#16 Post by rdstars » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:48 am

RGVSteve wrote:rdstars,
Is the wheel centered when its installed on the swingarm? Fitting a
single sided swingarm is not the same as a regular swingarm, I've
done a few just trying to save you some headaches. Humor me, fit
the wheel, mark the center, run a line from the steering head to the
wheel center stand back and eye ball it, if all is well, great, if not
better to find out now.
I wish I could but I dont have a wheel yet, I have measured more than once and so far all good, BUT if it does turn out to be out of line which I dont think it is then its and easy fix, just would need two spacers re-done or moded and put them in. BUT for the nc30 arm to go in an f2 frame square it would put the chain line out 5mm, and mine is bang on 5mm out.

Wish I had all the parts in one go but its down to budjet and what turns up. Carnt wait for a wheel to turn up so I can be 100% and will post as soon as I can, it wasent on my mind untill now as I have taken load of measurements and sure its right. The nc30 frame is square between mountain points and the arm fits square inside, my rd frame is square between mountain points and the arm is fitted and spaced square.

Any chance you could do a write up on how you fit yours and what mods you do, be handy to see another way, do you mod the arm or the frame?

RGVSteve

#17 Post by RGVSteve » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:21 pm

rdstars,

I mod the swingarm, no reason to mod the frame. The nature of the
design for the single sided arms requires them to move to the left to get
the wheel alined with the center of the frame, once thats done then you
can figure out what needs to be done on the swingarm. The MC28 is
a bit easier to work with because once the wheels alined up the swingarm
is modded to fit the hole for the shock is still pretty much centered so
the stock shock and relay link all bolt in place and line up, just need to
fab up a new "dog bone " so to speak to attach to the bottom of the swingarm and the shock/relay link. The NC30/35 are a bit different by
design, the frame doesn't need to be modded to fit these arms, all the
work is done on the arm itself, they still fit to the left in the frame, and
require moving the upper and lower shock mount/relay link mount to
aline with the hole in the swingarm since on these arms the shock hole
is a bit off center. I see in your first post your were going to have
Nigel do this conversion, have you talked with him just to kind'da
verify your going in the right direction, I know he's done quite a few
single sided conversion using a variety of swingarms into different
frames. Never hurts to have as much info as possible.
I have pictures from when I did Nick's MC28/RZ350 and pictures from
doing the NC35/NS400, I've done the Hawk arm in the RZ500 but no
pictures from that.

rdstars

#18 Post by rdstars » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:57 pm

I did chat to Nigel, I was thinking of have him machine the arm but would have had to wait over three weeks and he did explain how he does it, I have heard mixed reviews on other forums. After much thinking and also chating with a few other members via pm on other forums who has done the same thing they done it without modding the swingarm. I much rather do things myself than pay others for what I can do.

Also off another forum I found out the frame and swingarm distances and centers for the nc30, also had a good look over an nc30, with all the information I have found out and measurements I have taken I am 95% certain it is right, as soon as I get an nc30 / vfr750 wheel I will take my measurements from that and I will know 100% if im right. But with the amount that the shock and chain is out I would say its bang on as the chain alinement should be 5mm out on paper and was by the time I took a measurement when fitted.

If I am out then it is a very quick simple fix, just re-measure and get the spacers re-done, or if it is only a little out I do have adjustment upto 4mm ( 2mm each side ), to fit them is a matter of less than 5 mins.

Will keep posted with results soon but still waiting on a wheel, may take a little longer if a VFR750 wheel turns up as I will need to mod the hub.

RGVSteve

#19 Post by RGVSteve » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:10 pm

rdstars,
Looking forward to seeing how things turn out. May I ask what other
forums you refered to, there's always more then one way to do things
might just learn something I wasn't aware of or had thought about.

rdstars

#20 Post by rdstars » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi Steve, hope you dont mind, you got pm. :smt001

RGVSteve

#21 Post by RGVSteve » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:23 pm

rdstars,

You have PM.

rdstars

#22 Post by rdstars » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:10 pm

rdstars wrote:Hi Steve, hope you dont mind, you got pm. :smt001

x2

rdstars

#23 Post by rdstars » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:42 am

Little more done and a few pics:

