Have you crashed an RZ/RD/TZ? Tell us about it.

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

hondaror

Have you crashed an RZ/RD/TZ? Tell us about it.

#1 Post by hondaror » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 am

My first crash on my LC, was a slow hairpin in the rain. Maybe 5 km/h. I was wearing jeans and a jean jacket. Slid on my back into the curb. No injury, bent clutch lever. Lucky.

2nd crash on the LC was on black ice, during a blizzard. 50 mph/80km. No injury, rolled off the Hwy, to avoid being run over. Wearing jeans and my Dainese jacket. Dent and hole in the side of the tank.

That was it for the LC, over 100,000 km in 9 seasons.

Crashed my TZ250K on the track in turn one at Shannonville in '86. An 85 mph corner doing 100 mph on lap two. Slid off the corner, leaned over, with cold tires. Motocrossed over the foot deep car ruts until I was pitched off the bike. The bike then did cartwheels while I did summer saults in a whipping motion, six of them. As I was pitched, my left foot went into the rear wheel above the swing arm. A spoke went through the sole of my racing boot and luckily my foot was out before the big chop. I had my two piece Dainese suit on. Bruised up, my foot was black and blue for three months, and I was on crutches for that time with soft tissue damage in the foot. So lucky again. The bike, broken water pump, and fairing needed repairs, about $600 in damage, not too bad.

Seized my TZ250E on the back straight of Mosport doing about 140 mph in '85, no crash. Heard the engine packing up and managed to get the clutch in, in time. Must have laid a patch of rubber off my slick for about fifty feet. Coasted 1/2 way around the track to the pits. Lady Luck was in my corner again.

That's it for me. Next?
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

T.RexRacing

Re: Have you crashed an RZ/RD/TZ? Tell us about it.

#2 Post by T.RexRacing » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 am

My first RZ was a few months old in early '84. I was doing a wheelie which went fine..........until I landed it. Lost the front wheel and WHAM right on my face. of course it was in front of a couple hundred people. Thankfully minimal damage just the bar end,brake lever.fairing and my fragile 25 year old ego. Last wheelie I ever did on request. Never again. If you happen to be around when I wheelie fine but don't even ask to see one. A couple of old friends still remind me of that one. That's it though never really trashed one.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

oldestschool

#3 Post by oldestschool » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Of a number of bad decisions that led to crashes the worst two were....

1.Hitting a bump on my RD400 1980 at night which caused flicker of my headlight,which burnt a fuse.No lights at 75mph in a wide corner.Broken collarbone.

2.Hitting sand in a corner on another RD400 around 50mph,highsided and rolled.My helmet went thru a picket fence.Concussion and sprains.

Over the years riding year round in West Texas,most of my toes and fingers got sprained or broke.Added to the fights,mountain climbing,car wrecks and other silliness and I live on naproxen,massages and a chiropractor.Would not change a single second.Also ride much more conservatively.

T.RexRacing

#4 Post by T.RexRacing » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Ahhhh.........naproxen. Industrial strength Aleve.
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Questo vecchio rz

#5 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:54 am

More low sides than I care to admit in various machines, But if I stick to RZs it's pretty mild.... :smt003

1st Trying to show off for some girls and riding wheelies ...I was up through 2nd ready for 3rd! Thought I was Killin it...lol then...looped it. Ruined a set of brand new 501s...lost skin on my knee,did not impress the girls..instead a few laughs a little sympathy and did not get laid. :smt038

2nd Trying to beat a girl I liked, father to her house and pick her up before he got there as she was not allowed on a bike, her dad was a 6'7 300 lb Indian..who did not particularly like me a 18 year old long haired blonde white boy..well I had passed him in traffic..and knew I had to double time it to get to her house before he did...but braked too hard before a red light, caught the oil slick and down I went sliding into the intersection...lol?

3.) The Canyon..what can you say the harder you try...your eventually going down, no matter how good you think you are..the old saying holds true...if you haven't crashed...your not trying hard enough...lol :smt005 Ran off road in turns twice on Glendora Mtn Road (a once "hidden" So. Cal classic road) once braked too late then down in the dirt luckily there was run off in that turn, the 2nd time I went real wide chasing a GPZ1100 with slicks...braked too late & all wrong, went wide & and ran along the guard rail for 15'' at I'd guess 15-20 MPH, went over...but was okay :smt023 .

Like most if us came close many...many..other times, a couple notables

Hit a El Camino on my customized red 78 Honda Hawk..looked just like the (terminator) bike.. It was raining hard and the cars in front of me were all panic stopping so...with rear brake locked up & sliding , I pitched to the left a little, but just a lil too much my left muffler caught his bumper by 2" ..down I went :smt003 I did about 4-5 spins, layed my knee open a lil..but okay.Thst was my 1st large bike.

At Willow Springs raceway, On my FZR1000 I had a bike pass me where I did not expect it at turn 5 before the "kink", as a result I screwed up my line(badly) for turn 6, and when I crested the rise while flat out shifting into 3rd I rode off straight into the desert at maybye 120 mph... somehow in the soft dirt and terrain I managed to not go down..

Each and every accident I had...I had a helmet on..and each helmet had very deep chips or scrapes or small chunks in them...some wrecks as little as 10 mph...but if not for a helmet any of them might have put me in the hospital...or possibly the mourge.

Now...no BS trying to relive my youth, nothing to prove, been there done that...now it's all just for fun and power wheelies ...no road race antics on the road.

Track days are the next best thing since chocolate milk :smt023
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500