rdstars hybrid

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

SCREAMER

#46 Post by SCREAMER » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Thats a proper streetfighter m8 although take a foot off those brake lines B4 they snag on something & drag you down causeing all that work for not.
thats one machine that can have fun following the gixxer as long as the bobbies arent running you down.
i realy like the tucked in homebuilt pipes,youve got talent to pull it all together quickly.
original owner of the roberts replica

aaronmvrider
-----
-----

#47 Post by aaronmvrider » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:48 pm

nice one !!!! any idea on paint scheme as yet, original or custom ????

great work on that swingarm and frame modification :smt002
1 x 4mm stroker rz 375cc 1983
1 x 7mm stroker rz 443cc 1984 (under construction)
1 x rz 500
1 x mv agusta 1000

rdstars

#48 Post by rdstars » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:11 pm

It will be repainted when I rebuild the RD but it will stay original. The intention is cafe racer looking as much like an original with modern parts if that made any sence, lol.

Im also building a spair motor, it will peak just over 10k, lots of porting already done, boyesen ported 10x20mm 2 per cylinder, TZR/TDR reed block, O'ringed barrels, will have about 0.8mm squish, 32mm RGV carbs. Also my own design pipes baced on Jolly Moto with a little more top end & broader mid range but sod all bottom end. Its all about BHP....

That means I will have another motor when I swap them over, another project I think.

rdstars

#49 Post by rdstars » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Got my new tyre fitted today, also waiting for some front brake lines as the RD ones I just dont have the heart to cut, ill probably balls them up if I do.

So Brake lines to finish mock-up / rough finish....

See what I mean about the Lines....

Oh yeh, this is how simple the clock mount can be, this is one I did mock up but made another one after.

rdstars

#50 Post by rdstars » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Little update.

I had a spair few mins today so thought I would change the rear master cylinder and take it for a test run to see if my test pipes clear the ground.

I know she is looking rough, left out in all that snow/rain, pipes are square looking because they are just test pipes for ground clearance as the last set ground mid bend.

Also took it down a private road :smt002 flat out, pulled about 10k showing around 115mph standard gearing BUT after about 1/4 mile flat out it boged down for a second, like hit a flat spot then was all ok again, I do have a slight kink in my fuel pipe though and will be replacing it when a new one comes in the post.

Still thought id share a pic and vid with anyone who is interested:

Running: Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTnE8xCj7M

:)

pez

#51 Post by pez » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm really digging this bike - looks proper cafe style. I think the few rough edges actually make it look tougher..

Can't get enough of the GP pipes and rear wheel together..

FYI the youtube link doesn't work "user has removed video"..
'86 RZ250R w/350 Barrels - daily
'76 RD400C - running restoration

rdstars

#52 Post by rdstars » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 am

pez wrote:I'm really digging this bike - looks proper cafe style. I think the few rough edges actually make it look tougher..

Can't get enough of the GP pipes and rear wheel together..

FYI the youtube link doesn't work "user has removed video"..
Thanks, yes I removed the youtube vid as a few members on another forum thought I was a fair bit irresponsible, was just having a play, you can work it out from there :smt003

The pipes were just made to see if they would clear but are still at the right dimentions. Next set will be tucked in just the same but rounder edges like the old set.

In person it does look rough but it was my first build, wont ever sell as it will be a work in progress, it has leant me loads in fabrication for future bikes to come.

As in future bikes.
Got a frame, engine & tank.
Love to do a TZR350 or maybe a Mito350

rdstars

#53 Post by rdstars » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Not had alot of time lately but got a little update. I re'done the bottom shock link because I just struggled with clearance.

Been playing with Hydroforming and have managed to do the headers to belly this way. I Hate cone rolling but I had to do it for the baffle/reverse cone.

Just a few pics, not finished in these pics but I have now finished the barckets and given them one coat of Plastikote BBQ paint. Post more end of the week when its all painted, running, etc.....

There still not 100% a little rough here and there but its my 3rd set of pipes I have ever built and my first time ever Hydroforming. Learning new tricks all the time but I'm not a fan of pipe building and I hate cone rolling. Still another few sets and I'm sure ill get the hang of it.

slinger
-----
-----

#54 Post by slinger » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Well done they have turned out really quite good for you :smt003

Have you measured the header to see how accurate they are compared to cone rolling.

What did you blow them up with a plumbers test rig and what pressure did you use.

rdstars

#55 Post by rdstars » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:09 pm

slinger wrote:Well done they have turned out really quite good for you :smt003

Have you measured the header to see how accurate they are compared to cone rolling.

What did you blow them up with a plumbers test rig and what pressure did you use.
I know not bad as im sh*t at fabricating.

I used a Clarke PTP100 preasure test pump, £100 from Machine Mart. Think the headers needed around 500-600 psi and the center section needed over 700 psi. A fair bit of pounding with a hammer with that preasure and alot of waste sheet steel but easy enough to do.

Accuracy I'm not sure on. At Five points over the header its bang on but its not going to be 100% exact, still alot closer than I could ever do with cone rolling.

The Header is two sections, ie: Downpipe & 1st Defuser.
The Centre section is three sections, ie: 2nd, 3rd Defuser & Belly.

I know blowing the pipes I will loose the X & Y turbalance of a cone rolled pipe but the Baffle section is cone rolled should help with that and also down pipe to centre section done seperate should also create some X & Y turbalance.

Still I will admit I carnt cone roll a whole pipe, its hard to master and takes a good fabricator to do them.

rdstars

#56 Post by rdstars » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Been out for a quick test ride. Night & Day difference in how they perform according to my Ass Dyno.

There is some bottom end now, feels about the same with a pick up from about 6500 rpm BUT from about 8K rpm it takes off with a nice little kick in the rear. Sat upright on a private road :smt002 it pulled an indecated 120mph with ease.

Cannot wait for a Dyno run now. All I'm going to do different is use a Degree Key to advance the ignition and a 29L Powervalve controller to open fully by 9200 rpm.

Some pics and a sound check.

Sound check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7C4jK7kBI
Last edited by rdstars on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morty
-----
-----

#57 Post by Morty » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:56 pm

awesome job on the exhaust :smt020
75 RD350
83 RZ350
87 RZ350
03 KX250
78 DT175

crazydiablo

#58 Post by crazydiablo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:16 am

Those pipes have come out really nice. Cant believe its homemade. Jetted for new pipes?

JonW

#59 Post by JonW » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 am

Looks and sounds great, but bet the MRs wasnt too happy with a house full of two stroke 'zorst fumes LOL! She was shouting 'Close the F'in door!' but the revs mostly drowned her out... you can hear her about about 2mins 36secs... superb! :smt003
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

rdstars

#60 Post by rdstars » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks, the Mrs is fine with all I do, who do you think was holding the camera
:smt003

As for jetting the F2 on Powerjets are well known to be rich, it has been on the Dyno for a few days with many pipes and jetting was not that far out swaping between them so nothing realy needed for these. The motor is as Bog standard as any motor can be. Im not the sort of person who will be jetting daily/weekly/monthly,etc....

Still these pipes are there to do a power run on a stock motor with only the Powervalve controller changed and a Degree key put in to allow it to rev a little more. As Yamaha decided on the later RD to stop. So not realy going away from stock just closer to the older spec.

I've changed the one photo that is of the rear, I edited it to my screen size and it looks a little more chunky.

Now that has got me thinking, it look chunky anyway as the standard RD has skinny wheels and tyres on there but now there is a 18" 150 section on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,, My new thought is a VFR750 wheel, extra 1/2" wide, 17" tall, I know I could get a 160 in but the VFR would take a 170 section Think I could make it fit & work