another rz/fz/fzr

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

South_Oz
-----
-----

Re: another rz/fz/fzr

#91 Post by South_Oz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:41 pm

"Do you mean put something like a fender washer underneath the screw head to prevent the rod and from sliding all the way out (in the event it becomes 2 pieces rather than 1)? :smt017 "

Yep thats it, Just in case. Can you get rubber covers for the joints? If the looks with the washer are not to your liking.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sealing-Boot ... SwzvlW8qcQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very nice build BTW.

Dave
RZ 250 85 (Waiting)
RZ 250 85 (Parts)
RGV VJ21 250, Australian Speed Record Holder, MPS/G 250, 140.5 MPH
BMW R1100S 99 (Its Red)
BMW R1200GS (Its BIG)

http://www.dlra.org.au/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kpke
-----
-----

#92 Post by kpke » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:49 pm

OK. One more try on the intake.

I bought HYLOMAR mostly because the beautiful blue color matches my blue rad hoses.

Installed the what ever they are reeds with the blue thing on them, did not use the 1/4 inch spacers, used a metal gasket between the cylinder and the reed (I had 2), used paper gaskets between the reed and the carb rubbers.

I will let it cure up over night and pressure test tomorrow.

I hope this seals up this time :smt045

kpke
-----
-----

#93 Post by kpke » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:51 am

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt010 :smt010 :smt010 :smt010

Well, this is still a leaker. Extremely slow, but it still leaks.

So now I have removed the spacers (2 less gaskets), changed out the reeds, and used different sealant.

A while back I bought a stack of 20 or 30 paper gaskets from a supplier on eBay. I am beginning to question these gaskets. Maybe it is some sort of porous material? Where I used metal gaskets between the reed and cylinder - no leak. Where I used paper gaskets between the rubber and the reed there is a miniscule leak on both sides. When I had the V force reeds and spacers on there it was leaking everywhere I had used the paper gaskets.

It still doesn't make sense to me that air could escape in this area having put sealant on both sides and bolting this stuff together. I have subsequently tightened the screws more and this helped a little bit, however it will still make tiny little soap bubbles.

Interesting that the manual shows only a gasket between the reed and cylinder.

I suppose it is possible that these rubbers are aftermarket also. I need to compare them to some other known stock parts.

Next move?

Maybe remove the paper gasket and smear some Hylomar between the rubber and reed and reassemble with no gasket here.

Order more Yamaha metal gaskets???

Does anyone know if you order these gaskets from Yamaha if they are still supplying metal parts?

Gasket, Valve Seat
3GG-13621-00-00

RuZty
-----
-----

#94 Post by RuZty » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:18 am

kpke wrote:
Order more Yamaha metal gaskets???

Does anyone know if you order these gaskets from Yamaha if they are still supplying metal parts?

Gasket, Valve Seat
3GG-13621-00-00
I have removed the aluminum gaskets in the past, can't remember if I put them in or not. I wish I could get more, they came with a soft sealant bead already on them. The number you posted gets you a paper gasket, I have several still in the bag. This is a challenging area to seal for me too, I use Threebond 1104 on both sides of all gaskets. Make sure you aren't over tightening the bolts and distorting the manifold.

kpke
-----
-----

#95 Post by kpke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:46 am

Thanks Russ.

I have had those aluminum gaskets with the sealant bead on them before also. It would be great to find the part number for those exact parts.

I tightened the bolts as I normally would first, no torque wrench. I thought I had it wipped but then found the miniscule weeks. After finding the leaks I tightened the bolts more. I am sure the bolts are over torqued now. Any more tightening and I will be pulling aluminum out of the cylinders.

Hopefully I can get back to this this evening.

krmiller70

#96 Post by krmiller70 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

Maybe your surfaces aren't completely flat? You could try 'dressing' up the surface of the intake boot (Part the carbs connect into) by laying some 1000 - 1500 grit sand paper on a flat surface, such as a sheet of glass. Take a black felt tip marker and rub it all over the gasket surfaces so it's all black with ink, then take the intake boot and lightly rub it back and forth on the glass with the sand paper.

This will expose all the high spots on the surface. Keep rubbing on the sand paper until the intake boot surface is consistently flat. You'll be able to visually see this by the exposed aluminum from the ink being sanded away.

krmiller70

#97 Post by krmiller70 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:00 am

Maybe your surfaces aren't completely flat? You could try 'dressing' up the surface of the intake boot (Part the carbs connect into) by laying some 1000 - 1500 grit sand paper on a flat surface, such as a sheet of glass. Take a black felt tip marker and rub it all over the gasket surfaces so it's all black with ink, then take the intake boot and lightly rub it back and forth on the glass with the sand paper.

