RZs racing at Riverside Circa 1986

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

This old RZ

RZs racing at Riverside Circa 1986

#1 Post by This old RZ » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:23 pm

LOTS & LOTS of RZs...these were the days!! Riverside was a old racetrack about 50 miles outside of Los Angeles, You would never recognize it now, its a giant shopping mall. Just look at all the RZs there everywhere, Willow Springs was the same way, as most of the racetracks across the United States I presume.
Everyone is smiling,sunny California skies, even the announcer is talking about Kenny Roberts and Eddie Lawson having the track records...THATS HOW OLD THIS IS!

The 80s frankly were GOOD TIMES FOR ALL! Unfortunately..I think were paying our dues now, for a totally easy, incredibly enjoyable sustainable 80s and 90s :smt011 :smt005

Found this on You Tube with hardly any views...time to watch it and enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4F2cXnu2c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

evansje1

Re: RZs racing at Riverside Circa 1986

#2 Post by evansje1 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:53 pm

That video is JayDav's on the kaw2stroke board. We get together at Deals Gap and he shows us the proper way to ride our RZ's. :smt001
1973 RD350
2014 Suzuki DT1000
1979 RD400F Daytona Special
1984 RZ350

Evans Ward
-----
-----

#3 Post by Evans Ward » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:35 pm

evansje1 wrote:That video is JayDav's on the kaw2stroke board. We get together at Deals Gap and he shows us the proper way to ride our RZ's. :smt001
Yep- Jay is one of the good guys! :smt023 He no longer has an RZ but thrashes around an H2 and an ELR 1000. I've learned alot from listening to him and riding with him. :smt001 It is fun to listen to him talk about being sponsored back in the day to race. I believe he may have also raced in the RZ Cup?
84 RZ350-Toomeys,SCR milled head, stk 26 carbs,300 M, 35 P, stock regrooved needles AS 2.5 turns out,stk air box,Banshee reeds Zeel non-progr CDI,TSRL Program YPVS,alum rad,R6 shock,GV emulators w/RT springs,fork brace,Shindy steering damper.

Smoker

#4 Post by Smoker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Holy shit! Riverside International Raceway.

Man, that brings back so many memories. Never made it there with my RZ. I think I was racing there in earlier years. What a great bunch of drivers and cars I met back in the day.

I used to drive in at the crack of dawn - a couple of hours from Hollywood - in my only car. Race all day, and go home with a trophy on my passenger seat. Made that run several times. Had that gutted Alfa with plexiglass windows for about 20 years. Outran more cops on Mulholland Dr. than I care to remember. Fuckin' A - those were the days.

Thanks for posting that! :smt006

This old RZ

#5 Post by This old RZ » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 am

Smoker!
Mulholland..fun road. I lived 2 min from it from 1991- 2005 , I lived up Vineland Ave S. of Ventura Blvd.
My neighbors had lived there for years, since thelate 50s and talking to him and his sons, they used to ride the hell out of it also dad on Triumps and Nortons, and the Son had a set of wicked built up original Mini coopers, said he was always ditching the cops, as he knew all the short cuts...lol The dad was a old retired Hollywood grip, and in his early 80s...and boy! did his face light up when talking about his escapades on the mountain..lol
Its SO CROWDED now, but I used to hustle virtually everything I ever drove ,down that road most days of the week..made driving to and from the city a lot more fun..as you know. I wish I lived out there in the 80s,it would have been even better then. It was a magical city,I don't care what anyone says..theres no place like L.A and the surrounding region. I really wish I still lived there!

I watched Kevin Schwantz race a Yoshimura GSXR @ riverside,and I think Doug Polen as well...good times
HAPPY 30th YAMAHA YVPS 350 1983-2013. DONT OVER THINK IT , JUST BUILD IT AND BE JUST AS FAST AND RELIABLE

Smoker

#6 Post by Smoker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 am

Small world, bro! I grew up near Fairfax and Sunset.

I got exposed to racing Mulholland long before I could drive. When I was 15 I hooked up with a rich girl from Woodland Hills. Her dentist father was gone all summer and I got to drive his brand new Vette for 3 months. That was my first Mulholland car. Can't believe I never got busted, and that the transmission survived at least 100 neutral drops!

Got the Alfa when I was 17 and drove and raced Mulholland almost daily for about 20 years. Of course I rode the RZ up there countless times. Got a new S2000 in 2002 and drove it on Mulholland to and from work in WLA 5 days a week until I moved to Glendale in '05.

Mulholland has been my lifelong playground, and I'm very fortunate and thankful for that.