Market Values in USA for RZ w/o Title

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

evan_calgary

Market Values in USA for RZ w/o Title

#1 Post by evan_calgary » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:45 pm

I admit I am hesitant to post this.

It is definitely subjective and definitely controversial but...

Where does the market seem to be in the USA for a non-titled, non-Cali nice RZ? Non-original but restored to period.

I am mostly interested in the expected discount for a lack of title. I realize getting a title outside Cali is not end of world but not having one certainly seems to depreciate bikes.

Hopefully we can stay somewhat towards the objective of answering the above question. "whatever someone is willing to pay" is not what I am looking for here.

Bikes may not be completely fungible and pricing is subjective but they are also a commodity with measurable substitutes. It should be possible to get somewhat close to a reasonable price estimate with only moderate variance expected.

Evans Ward
-----
-----

Re: Market Values in USA for RZ w/o Title

#2 Post by Evans Ward » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:27 pm

It's a non issue for the states that don't require a title to insure/ tag such as my home state based on age of the bike (pre 1986). Selling on the other hand will impede a sale in those states that do require a title. My guesstimate is that lack of a title could decrease value 20-25% here in the US. Nice non original bikes are often seen advertised for sale between $4000- 6500. Original RZs command higher asked prices. I'm not sure if this helps you Evan with the answers you are looking for but thought I'd reply.
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

addicted to relics

#3 Post by addicted to relics » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:43 pm

got a 1985 rz 350 rolling frame minus engine and electronics and title in Canada for 200$ needs complete rebuild I now have the title in my name. see my thread
I hope it helps

Darrell

#4 Post by Darrell » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:16 pm

I always find myself wondering why, exactly, a bike would have no title. I get that someone could lose the piece of paper, but a trip to the local DMV and a few bucks will rectify that problem. I always worry that a bike without title was stolen or built up from stolen parts. I know there can be exceptions, but untitled bikes are way too common to all be legitimate, I think.
89 Canadian Spec RD-350
2013 BMW R1200RT
2007 Harley XL1200C Sportster
2008 Ducati 1098R
2015 Gas Gas 300 Trials bike
1972 Turbo-Charged 240Z
Zastava Black Arrow .50 BMG

evan_calgary

#5 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 am

The question arises when looking at Canadian bikes.

There is no such this as a 'title' here in Alberta. You register the bike and as long as it does not come up as stolen/written off/lien and you have a bill of sale and insurance that is all you need. If it is out of province or not in the system then you get to have it mechanically inspected. You then get registration for the bike. It is in you name but it certainly does not make any claim back to the original sale in 1980-whatever.

I would be curious about what the 'title' document from the RZ frame you had was 'addicted to relics'. I am not aware of any such document unless we are talking registration.

'Evans Ward', that is helpful, thank you!

hondaror

#6 Post by hondaror » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 am

Just my $0.02, but I don't think the price would be vastly affected. You can put it on the track, still, hang on to it for investment, or obtain a title. It is not impossible. Demand used to be high, but these things are not flying out the door for $5000+ in decent shape. They are tough to sell for that. You need to find the right person as the buyer.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

AlexG

#7 Post by AlexG » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 am

I agree with the premise that these bikes are not investments. Smoke the place, ride, be happy, and count any money on the back end as a bonus for the next project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoker

#8 Post by Smoker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:39 pm

evan_calgary wrote:I admit I am hesitant to post this.

It is definitely subjective and definitely controversial but...
Not really sure what the controversy is

Unless you're asking about a stolen bike.

Not sure why else there would be a problem getting paperwork before selling the bike. :smt017

If a thief gets caught joy riding on a stolen bike the penalty isn't as severe as it would be if he tried to get it registered in his name. The authorities call that "converting stolen property"and it carries a greater penalty.

If there is any question, just part it out. More work, but you'll make a lot more money.
Last edited by Smoker on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nokturnal
-----
-----

#9 Post by nokturnal » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm

hes in canada. presumably he wants to sell one to the US. no US papers.
:smt017

evan_calgary

#10 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Controversial is due to all the threads that get bent sideways and backwards when asking about values. Similar to an oil one.

I have a good handle on market prices in both Canada and the USA for various grades of the RZs. There is most definitely a discount for a bike without a title and is what I am trying to hammer out.

Title is not a Canadian (at least not Alberta) concept. Thankfully they allow us to ride what we like within reason.

Smoker

#11 Post by Smoker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 pm

nokturnal wrote:hes in canada. presumably he wants to sell one to the US. no US papers.
I'm in Cali and I've bought 2 bikes from Canada. They didn't have US papers. But they have titles.

I thought Evan is saying there is no title. As far as I know, every new RZ was sold with a title.

In the US, if a bike doesn't have a title, just go to the DMV and get one. Unless the bike is stolen.

Are the rules different in Canada? Perhaps I don't understand the issue.

Smoker

#12 Post by Smoker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:08 pm

evan_calgary wrote:Title is not a Canadian (at least not Alberta) concept. Thankfully they allow us to ride what we like within reason.
My only question is, why can't you get a title, before selling the bike?

nokturnal
-----
-----

#13 Post by nokturnal » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:08 pm

We just have provincial (state) ownerships. They are difficult enough to transfer province to province. Is an canadian ownership equivalent to a title... maybe?

I have sold an RZ to the US myself, to an easier going state. It had an ownership, but I am not sure that was a factor.
:smt017

Smoker

#14 Post by Smoker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:34 pm

nokturnal wrote:We just have provincial (state) ownerships. They are difficult enough to transfer province to province. Is an canadian ownership equivalent to a title... maybe?
If the bike is not stolen, and has Canadian paperwork (but no official title), I don't understand the original question. I, and several other members in the US have bought bikes from Canada. The US buyer will have to go to the DMV to register the bike, with or without a title.

If the bike is legit, why would there be any discount on the price?

Is the question, "Do Canadian bikes need to be discounted to sell to the US because they don't have official titles?"

Are you wondering how much cash and time it takes to get the bike titled in the US, and reducing the price for this?

evan_calgary

#15 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi Smoker,

Yes, that is where I am headed with the question.

Sorry if I do not understand the process but I thought you either had a piece of paper that traced back to the original owner of the motorcycle, or you did not. If that piece of paper did not continue on then the title was 'lost'.

There is zero concern about theft but rather we have provincial registration which is not by any means a bearer 'title' document. Maybe I deal to much with contracts and legal speak that the 2 documents are not considered as different as they truly are from a legal sense?