rdstars nearly finished.....99.9% there...

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

rdstars

rdstars nearly finished.....99.9% there...

#1 Post by rdstars » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I've been promising myself a rebuild for my rough roller Hybrid for a number of year's so one late afternoon a few months ago I pulled it completely apart. I knew it had a few issues that showed up on track at Llandow last September. my man cave is in a complete mess and nothing has been cleaned for the quick photos.

Basic spec is as follows:

RD350 F2

Frame braced all around the bottom cross member around the shock links and also from swingarm point right up to the head stock incorporating the upper section of the frame, also to this a fair few of the stock rubbish welds have been beefed up a bit. GSXR750 K model rearsets. Expansion bottle moved to where the oil tank used to be located.

Rear end is Honda VFR400 NC30, powder coated bright silver with all the factory castings removed, custom spacers and obvious mods to the frame to fit. Wavy disc and braided line from Wezmoto.

Front end is ZXR400 H forks, yokes and clip'onns, KR1s wheel, CBR954 Calipers, ZZR600 Discs, CBR600 02 Master Cylinder and clutch leaver, shorty leavers, Vapor dash, RD headlight replica, original switchgear, Braided lines from Wezmoto. Obviously custom front axle and spacers for it all to fit together.

Engine is RD350, 31k carbs, Martin77 Port/Clean up job ( very nice port work from Martin and would recumend him, top guy ) single layer head gasket 0.85mm squish, stock crank, TZR Reed block modded centre stopped and 3mm reed spacer, foam filters, stock ignition for now ( probably invest in Zeal ) Modded Powervalve controller so I can set my open and close times, TSA design pipes to my spec built by me ( Kenny sure knows pipes ) EBC HD Clutch Springs, RWHP I dont care as I just want it running nice but estimate mid 60. RD350LC flywheel side cover, Clutch window mod 10mm Lexan. Oil pump ditched.

Stainless new nuts and bolts used where I can but also used allot of older nuts and bolts to give it a usable look / daily rider if that makes any seance ( not a show bike ) ( costs to much money ) All the Powder Coating was done by RPA Bristol Powder Coating. Paint I was going to do myself but for this one I just could not take a chance and bottled it, it is in the hands of someone else who I am hoping and praying does a real good job, going to be Black with N2 decals, I have given him free rein on straight or metalic and even pearl Black so not sure how it will be, he did have in mind Subaru Black Metalic Pearl but not sure if he can get his hands on it.

Well all that may have bored you all so I wont beat around the bush any longer and just post a few photos over the various stages........It's not perfict but it all works so far and most done by me as I don't see the point in building something if your not doing the work yourself, just buy one done if that's the case.

How she was as a rough roller:

Got my frame all welded up:

Re'built and painted the motor all new seals etc:

Some Powder coated bits:

Frame Powder coated:

A bit feather on:

Next update will be running with body work on ( Hopefully )

Cheers

rdstars

cbirk
-----
-----

#2 Post by cbirk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm

NICE PROJECT MAN!! Sure is bit of eye candy you have there. Keep up the good work. :smt006
1982 CB750f SS
2005 CRF50
2006 YZ 144

silverstrom

#3 Post by silverstrom » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Great work. Looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing more.

xkabooomx

#4 Post by xkabooomx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm

:smt007 Lookin really good. Wow that thing looks CLEAN! Great job on the conversion. Keep the pictures comming. I'm sure you bore the Mrs's with all of the details, but we love it! :smt006
85 KR RZ350 ported W/Toomey pipes VM30's Air screw one 1/2 turn out/Main jet 240/Needle 2nd clip from bottom/6F5 jet Needle/159-P6 Needle Jet/40 pilot jet/2.5 Throttle Valve/2.0 Air jet

petros67

#5 Post by petros67 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

:smt007 :smt007 Nice.....

I changed the radiator tank to NOS new ,
I know it does not show with the tank on but I did not like the feeling
so I ordered new rad tank & oil tank fm Yamaha dealer
which came out a lot cheaper then ebay :smt011 .....

