Re: RZ350 Super Motard

#931 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:11 am

Chemist, engineer, and machinist! Wow!

kpke
-----
-----

#932 Post by kpke » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 am

I met Jeff when I purchased an RZ350 from him a few years back. Of course Frame Maker knows him quite well as these smart fabricators are a tightknit group.

He is a very, very interesting fellow. Unbelievably smart, way out of my league. I got the tour of his shop and his bikes (at the time). He had several running race bikes, a few street legal bikes, and a few projects going on. He can do pretty much anything motorcycle fabrication related out of his home/shop.

Good luck Smoker.

Smoker

#933 Post by Smoker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Have to meet with the doc today about my surgery. Could be more bad news. I'm not a good surgical candidate for several reasons. Last thing I expected was to have a huge smile on my face, 5 minutes after waking up today!

Spent literally hours sending about 5 emails to Jeff Henise yesterday. Went through about 3,000 pics, trying to organize and send the best ones to peak his interest in making pipes for this bike. Skipped all the big money items like wheels, calipers, etc., and focused on the one-off titanium and aluminum stuff of my own design. Then, I went all in on the pipe plans.

My plan, as of now, is to finish the stainless stingers and exhaust tips. The tips and stingers should be small enough to fit in the TiN coating oven, so they will be polished gold. I asked Jeff if he could make the cone sections out of titanium. (Never seen titanium pipes from him). Also sent some cool pics of those high-end titanium anodized Ferrari exhausts. Was thinking he could do the cone work and we could send the pipes to somewhere like Unobtanium Welding for the welding & anodizing.

Checked my email when I woke up and Jeff is definitely interested. He said he used to weld titanium, and he's already talking about a 4-cone mockup to test his own welding skills. I don't know how things will turn out, but I'm extremely happy and hopeful at the moment. Haven't been doing well the past few days, and this is just what I needed!

Questo vecchio rz

#934 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:23 am

I'm glad to hear you are doing your thing.

I understand where your at, except mine is sometimes the other side of the coin. Losing my wife, has wounded me deep, so deep I often feel as if I'd welcome following ..it's odd as I'm a fighter..but not in this case.

But ...then there is my dog...He's literally a lifesaver and just one cool dog, I bought him for my wife..as she needed the attachment...but I now realize...hes here for me just as much
Then No. 2 Is my RZ, I just sent my parts a couple weeks ago to RGV Steve, So I have a new focus of getting a rolling chassis going. and when he can get to it, were working toward a good roller then the chassis mids to a RZ frame after the motor,I have lined up to be a real screamer..it's going to one enjoyable bike.

So there we go ... one more thing to look forward to and put a smile on our faces :smt002
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Smoker

#935 Post by Smoker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:34 am

evan_calgary wrote:Chemist, engineer, and machinist! Wow!
Check out his Facebook cover photo.
With a 2-stroke Husa, wearing his "Los Pollos Hermanos" hoodie. :smt003

Don't forget his great sense of humor!

Smoker

#936 Post by Smoker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 am

Wanted to use some WR wheels for transport and pipe fabrication. Leave the Marchesinis at home.

After staring at the bike and the wheels, I think it's too time consuming.

Bought 2 welding blankets, 4'x6'x1/4". Looking at Nomex thread now.

Thinking I could make some nice wheel covers. Easier, cheaper, faster.

Smoker

#937 Post by Smoker » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:04 am

Spent a good amount of Christmas day with a wrench in my hand. :smt023

Switching out the titanium hardware for regular stuff, and removing everything not needed to fab up the pipes. Will post a pic tomorrow when I get it cleaned up.

Still need to mock up the radiator.

hondaror

#938 Post by hondaror » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:23 am

Sounds like a great day!
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

OldTZracer

#939 Post by OldTZracer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Smoker,
It has been way too cold to work in my garage these days, so I have been rereading your build threads from the beginning.

For many years now, your vision, drive and no-compromise 1st class attention to detail has been an inspiration. Both your project bikes are great examples to show the rest of us what can be accomplished if we push beyond the "usual" bolt-on mods.

Thanks for sharing these stories with us.
"...its a 2-stroke ya twit - Its supposed to smoke..."

Smoker

#940 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 am

Questo vecchio rz wrote:I'm glad to hear you are doing your thing.

I understand where your at, except mine is sometimes the other side of the coin. Losing my wife, has wounded me deep, so deep I often feel as if I'd welcome following ..it's odd as I'm a fighter..but not in this case.

