TZR400 track project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

silverstrom

#46 Post by silverstrom » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm

ruka wrote:@kenny: hilsen fra koebenhavn

I´m keen on getting to the bottom of this, to prevent it happening again.
Sorry to hear about your troubles ruka. Hopefull it's not as bad as it sounds.

I was in your city back in 1992. Beautiful place. Hope to go back one day.

petros67

#47 Post by petros67 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 am

My sympathy too..... Ruka.
Hope you solve your issue quicker then me.....
My repaired cylinders are still at airport customs :smt013
Parts landed fm 10/Jun .... and I'm still waiting , and my damage occur at mid April ....

Petros

ruka

#48 Post by ruka » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Sorry to hear that Petros.
Customs can be a pain. Tell me about it... I´ve been there.

... but, this time, I don´t think I´ll be needing new parts for my rebuild.

The cylinders are rather OK imo. I´ll clean the small aluminium stains with salt acid, and hone lightly.

I haven´t had the barrels out yet, so I haven´t looked at the pistons, but judging by the relatively small amount of alu. stains in the cylinder, I´m hoping they are reusable.

The rings have for sure taken a powding, they will be changed.

Both cylinders are showing very much the same amount of scuffing, and both plugs were reading exactly the same right after the seize... so I wonder if actually both pots seized at the same time?

Piston crowns are healthy, as well as head, and the O-rings in the head show no sign of weakness what so ever.

And the thing that had me puzzled the most... why the machine was running rotten.
Both pots were misfiring, and the machine would just no rev over 6k, and both cyl. had compression.
The explanation was quite logic... it just didn´t seam possible at the time...

Judging that the pistons still are at TDC one 90* after the other, wich I presume is a sign that the crank still is phased...
I guess my little fly wheel will have to be locked in place in a more sturdy manner.

Red line is cyl1 @ TDC now. Green line is where TDC should be.
The fly wheel spined almost one all round when the engine seized.
I´m quite admired the machine could start at all...

Too bad the bike had problems.
I could have had a lot of fun... No vid from B (slower) series, where according to my times at this track last time, I would have been.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp4Aj0toC64

ruka

#49 Post by ruka » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:46 pm

So... after a long brake, I have resumed work on this bike...
I´ve had it for sale in both Holland and Germany. Lots of interess on the bike, but in the end, I decided to keep it.

The engine had to be opened, so engine mechanics wise... I started from scratch again
The 90* TSS crank was sent to Roger to be rephased to 180*, wich did an absolutly wonderfull job.
All new gearbox bearings from TSS (lets see how that one goes...)
The squish was also a bit on the fat side 1.1mm, so I changed the gaskets from 2X 0.5mm to 2X0.35mm

For this season, engine mounts will be reinforced with the addition on the thrust supporters under the engine.
Planning on installing a knock sensor... and then hopefully 1/2 day at the dyno before taking to track again.
And then... massive plans for upgrades during winther... but thats another story...

In the end, I just couldn´t sell it... it looks great :smt003
By r13m at 2011-06-13

Ricino

#50 Post by Ricino » Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Wow!! Cheers! I had no idea about this thread, even after using the search engine.

That bike looks awesome, you will be happier season after season, glad you didn't sell it. I've sent you a PM with the measurements you asked for.
Yamaha SZR 660 '96(4SU) ---> in the process to YPVS hybrid!

Paul8899

#51 Post by Paul8899 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Fantastic looking bike , in fact it looks that good I bought this one for when I've finished my Mito off :)

I'll be asking you a few questions when I get round to starting work on it

JungleJustice

#52 Post by JungleJustice » Sun May 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi!

Just a question here for both ruka and Paul8899; what drove your respective decisions of the 4DL frames over say a 3MA frame for your projects...?

RuZty
-----
-----

#53 Post by RuZty » Mon May 07, 2012 6:53 am

I think the only real difference between the two is the extensions on the frame spars for the motor mounts. They go down further on the 3MA and might interfere with proper engine positioning without being shortened/removed. On the 4DL they are shorter and appear to offer a good mounting point for the cradle. Slinger sent me some dimensions of his 4DL frame that confirmed this. He has done at least a couple of these so he would be a good resource.

ruka

#54 Post by ruka » Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Well, for me it was more a "copy cat" matter.
The drive to build it (in my case) was slingers bike.
Slinger posted a lot of interesting data about why the 4DL frame was the one to go for, and to me it seemed absolutly logical.

Again, in my case, I got a lot of the necessary hardware from slinger while he still was living in europe. I also got the pipes from him.
Engine mounting kit is sweet, and the motor position looks really good.

I don´t remember the exact weight distribution on my bike. I´ll post it when I find it, but the numbers looked good.

Plus, these frames look really good :smt003 , and chassi setup can go to very, very acceptable numbers if you twich a bit here and there...

slinger
-----
-----

#55 Post by slinger » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm

When I did the 4DL it was a complete fluke to be honest. After finishing a 3xv conversion and struggling to stop it, I needed something else. I did some work for a guy and in payment he gave me a 4DL frame.

Once I measured it and with a 3xv swinging arm it was just perfect for the RZ lump to be slung in there.

Plus the 2006 TZ fairing fits really quite nicely :smt003 .

I'm feel quite honoured that people are inspired by some of my builds.

Glyn

RuZty
-----
-----

#56 Post by RuZty » Wed May 09, 2012 5:59 am

ruka wrote: Again, in my case, I got a lot of the necessary hardware from slinger while he still was living in europe. I also got the pipes from him.
Do you sell a kit for this Glyn, or was it a one off you put together for ruka?

slinger
-----
-----

#57 Post by slinger » Wed May 09, 2012 8:14 am

RuZty wrote:
ruka wrote: Again, in my case, I got a lot of the necessary hardware from slinger while he still was living in europe. I also got the pipes from him.
Do you sell a kit for this Glyn, or was it a one off you put together for ruka?
I did make a kit, but since I sold the bike I no longer have a frame to template it off.
I didn't think I'd make any over here so didn't make a jig to make more, what a dumb ass EH!!!

ruka

#58 Post by ruka » Wed May 09, 2012 3:20 pm

You have reason to be proud. My opinion your bike holds the record in what regards rd350 engined specials.
I still remember first time I saw your first 4HW(???) framed.
What a chock... that gave rd350 specials a hole new meaning.
Last edited by ruka on Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul8899

#59 Post by Paul8899 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 pm

My reasons are the same as Ruka's , I saw a picture of his bike and thought I'd have a go at making one of those.

I didn't realise that Glyn made one as well, thats another person to ask stupid questions when I get round to making it :)

Just giving my frame a quick look over I noticed that the quality of the frame is a lot higher than it is on the Mito , too late to change it over now so I'll have to have both now :)

I've started collecting parts for the Tzr already , just need a rear wheel and I'll have all the parts for a rolling chassis !

I'll post some pictures up when I get all the bits in the shed ;)

Got a question about the engine mounts, how have you mounted the tie bars that go under the engine ?

etienne24II

#60 Post by etienne24II » Wed May 30, 2012 9:12 am

Hi,
I used 1WT (1987) mounts

8mm 2017 alloy :smt002