Petros

nikfubar

#6 Post by nikfubar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Looking good :smt004 does your LC side case clash with your new bracing, mine did & I had to modify it after it had been powder coated :smt013

Running on 3

rdstars

#7 Post by rdstars » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:21 pm

nikfubar wrote:Looking good :smt004 does your LC side case clash with your new bracing, mine did & I had to modify it after it had been powder coated :smt013
I modded mine before I sent it off, just so happens I remembered your post on it :smt003

One slight problem I did have today is my chain was slightly catching the cover so had to do a few little mods but all good.

I should have done this rebuild years ago when I had time but had no money then, now I got a few buttons spare I got no time,,,,,,,

Should be finished almost by the end of the month, waiting on paint as I bottled it for this build and want it better than I can do.

kenny

#8 Post by kenny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Nice job Kelvin...... when can I borrow it lol

rdstars

#9 Post by rdstars » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:04 pm

kenny wrote:Nice job Kelvin...... when can I borrow it lol
Have it end of next month if you like, try some of your pipes with Martins port work :smt002 You know me I'll borrow it out to anyone, what is the worst that could happen! You remember how much of a rough roller she was, glad to get it all sorted out and about time too.

Rz421rr

#10 Post by Rz421rr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:09 pm

My god. Looks like we got another member on the RZ allstar team.

Very nice work.
2-stroke for life!!!

L.B

#11 Post by L.B » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 am

Top notch bike there!Always wanted to do a single sided swinger....
Did you bother to preheat the frame b4 welding & what did you use?Mig or tig.
Look forward to updates!!!

rdstars

#12 Post by rdstars » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:40 am

Combination of both Mig and Tig depending on how awkward certain part were, for all the recent welding I put it in my guy's hands and for anything structural he tends to pre'heat as other wise if you don't then it can lead to cracking but most of this is additional bracing so not the main structure of the frame. If I was in any way worried I have another guy who does examinations for welds who could check it out, but my guys work is far better than mine and mine is good enough.

seahorse
-----
-----

#13 Post by seahorse » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Simply a credit to your hard work. realy nice job, cant wait to see the finished project. The single swinger GP pipe combo is a perfect match IMO, and I think those wheels look the ducks nuts. Is the single swinger width at the pivot point that much different, Is the General concensus, shave the frame or the swinger. Asking just incase I happen upon a single swinger Honda wreck, And is there a preference/easiest model conversion, EG RC45/RC30/Hawk ect.

Very Nice Work. I would have that bike in my Garage any day of the week, hopefully parked right next to Nickfubars.
81 RD 250 LC Hybrid .Widened frame with Aprilia RS250 Back end & Front end, strokd RZ 421, Kennys TSA's, 31KVM26SS Carbs M-360 P-25 ALBA Ndl Pos 3, Air 1.3/4
81Rd350lc resto 2016
81 Rd250lc resto 2017
1999 ZRX 1100

rdstars

#14 Post by rdstars » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 am

Cheers seahorse, if it was me I would not do another single sided again, it is easy enough to do but then there is so much more that does not fit and need custom building. If I was ever to do another Hybrid it would be something like an F2 looking completely stock but with a modern front and rear, there was an F1 done on here recently with a ZXR400 front and rear and looked almost stock, very nice.

rdstars

#15 Post by rdstars » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Ops Sorry this update is not finished and running but just picked up my panels and got work in the way of finishing it off, just need two or three days to get there.

I am pleased with the paint, that is about 99% there and the reflection is great with no orange peal effect that you see on so many new paint jobs. The decals well I'll give them a 98% as there is slight mistakes ( I can cover it up with a small tank pad ). BUT it was a someone who deals with cars, he told me NO! to fitting decals BUT stubborn me insisted that him fitting them would be a better job than I could do. Done in 2k straight black with decals also covered in 2k clear.

Some photos, I've done nothing to make them look nice but some natural light would have done the trick but to late now.