But ...then there is my dog...He's literally a lifesaver and just one cool dog, I bought him for my wife..as she needed the attachment...but I now realize...hes here for me just as much
Then No. 2 Is my RZ, I just sent my parts a couple weeks ago to RGV Steve, So I have a new focus of getting a rolling chassis going. and when he can get to it, were working toward a good roller then the chassis mids to a RZ frame after the motor,I have lined up to be a real screamer..it's going to one enjoyable bike.

So there we go ... one more thing to look forward to and put a smile on our faces :smt002
I want to do my thing, but at this point I have no idea how much time I have. Hopefully, soon I will have a better idea. This means I have to spend time doing mundane responsible shit, but I don't want to leave a mess for anyone.

I would love to have 2 Blueheelers, but depends on what happens. If I'm working, and not home enough, those dogs will destroy the house and my bikes. My feeling is that I'm probably done with my job. Not sure yet.

Still trying to build bikes, and finally able to get out of bed and hold a wrench. I've talked to RGVSteve about your stuff and his other projects. He's a friend who always gives me good advice that I have difficulty following. He told me to stick to this bike, since it's the closest to being done. I know that's right, but I have difficulty turning down people that want to help me with the RZV500.

Looking forward to enjoying life, again. Just haven't been able to own the illness, yet. Was able to go to AZ this weekend to see my Native American family. Looks like I'll be buried on Indian land, in the yard of my family home. To me, that's as cool as it gets.

Smoker

#941 Post by Smoker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 am

OldTZracer wrote:Smoker,
It has been way too cold to work in my garage these days, so I have been rereading your build threads from the beginning.

For many years now, your vision, drive and no-compromise 1st class attention to detail has been an inspiration. Both your project bikes are great examples to show the rest of us what can be accomplished if we push beyond the "usual" bolt-on mods.

Thanks for sharing these stories with us.
Just remembered I promised a photo. Will work on that ASAP.

I appreciate the comments a lot. I'm just learning as I go, and now that I 'm getting close to the end of the projects, I have to deal with many mistakes I made while learning. I definitely need to try to finish the bikes to provide closure for myself, and many others. Just had no idea that my time would be cut short.
I won't give up, for sure.

Smoker

#942 Post by Smoker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 am

Getting there.

Just pondering two separate radiators connected with rubber tubing, vs. two radiators fixed together by solid tubing. Probably want the radiator in a "V" shape. More soon.

Last edited by Smoker on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RuZty
-----
-----

#943 Post by RuZty » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

If you want to connect 2 together without a hose in between consider using a Wiggins clamp or something similar to give some compliance. You would probably want to safety wire it on a street bike.

Smoker

#944 Post by Smoker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:48 am

RuZty wrote:If you want to connect 2 together without a hose in between consider using a Wiggins clamp or something similar to give some compliance. You would probably want to safety wire it on a street bike.
Here's a photo of my original mockup. It was done before the engine cradle was made.

I would prefer the 2 cores to have a single tank on the top and bottom, so it would be one piece.

I'll check out the Wiggins clamp, though.
Last edited by Smoker on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Questo vecchio rz

#945 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 am

Love your bike's, do whatever you've always done! Whatever makes you happy!!
Yes RGV Steve is such a nice guy, I know what you say about sometimes following him, I have to dictate written and mental notes, Wish I had a little of a machinists background so I wouldn't be so oblivious.
My conversion was not the most optimal, had some bugs to work out, not too unlike many others though, but he got it done!
I spent alot of time (years)..lol working out which swingarm & triple clamps & short wheelbase swingarm and rake & trail to as close to a 88-89 TZ This is my 3rd swingarm /triple combo I bought, For me other swingarms extended the wheelbase too much, and this one allows me to slide the axle further forward than my other options did.
I'm Keeping its soul real with a RZ350 frame as well ! It's more than capable of what I want from it.
I'm so happy to finally make a little progress, hopefully I can keep the momentum going.
I've been living vicariously through my friends projects and helping him with getting his bike's to Mr. Turfrey for a full rebuild & some awesome YZR modifications on his 500.
I too have some F-ing health issues right now...waiting for some tests to find out WTF is wrong...hope for the best is all I can do.
Anyways...you keep going on your toys...can't wait to see what you do, on any of your bike's, definitely gotta pay you a visit sometime. :smt023
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500