JL right hand exit exhaust with R6 shock and fz600 swingarm

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

RD400Fiend

JL right hand exit exhaust with R6 shock and fz600 swingarm

#1 Post by RD400Fiend » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Wondering if anyone else is running this specific set up. Purchased a 1985 RZ with the R6 rear shock conversion. I added the FZ600 swingarm when I did a wheel swap.

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a set of JL right hand exit exhaust.

I don't want to have to alter them in any major way. It looks like a very tight fit between the shock linkage and rear tire.

Anyone have an idea if they will fit with current set up? I realize that the only way to really find out is to mount them up- just trying to do a little research first.

I emailed JL and asked the same question.

Thanks.

RD400Fiend

Re: JL right hand exit exhaust with R6 shock and fz600 swing

#2 Post by RD400Fiend » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:11 pm

RD400Fiend wrote:Wondering if anyone else is running this specific set up. Purchased a 1985 RZ with the R6 rear shock conversion. I added the FZ600 swingarm when I did a wheel swap.

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on a set of JL right hand exit exhaust.

I don't want to have to alter them in any major way. It looks like a very tight fit between the shock linkage and rear tire.

Anyone have an idea if they will fit with current set up? I realize that the only way to really find out is to mount them up- just trying to do a little research first.

I emailed JL and asked the same question.

Thanks.
PicsImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

RD400Fiend

#3 Post by RD400Fiend » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Anyone? I figure someone has these same mods.

hondaror

#4 Post by hondaror » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Don't do the GP style pipe, as you lose ground clearance. I personally think it looks $h!t unless you have a "banana" swing arm.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#5 Post by two-stroke-brit » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:20 pm

hondaror wrote:Don't do the GP style pipe, as you lose ground clearance. I personally think it looks $h!t unless you have a "banana" swing arm.
i am with Rory on this one. :smt023
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

expat

#6 Post by expat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:40 pm

I am thinking for doing a similar swap on my sons bike. He also
Are you using RS250 forks and if so, is that a Mk2 front wheel? The Mk1 uses a mechanical speedo drive so I could retain the RZ clocks.. Also, any issues fitting the Rs250 rear wheel into the FZ600 alignment wise??
What are you thinking for a fairing? We are not sure whether to run clip on's or regular bars
85 RZ350
88 YSR50
82 RD350LC (Current project)
06 Triumph Daytona 675 (track toy)
97 Honda RS125 (race bike #1)
99 Aprilia RS250 (race bike #2)
89 RGV250 VJ21
85 RG500
85 RZ350 Hybrid
86 GSXR750

RD400Fiend

#7 Post by RD400Fiend » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello,
Not sure if my front wheel is MK1 or MK2. I'm using a vapor gauge so did not need the speedo drive.

I had the conversion work done by Julian aka Framemaker- he was able to get the alignment dialed in on the rear wheel by making few captive spacers.

No fairing for me- going with the naked look. Will be using the clip ons that came with RS250 front end.

expat

#8 Post by expat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks for the info.
My RS wheels are Mk2.
Are you running an offset front sprocket also?
I was going to use the RS250 arm also but the linkage set up would be a pain. I have an FZ600 arm laying around and this could be a good option..
85 RZ350
88 YSR50
82 RD350LC (Current project)
06 Triumph Daytona 675 (track toy)
97 Honda RS125 (race bike #1)
99 Aprilia RS250 (race bike #2)
89 RGV250 VJ21
85 RG500
85 RZ350 Hybrid
86 GSXR750