This will expose all the high spots on the surface. Keep rubbing on the sand paper until the intake boot surface is consistently flat. You'll be able to visually see this by the exposed aluminum from the ink being sanded away.

MK

#98 Post by MK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:06 pm

Note that "slow" leaking on the YPVS is kind of normal.
I recently tested my engine and found that most leakage was on the PV bushes/seals. One even popped out and I had to secure it with screws/washers.

And BTW: Hylomar sucks. Use silicone based agents like Dirko (the gray one here).
Bye
Martin

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#99 Post by two-stroke-brit » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:19 pm

i was having lots of trouble getting a kawa H1 tripple to seal around the carb?cylinder mounts (crap design).
but a good friend recommended this.

its ANAEROBIC works in the absence of oxygen.

perfect for carbs etc.

its almost like cheating.( looks like grape jelly)

mark
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

RuZty
-----
-----

#100 Post by RuZty » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:31 pm

kpke wrote:

It would be great to find the part number for those exact parts.
I think it likely supersedes to the one you posted. They probably put the expensive "no air leak warranty job gaskets" on them new and when stock ran out after production stopped they switched to something cheaper.

kpke
-----
-----

#101 Post by kpke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks for all the replies friends. :smt039

I think I had posted in the engines section the difficulty I was having sealing this stuff up. The Hylomar is being used after getting recommendations from others on here. And now MK says it sucks. :smt009 (BTW, I appreciate your input after reading your smart posts in this forum.)

I have always liked Loctite products. That gasket maker 515 I'll bet works quite well. About 100 years ago when I was in a fun manufacturing environment, back when we made things in the USA, I attended a Loctite seminar. It was quite interesting and they do make good products. I use medium strength Loctite all over and use the wicking and high-strength stuff also as required.

The good news is I think I have this thing whipped finally.

Last night I took it all part. The Hylomar is much easier to clean up than the gray Moto seal. I went into the parts bins and found another set of reeds/intakes. These things were almost permanently glued together with tons of gray stuff. It took some careful effort to get them separated and then a lot of effort to get the manifolds cleaned up. These manifolds have the ears on the inside, whereas the ones I was using previously did not. The parts fiches clearly show ears on these manifolds so I am not too sure what the origin of the other ones are.

Anyway I reassembled using the aluminum gasket between the cylinder and the reed block (same reeds as above) with some Hylomar on both sides. Then installed the manifolds with NO paper gasket but did use a little Hylomar.

A little anxious this morning before work I installed the pressure test stuff and after the volume settled, it seems to be holding. :smt041

I'll post up a few photos when I get a few minutes. Nothing too spectacular to see though.

MK

#102 Post by MK » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:28 am

That "ears" is just some basic reed stuffer molded into the manifold.
People cut them off to use VForce reeds.
Bye
Martin

kpke
-----
-----

#103 Post by kpke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Parts removed are on the left new old parts are on the right.

All cleaned up and now installed.

kpke
-----
-----

#104 Post by kpke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 pm

MK wrote:That "ears" is just some basic reed stuffer molded into the manifold.
People cut them off to use VForce reeds.

Pretty funny. I guess when you take YEARS to do a build things can get forgotten, at least in my world.

When I went to photo bucket to copy pics over I saw this

I cut those "ears" off when I was installing VForce reeds :smt044

kpke
-----
-----

#105 Post by kpke » Thu May 24, 2018 1:11 am

I should post this in body parts also.

And I should have asked this before I started hacking.

Has anyone deflapped and opened the fuel filler hole on a US fuel tank?

How did you do it?

Start

Finish

Probably not my best work but it will do. A piece of the flap is still in there but it will do no harm.

I was going to drill a bunch of holes, then file until the holes were all connected. But then I got the roto zip tool out, loaded an aluminum cutting bit in it (it's all I had), and proceeded to free hand cut it out as you see it. The roto zip tool froze up once but I unstuck it and it worked well enough to finish the cutting. And I only wiped out one of the alu cutting bits. Then cleaned it up a bit and deburred with various dremel bits.

One more question...

Does anyone have a solution for replacing the fuel cap rubber oring?

The one for this tank is hard as a rock.