Why no likes?

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

kpke
-----
-----

Re: Why no likes?

#16 Post by kpke » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 pm

hondaror wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:43 am This forum is so different. Many of us have met from far away places. It's that good. Like/dislike buttons are for other forums, not this one. Most of us prefer to comment or offer opinions, without attacking anyone.
The information here is incredible. Get used to us and see what you think in a year.
:smt023 (like)

brrrappp

#17 Post by brrrappp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Semi Oldguy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 pm Did you just say working on the bike is a waste of your time?
The smilie at the end meant that was to be taken facetiously. :smt040

But there have also been many hours spent that I could have made at least as much progress on the bike by mowing the lawn or sleeping or something.

For me, working on my motorcycles, even on a bad day, is more rewarding than mowing the lawn, sleeping or watching TV. Not that lawn mowing is a bad thing. As any homeowner knows, a well maintained lawn brings it's own satisfaction.
Smoker wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:33 pm
Couldn't count up the time I've wasted on mods that didn't work out.

That's my learning curve.

But, a bunch of "thumbs down" could have let me know I was heading down the road to failure.
Failure has it's own glory. Every great tale has a hero that succeeds through a series of failures. You Sir are a hero! Your success and your failures will be remembered. Your willingness to document your failures as well as your successes have guaranteed it.

While learning to downhill ski s a child, I finally made a single run down the mountain without a crash. In the lift line, I expressed my joy in accomplishment to my instructor. His reply was a simple one; "We learn more by falling than we do from not falling." He then said "The goal is not to learn how to keep from falling off your ski's but to learn to ski well."

History teaches us to succeed by not repeating the mistakes of the past. However, no truer quote has ever existed than "experience is the best teacher."

Semi Oldguy

#18 Post by Semi Oldguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm

But there have also been many hours spent that I could have made at least as much progress on the bike by mowing the lawn or sleeping or something.

For me, working on my motorcycles, even on a bad day, is more rewarding than mowing the lawn, sleeping or watching TV. Not that lawn mowing is a bad thing. As any homeowner knows, a well maintained lawn brings it's own satisfaction.

All I meant was that sometimes working on the bike results in no progress or reverse progress i.e. what Smoker was saying, and that mowing the lawn would have gotten as much done on the bike as me working on it did. I do(usually)find working on my bikes more rewarding than most other things in life.

Maybe you could call it a "positive feedback" button so it wouldn't seem like a social media kind of thing to people that are not into that.(me) And anyway, using it would be optional.

I'm done with my like post now. Moving on to things that really matter... Like what type of injector oil is best :smt041
The addiction:

85 RZ350 Bought it new!
76 GT750 Project
73 H2 Project
75 GT185 Project
03 MG V11 LeMans
90 CB1 It runs
12 650GS Runner
87 K75C Should run forever
02 1150GS Used to work

Smoker

#19 Post by Smoker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Never had a Facebook account, either.

But, dammit- I need one!

Great moto info and photos, not found elsewhere.

I can get a look, without member status, but sometimes I can't find any other way to make contact.

Semi Oldguy

#20 Post by Semi Oldguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:52 pm

You mean there could be benefits to having a Facebook account? :smt017
The addiction:

85 RZ350 Bought it new!
76 GT750 Project
73 H2 Project
75 GT185 Project
03 MG V11 LeMans
90 CB1 It runs
12 650GS Runner