I have also first of all with string then with a laser line checked to see if its all inline, wheel to headstock through various mountain points and YES rear wheel to headstock inline. :D

Standing almost on its own wheels: :shock:

One slight issue, the left side exhaust wont pass by the swingarm and also the rear'set will also catch. :(

hellmanns

#24 Post by hellmanns » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:46 pm

rdstars wrote: One slight issue, the left side exhaust wont pass by the swingarm and also the rear'set will also catch. :(

Welcome to the club my friend!!!

you might want to chop the tip where is the peg located and weld direct on the frame...
"...It's just like traveling on a plane, but, without that horrible meal... and with the window opened..."
(RD350 87')

Picobello

#25 Post by Picobello » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Awsome looking rear-end dude :smt023

Now you need to buy Jolly Moto's GP style or a set of Micron GP style like in the following link

http://link.marktplaats.nl/205147278

or

http://link.marktplaats.nl/205016547

Both still for sale........
You don't have to be afraid of the 100 horses underneath the seat of a motorbike, but beware of the donkey that's driving it......

rdstars

#26 Post by rdstars » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 pm

[quote="Picobello"]Awsome looking rear-end dude :smt023

Now you need to buy Jolly Moto's GP style or a set of Micron GP style like in the following link

Nope sorry, I realy did not intend to go GP style and was hoping just to run my microns for a very short while to check its all running ok before second time strip down and build my own. Im just not a fan of twin one side, I did get told that the pipe wouldent fit by soneone with this arm and I dont think anyone has done a single side 350 with one ether side ( my turn to be original ) Also I cannot aford a set of pipes Im to poor :(

I am hoping I can get a set of small rear sets, I just may have to build my pipes early, with the design of the bike I think a set of pipes like Sebs modded banshee drag pipes would look good, short and stocky so the expansion chamber finishes before the bend in the swingarm but not sure if the design of the pipes can be modded this far. Im sure Seb may throw me a lifeline with a design if I ask him nice :smt002

Picobello any more developments on your frame build, looking forward to seeing more of that build.

rdstars

#27 Post by rdstars » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Spent today working on the RD, inbetween rain, not having a garage or someone to give me hand, had a nightmare of a time, nothing went right.

I stupidly asumed that I could just cut bottom shock link on the frame and move it to the width and position I needed, I was thinking that the position wouldent be that far out and should have plenty of movement in the link and set the hight of the bike by the top shock mount.

Nope it never worked, I cut and rewelded the mount, bolted it together and it is way off, even at the lowest point the bike was sitting to high. I never saw that one coming.

So thats it, easyest way now, making a new mountain point as for it to fit right I would have to cut out that whole section of the frame and move it back about an inch or two. So sod it, it will be an extra brace in the frame I suppose when I have finnished. Carnt do no more till next Sunday and hopefully it will be dry.

rdstars

#28 Post by rdstars » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Right had a sleep on it, was thinking of a scrap frame to cut the section out and welding it behind the old one, BUT been playing with some bodged dogbones 2" longer and it seems to do the trick. This weekend get the old dogbones cut off and new ones welded on.

Picobello

#29 Post by Picobello » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm

You better keep the old dogbones and fix the lower mounting point. Swingarm, link, dogbones and shock are a match. Change one of them and the there will be a mismatch. Link will be angeled different with longer dogbones which will affect the suspension.....

The choice is yourse but I would make a different lower mounting point which would match the original dogbones / link combination.
You don't have to be afraid of the 100 horses underneath the seat of a motorbike, but beware of the donkey that's driving it......

rdstars

#30 Post by rdstars » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:47 pm

Been playing more today. I cut two peices of bar 2" longer than the standard shock link/bones just to check my measurements before I get my link modded.

Right it now goes all the way down:

And also all the way up:

I was also scratching my head on the hight of the bike, it just did not look right so I mocked it up with the tank seat & pannel.

Too high

A little more tweaking and still a little higher than a standard RD, 5mm @ the front 10mm at the rear but I think its just right:

Now I have it at this stage I cut out the top shock mount ( what a pain in the rear to get the angle grinder in there )

Need to make a new top mount, I havent got a tube bender so a little stuffed at the moment but I will come up with something, did do a mock up of one in box but it looked rubbish, think its got to be tube.

See looks crap, got to be done in tube.