bang for buck is investing in your brain.
Bling/pipes/wheels/whatever might make one bike prettier or faster than another, sell your bike and you lose your advantage.

Coaching or advanced rider training - with skill you can ride anything fast, and safely. And you retain your advantage for life.

The Guzzi (at 75rwhp) gets scoffed at, a WOFTAM because anything 1000cc or over has more than double the power +.
I invested in maneuverability not HP, up a tight mountain road I can follow S1RR's with ease. I just laugh, because they wasted $25K on 120hp they can't use.

Anyhow, I'm off to check out an add for BST's for the RS485
Man, this is just full of contradictions. 2 seconds of lap times is not something you will feel on the street. I'm sure that 'waste' of a S1K would destroy your guzzi by a massive margin on the track.

So you buy $3K wheels to save 2 seconds on the track then scoff at a bike that will absolutely and truly embarrass your street machine on the same basis, price?

I've said above that I get it, but not when your argument invalidates your own argument...

ghezzi

#10 Post by ghezzi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Evan, as I said before, those who save only 1.2kg per wheel are amazed at the difference. I saved 4.5kg/wheel.

The only basis to any of your rants, is cost.

For me it's all about feel, just like horsepower I guess.And its a free world, and we do need to keep the economy going.

Back to my mate with S1000RR, we never ride at the track. Springbrook is a tight mountain road.
If I made $10,000 of engine mods to my Guzzi I would not have been able to keep up, coz it wouldn't turn like his bike.
With wheel and geometry changes I now could keep up, easy.

I like the feel of the Guzzi V-twin, my bike turns like I want, it handles like I want, it stops like I want. There is not an OEM factory bike on the market that I care to own.
I don't give a rats what you or anybody else thinks, IT'S MY BIKE! and I like it.

I hope Zombie does exactly the same, builds what he wants. It would be worse if he built a harley. (my opinion)
Meanwhile, you can sit in the corner counting pennies, raging with jealousy at all the people who buy better things than you. :smt019

Hey Zombie, you want to mod your bike in anyway, ignore the naysayers and ask all the questions you want, I'm here to help you mate. :smt041

Questo vecchio rz

#11 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:53 pm

us from spending foolish amounts of $ on these damned bikes...lol
Here is a link for a review of them, http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2010/12/a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ls-review/
It is pretty much typical. If I can notice the diffrence in feel on a friends bike, that Ive only ridden a few times then you know its real. Yes, they are very expensive, actually retail for $1000.00 more than what I thought at 4k all said & done. I doubt he will find nor get Dymag or PVM to offer any 18" or 17" 4.5"w RZ compatible wheels, but you never know ? Like I said a Hybrid is anything you want it to be..I cant afford them new, but I'd sure like a pair, probably not on a RZ though. In reality only skilled fast track guys are going to shave a second or two from their laptimes, us 40-50 year old dudes are just going to enjoy the feel and look. But if I had some $ to throw away...I'd do it, But not on my RZ though my Magteks are good enough for this application. I'd buy a semi-modern sportbike just to put them on, a bike like in the review CBR600RR is a perfect combination, as it compliments the wheels in every way a stock framed RZ could not
Last edited by Questo vecchio rz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

tacky1

#12 Post by tacky1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:32 pm

I would love a set of carbon wheel's for my 500, Well worth it for the bling a ling factor, They look fantastic on any bike
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1984 GPZ750 Turbo
1989 VFR750R RC30

Zombie

#13 Post by Zombie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:01 am

ghezzi wrote:I hope Zombie does exactly the same, builds what he wants. It would be worse if he built a harley. (my opinion)
Meanwhile, you can sit in the corner counting pennies, raging with jealousy at all the people who buy better things than you. :smt019

Hey Zombie, you want to mod your bike in anyway, ignore the naysayers and ask all the questions you want, I'm here to help you mate. :smt041
*built Harleys for a year and a 1/2*
Not for me. Did get to ride a factory XR750 though.
Just hope I can find a RGV/RSV250 roller to use once I get my combo figured out.
-Z

Smoker

#14 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Zombie wrote:Is anyone running them? I know they are expensive ($1k+), but they are also very lightweight.
Never seen carbon fiber wheels for $1,000. Not even used ones.

Most people don't use inexpensive components on carbon wheels, so the cost goes up fast.

The bare BST wheels are around $4,000. I think the cost for what you see in the pics is about $5,500.

Smoker

#15 Post by Smoker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Questo vecchio rz wrote:I doubt he will find nor get Dymag or PVM to offer any 18" or 17" 4.5"w RZ compatible wheels, but you never know ?
I have custom magnesium Dymags for my streetfighter RZ project.

Dymag will make wheels with custom fitment.
Last edited by Smoker on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.