Public Reactions riding the 2 stroke?

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

whyzee79

Re: Public Reactions riding the 2 stroke?

#16 Post by whyzee79 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Kids like it when I'm passing their parents mini van. Always get the thumbs up.

gammaguy21

#17 Post by gammaguy21 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:02 pm

I've had tractors stop in front of the house, police track me down (apparently, the officer had an rz and followed the sound) and people offer to buy my bike on the spot.

I have a few days when the wife and kids go visit the mother-in-law and I pull the ysr out to give it a good run while the kids are out of town. Crazy when a parking lot with brand new Pinagales, new R1s and custom bikes that have a ton of money invested and the beat up ysr manages to pull the biggest crowd.

Crazy Bro-love right here

RuZty
-----
-----

#18 Post by RuZty » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:29 pm

gammaguy21 wrote: Crazy when a parking lot with brand new Pinagales, new R1s and custom bikes that have a ton of money invested and the beat up ysr manages to pull the biggest crowd.
That's it right there. I love parking near a bunch of shiny new bikes and more people come to see the RZ than any of them.

R5rocket

#19 Post by R5rocket » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:08 am

I own a 1970 r5 350 owned since 1981 - get many compliments and wow nice bike - last one was this fellow - I'm pretty sure he was a homeless guy - but ran up after I parked and said wow I use to own one back in the day - very excited to see part of his past - I hope it stirred something up for him
Inside :)

Zedixe13
-----
-----

#20 Post by Zedixe13 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:46 am

Maybe 2 or 3 times in 10 years for my LC , once for my current RZ350 this year . Small bikes doesn't attract attention very much .

rzjunkie

#21 Post by rzjunkie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Every time I leave the driveway I get attention on the bike. Can't seem to get 5 minutes or so in the city. People taking pictures of it. Drooling over it and so on. Love it....
If you're an anti-social kind of guy these are not the bikes for you.

J
| 88 RZ350 | JL Pipes | Drilled and Gutted Airbox | VForce4 Reeds | 30 Pilot | 270 Main | AS 2 Turns | NC 2 From Top | R6 Mirrors | R6 Front Calipers | Wicked Fork Brace | Banshee Boost Bottle |

RuZty
-----
-----

#22 Post by RuZty » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:33 pm

rzjunkie wrote: If you're an anti-social kind of guy these are not the bikes for you.
I'm only anti-social (in the eyes of society) when I'm riding the thing, can't help it.

evansje1

#23 Post by evansje1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:08 am

I'm an old gray haired fart and when I pulled into our local motorcycle shop to visit an old school mechanic friend, there was a cute young girl there on a sport bike. I put the side stand down and pulled my helmet off. She watched me for a few seconds, walked over, and said "don't take this this the wrong way but I was not expecting a guy like you to be riding a motorcycle like that". She didn't have a clue what the RZ was but knew it must be special. I wanted to take her home but I knew the wife would be po'd if she had to fix dinner for three!
1973 RD350
2014 Suzuki DT1000
1979 RD400F Daytona Special
1984 RZ350

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#24 Post by LC Cnd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Just doing a break-in on my RD locally in town yesterday - 1st time riding since 1985 and 1st time out on this bike. A bit daunting actually but the skills came back surprisingly. Down shifted to a stop sign and a 20ish male pedestrian gave a look and enthusiatic thumbs up. Gave a nod back. Never ever had that happen in '85. Hmm.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#25 Post by two-stroke-brit » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm

most of the neighbors on my street hold there nose and wave there hands furiously when i ride my LC .
i just smile and give them the finger in my mind.
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

wolfman

#26 Post by wolfman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:04 am

two-stroke-brit wrote:most of the neighbors on my street hold there nose and wave there hands furiously when i ride my LC .
i just smile and give them the finger in my mind.
This was the idea behind this motorcycle with Yamaha knowing it was the end for thier beloved road going 2stroke in the US. It is a true hooligan cult bike for sure.
The rest of the world kept getting them till '92 right ?

Both visually and aurally moving or stunning. . . "Kando" my friends.

Had a beemer guy once tell me, "I thought they were all gone by now" (I did blow past him catching the light !)
A lot of thumbs up, and, "do a wheelie" on my warm up route from young school kids
I laugh and thumbs up back.
Had people of various ages know what it was, some all too well.
Makes me nervous sometimes parking it.
Generally though very positive from everyone.
:smt006
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

Forzfed

#27 Post by Forzfed » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:28 pm

Excellent stories, guys! Keep them coming. :smt023
wolfman wrote:
This was the idea behind this motorcycle with Yamaha knowing it was the end for thier beloved road going 2stroke in the US. It is a true hooligan cult bike for sure.
They made them till 95 in Brazil. Till '90 here in Canada but sold them till '92. Would have been nice if they redesigned and sold them till 2000. :(
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

Questo vecchio rz

#28 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Forzfed wrote:Excellent stories, guys! Keep them coming. :smt023
wolfman wrote:
They made them till 95 in Brazil. Till '90 here in Canada but sold them till '92. Would have been nice if they redesigned and sold them till 2000. :(
Thats what was so disappointing about the 2 strokes vanishing here. We can only imagine what RZs would have become if for only they carried on for 5 more years.
We likley would have had perfect lil YZR replicas here. No need for building hybrids we would have had 400 & 500cc possibly bigger race replicas w 5,5" rims, deltaboxed frames etc..The radials and frame evolution started in 89...just 5 more dammned years :-( :-(
You can cry just thinking about it.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

wolfman

#29 Post by wolfman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:56 pm

It would be what it really was meant to be, a true race bike for the street.
Our, "little" RZ's carry quite a few firsts for road going two strokes and road bikes in general.
First perimeter frame on a production motorcycle.
First powervalve engine on a production motorcycle.
Just off the top of my head.

I almost forgot this one . . .
A California highway patrol bike pulled me over, (first time for me on a street bike) going a couple of mph over. He asked me for license and reg and when I spoke he leaned in for a sniff and I laughed.
He smiled and said where's the papers, I said under the seat and it's a pain in the ass.
His demeanor changed and we started talking. He said those words we love to hear, " three fifty ? That's kinda small ! My usual response is, "yeah itsa fucking moped, now keep up bitch!"
But I couldn't use that so I asked the bike cop, like a two stroke smart ass, aka hooligan, "ya know much about bikes do ya ?" ... He let me go with a warning after 30 minutes.

I'm thankful that so many were made. It makes parts much less expensive than say a krs1, nsr or rgv.
Let's hope it stays that way for a while.

P.s. I've only seen one other RZ on the street in person.
Lotsa RD's though.
84 RZ350 Spec II boost ports shaved head
Y boot 29mm PWKs billet manifold TDR Reeds Spec II pipes
Fox twin clicker JMC Braced swing arm
Tarozzi fork brace
Brembo 19 RCS Master ss lines blue spots EBC Vees
Spec 2 Full Fairing factory Solo Cowl

TCRZ88

#30 Post by TCRZ88 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Keep hoping to see more. I know they are out there. I know of at least 1 other in Cambridge, 1 in Brantford, and 1 in Water down. All between 15 minutes and a half an hour from me.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Live long, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!