Kenny paint restomod

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

rippa

Kenny paint restomod

#1 Post by rippa » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:42 pm

Hello to all, I'm new to the board and I score "0" for originality! I'm starting with a basket case '85 RZ350 that was a track bike for almost 20 years so it was beat to death, plenty of broken and missing parts and almost no hardware. It should be a piece of cake because it's my very first motorcycle project. I did inherit some new parts and a few cool tidbits left over from the racing days even though some may be in need of rebuild so it's not all bad. I have lots of questions and need lots of guidance mostly because all the business' that I knew of are now gone. My engine guy, suspension shop, performance shops all gone, retired or sold off.

kpke
-----
-----

Re: Kenny paint restomod

#2 Post by kpke » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:14 am

Here's a link to a playlist on my YT channel of a recent RZ350 resto mod.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... xNpOXaXAdt

Have fun with your project. :smt023

rippa

#3 Post by rippa » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:09 pm

Ah I watched your video's already. Very nice videos and work!!! I hope mine comes out as well as your did.

rippa

#4 Post by rippa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:48 am

I've been reading many posts on here and while I've learned a lot but I'm also getting confused on what I thought was a clear path to my build so I'm asking for some sound advice to try to avoid some of the pitfalls. I am having a hard time finding specific info searching the forum so I suck at that. I'm no stranger to building of road projects but this is my first motorcycle build and I don't know much if anything about performance bikes or parts. My bike is a '85 350 I bought as a basket case and the Bike was lets say over represented which I expected but some of the parts were supposed to be new are not and I question the things that claimed to be done like the forks being rebuilt and cartridges installed.My end goal is a tz 500 looking bike with reasonable reliability
I don't know where to start so I think I need to list what I have to work with. I have the bike completely taken apart for rebuild. This what I got I believe it's a U.S.version with canadian full fairing and a Airtech tz 250 tail section stock gas tank. Suspension consist of A Works remote reservoir rear shock with a dry rotted bump stop, an aluminum swing arm of unknown orgin and stock fork with a brace and supposedly loaded with cartridges, Brakes are R6 wave rotors stock rear caliper and r6 front calipers on stock wheels. The motor doesn't appear to have any porting done but has spec 2 pipes and 30mm round slide carbs. In boxes I have an new aluminim radiator, Koso rip off tach, clip ons, Tarrozi rearset, stock wheels extra fork,stock fork,gauges, foot peg mounts, spare power valve servo set up and some radom stuff.
What I've done is I powder coated the frame, bought all the oem motor parts still available, Wossner 64.5mm pistons, a new Vito trued and welded crank.
My next step is to have the cylinders bored and start putting the motor together. With that said I had questions on stock head or after market? Anything I should know or plan for before building the motor? I am willing to use bolt on performance parts and things for longevity but I don't want to mess with porting. Thank you for any help your will to give.

Smoker

#5 Post by Smoker » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:24 pm

Welcome. Just saw your first post today.

The first piece of advice I have is to learn how to post photos, and show detailed pics of what you have and anything specific you're asking about. Some members here are highly knowledgeable, and just from looking at the pics, can answer questions that you wouldn't think to ask.

Because your bike was a racer for so many years, there can be unknown problems, or modifications that need to be changed. I would have advised against powder coating the frame early in the project. Racers and customizers like me, very often cut brackets or other stuff off the frame, for looks or to save weight. Some times I need to add a bracket or something to the frame. Not something I would want to do after powder coating.

Not sure what your questions are about the head. With no cylinder porting, I wouldn't expect an aftermarket head to do much for performance.

rippa

#6 Post by rippa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:56 pm

Thanks smoker, My thoughts on an after market head would be the advantage of o-rings and the ease of changing domes if I decide to do mods in the future.I don't know if the bike have cooling issues where a after market head would be part of solving an issue like that but if the stock head is fine then I'll run that. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how. I will try to put up pictures asap.

rippa

#7 Post by rippa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:50 pm

IMG_2506.jpg
IMG_2506.jpg (151.48 KiB) Viewed 427 times
IMG_2507.jpg
IMG_2507.jpg (108.37 KiB) Viewed 427 times
IMG_2579.jpg
IMG_2579.jpg (169.06 KiB) Viewed 427 times

rippa

#8 Post by rippa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:04 pm

IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg (144.9 KiB) Viewed 427 times
This was a learning curve sorry about the hodge podge photos. This photo is of the Fbook ad but it is not what it looked like after the 4 hour drive to get there and the others were of when I got it home. The frame was freshly powder coated in red but I had it redone in black.I guessed at the front fairing model.

rippa

#9 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:57 pm

It's been painful waiting for parts and service so I haven't had anything to post. The wheels of progress have finally starting rolling. The frame came back from powder after close to 2 months of waiting and delays but it was worth it. The powder coater did a fantastic job.

rippa

#10 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:58 pm

rippa

#11 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:21 pm

It doesn't look like much was done but I've been replacing every nut, bolt and any part still available from Yamaha. I've gone over every part fixing,cleaning and polishing as I go. I've had trouble finding anyplace locally to do anything for this bike. I went through the gammit of trying to find someone to service my works rear shock. I tried several places but they only work on motocross suspension or Harley's. I tried racetech and that ended in frustration and they still haven't called me back. I finally found Thor Lawsons evolution suspension and he fixed me right up in no time.

rippa

#12 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:23 pm

I took some time and polished the fork tubes to see how they'd look.

rippa

#13 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:23 pm

rippa

#14 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:46 pm

I've been thinking about the color scheme and how to balance the look of the bike and how to shade out things I don't like and draw attention to other parts etc. I don't like the look of the wheels so I'm staying with the satin black but the fender is going to be black too. I wanted to break up the tires from the rims and the polished forks were loud and plain. I got some cheap rim stripes to break up the tire and wheel and I was going to paint the forks gold or something but I borrowed a look from the 80's that I like with some fork decals. The R6 calipers are black with gold inserts so it's either going to be too busy or compliment each other. The rims are staying black regardless and everything else can be changed easy enough.

rippa

#15 Post by rippa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:53 pm

I am starting to clean up the rimes for repainting today and I went to the auto parts store to get some paint supply's and hit yet another wall. They no longer sell paint and they don't really know any place around that does.... That's inconvenient!