Honda Hawk GTZ 350 Hybrid (Hawkgt 650 RZ Engine)

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

kpke
-----
-----

#31 Post by kpke » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am

Brianut wrote:original bike was 1988-1991 Honda hawk GT650 in the states.
Thanks for that. I put this on my long list of stuff to watch for.

slinger
-----
-----

#32 Post by slinger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Surprising what you can do with some tin snips and a welder lol

cbirk
-----
-----

#33 Post by cbirk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Oh my gawd those pipes are SIIIICK!! The bike was already awesome but now it's awesome x's 2! Can't wait to see this beauty complete.
1982 CB750f SS
2005 CRF50
2006 YZ 144

Brianut

#34 Post by Brianut » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:08 pm

HOLY Crap Glyn!!

The pics in the email you sent I couldn't load bigger than a stamp but WOW I am giggly like a school girl.
Those are amazing.

I have to step up the quality of my work to match your now.

this thing has come to a whole new level with your touch.

I luv em :smt007

2moto

#35 Post by 2moto » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:48 pm

First rate craftsmanship there for sure. Hats off! Out of curiosity, how many hours did the fabrication take?

slinger
-----
-----

#36 Post by slinger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:00 pm

2moto wrote:First rate craftsmanship there for sure. Hats off! Out of curiosity, how many hours did the fabrication take?
Thanks

To many hours, turned into a labour of love in the end lol.

slinger
-----
-----

#37 Post by slinger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Brianut wrote:HOLY Crap Glyn!!

The pics in the email you sent I couldn't load bigger than a stamp but WOW I am giggly like a school girl.
Those are amazing.

I have to step up the quality of my work to match your now.

this thing has come to a whole new level with your touch.

I luv em :smt007
Glad you like them Brian, thats the main thing :smt002

RuZty
-----
-----

#38 Post by RuZty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Surprising what YOU can do with tin snips and a welder. I can draw blood and burn myself. Top shelf work there, I think we need video of that when it gets running.

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#39 Post by aaronmvrider » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 pm

very tasty....
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

This old RZ

#40 Post by This old RZ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 pm

Looking real dammned good. And for sure its "one of a kind"
I'm happy to see someone able to get a custom set of pipes made, this is a pretty neat forum we all have here :smt002

What material,mild? and I'm assuming and guessing due to the length of the rear section,perhaps no need for a end can? As is it will probably sound as awesome as it looks!

Thats really nice work Slinger,That makes a project really come alive for the client! Everyone will want to go out and buy a Honda Hawk/BROS now. Ive only ever heard/viewed of two Hawk/RZ conversions before one stock looking the other a" semi" RC30 replica This one will really stand out thanks to the exhaust work...metal sculpture is pretty cool

vespaman1

#41 Post by vespaman1 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Loving the updates. I have a friend who has a Hawk and it always felt like a pretty heavy bike to me - maybe around 400 lbs wet.

What do you reckon it'll be when finished and now that the heavy original motor is out of there?

Brianut

#42 Post by Brianut » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:13 am

vespaman1 wrote:Loving the updates. I have a friend who has a Hawk and it always felt like a pretty heavy bike to me - maybe around 400 lbs wet.

What do you reckon it'll be when finished and now that the heavy original motor is out of there?
they run right at about 420 ready to ride, very chunky.

there are guys running hawk motors with batteries and starters running at 320.
They do have alot of really expensive light part on them though.
I would like to see 300 and think it is obtainable with out going crazy on exotix materials.
The stock footpegs as a pair came in at just over a pound.
Crazy. there was a lot of steel on a stock hawk. I am trying to slim it down as much as possible.

I hope to at some point down the road have the money to ditch the stock rear wheel and do the Ducati wheel conversion and pony up for a forged magnesium. the front stock CBR 600 wheel is at least 2-3 lbs lighter than the old front but it could lose some weight too.
There is the possibility of things like losing a rotor and caliper up front too, the stock hawk only had one and it wasnt great but with good hardware and even less weight I think for the street it would be adequate.

Time and money will tell.

Just waiting for the parts to arrive now and start reassembly to see where I need to finish off the details

This old RZ

#43 Post by This old RZ » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Brian, did you ever get a chance to contact Mike Perry? I beleive hes the guy who had the rear wheel conversion. Might have been a VFR? conversion? with his RC30 replica /hawk. I had some corespondence from him regarding a similar idea I was working on at the time. I think he is the same guy with the trick y/b RZ350 and 500, you can do a search of his name and bike,pretty sweet. But I did not have the Hawk images..he might be of assistance to you as far as the conversion.Your right the mag r wheel would be quite nice,its just trying to fitting a 5-6" rim,without offset issues etc..
If your looking at lightweight wheels dont discount carbon,keep a eye out for USED versions a friend has has good luck with 2 sets so far for his Gamma and CBR1000RR at virtually 1/2 price through various racing websites. He bought them for about $1500 a set! I understand even used there expensive..still out of my "practical" budget..but I'll be the first to admit..that they made a true beleiver out of me..the weight savings and handling were truly incredible on his CBR.
You also might have good idea with a single rotor on the front,with a proper setup you should be perfectlly good on the street under anything but the most irresponsible/epic of rides. Even on a track day..Id say a good set up would be not out of the question.
Your bike is going to be so different and fun,a real head turner and one of a kind :smt023

Brianut

#44 Post by Brianut » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 pm

I never did take the time to try and contact Mike.
There are pretty detailed how to's over on the hawk forums of how to do a VFR or Ducati wheel swap.
My plan is to run the stock rear for now and keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a wheel or set of wheels. I would hate to do a VFR conversion then have a good deal on a Duc wheel pop up or vice versa ya know.

The best news of the week, for me anyhow is that a large box is in transit to my house from NS Canada, can't tell you how excited I am to get that box. It should be very interesting to see it all kinda put together.

I think Carbon wheels would just be an icing on the cake deal but maybe in another year when I get some recovery from paying for the initial build I can get some funding for something wild like that.

nikfubar

#45 Post by nikfubar » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:05 pm

This is gonna be an awsome hybrid :smt004 as long as you can get some decent wheels :smt003

Running on 3