Questo vecchio rz

#9 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 am

Tge Left side crossover on JL GPs run fairly close to the rear tire with a 86-87 alum FZ600 swingarm conversion. That's with a stick shock or a equivulant aftermarket RZ specific shock, But you should have no problems. As far as the R-6 or CBR shock swaps go, I have no idea
The 17" tire conversions dies cost you done ground clearance, I know several people whom have run JL GPs on their race bikes and there have never been any clearance issues at all, and two of the guys are pro level roadracers. I also contacted several racers when ran them, one being a class champion on his RZ with JL GPs, he replied everything worked just great, so I bought my set. The only time in 15 years I've ever heard of someone having clearance issues was by one it two guys here about 10 years ago. My only guess was a combination of possibly tire size , profile, ride height,sag, or wrong rear shock geometry. I'm not sure if the guy was ever able to find a solution the problem, I think he had a custom set made up to suit his issue on his bike.
I see in the photos, If I'm not mistaken? that you have Moto Carreras Millennium pipes, do you not like them? The reason I ask is there a F-ing great performing pipe.
I would not be in too much of a rush to gobtovJL-GPs, I know Doug also had dual right side exit (Millenium GPs)..just not 100% sure he offered RZ versions..As there RD 400 specific, A friend has them on his Klemm Bug Bore RD400 465 cc Daytona...That bike is certainly quick.
As far as looks go, to each their own, The arched swingarms do nothing for Lomas pipes,anymore than they do w a FZ swinger, the pipes are fixed in same position no matter. I happen to own a set as well, I like the looks quite alot, I just wanted stainless, and he was the only game in town at the time that made them.
Brian Turfrey builds a very good performing pipe that tucks way up into the contour of a RG250 swapped arched arm or equivilant. He will do a street pipe, with a fat strong midrange or a race pipes built to your engines target range, usually narrow but very effective powerband.But bear in mind...he needs your bike at his shop in Oakdale Calif to do so, and he gas to have it there for quite awhile as These bikes are his side business, not his core bread and butter so you have to get a number and get in line and wait.
Nice bike by the way, keep us posted as to what you decide to do and any issues good it bad you come across.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Questo vecchio rz

#10 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Questo vecchio rz wrote:The Left side crossover on JL GPs run fairly close to the rear tire with a 86-87 alum FZ600 swingarm conversion. That's with a stock shock or a equivilant aftermarket RZ specific shock, But you should have no problems. As far as the R-6 or CBR shock swaps go, I have no idea.
The 17" tire conversions does cost you some ground clearance, I know several people whom have run JL GPs on their race bikes and there have never been any clearance issues at all, and two of the guys are pro level roadracers. I also contacted several racers a decade ago whom ran them, one being a class champion on his RZ with JL GPs, he replied everything worked just great, so I was reassured after I bought my set. The only time in 15 years I've ever heard of someone having clearance issues was by one or two guys here on this site about 10 years ago. My only guess? was a combination of possibly tire size , profile, ride height,sag, or wrong rear shock geometry. I'm not sure if the guy was ever able to find a solution to his clearance problem, I think he had a custom set of pipes made up to suit his issue on his bike.

I see in the photos, If I'm not mistaken? that you have Moto Carreras Millennium pipes, do you not like them? The reason I ask is there a F-ing great performing pipe.
I would not be in too much of a rush to go to JL-GPs, I know Doug also had dual right side exit (Millenium GPs)..just not 100% sure he offered RZ versions..As there RD 400 specific, A friend has them on his Klemm Big Bore RD400 465 cc Daytona...That bike is certainly quick.
As far as looks go, to each their own, The arched swingarms do nothing for Lomas pipes,anymore than they do w a FZ swinger, the pipes are fixed in same position no matter, so visually it's a non issue unless they tuck up into the arch...which they do not. I happen to own a set as well, I like the looks quite alot, I just wanted stainless, and he was the only game in town at the time that made them.
Brian Turfrey builds a very good performing pipe that tucks way up into the contour of a RG250 swapped arched arms or equivilant. He will do a street pipe, with a fat strong midrange or a race pipes built to your engines target range, usually narrow but very effective powerband.But bear in mind...he needs your bike at his shop in Oakdale Calif to do so, and he has to have it there for quite awhile as These bikes are his side hobby business, not his core bread and butter so you have to get a number and get in line and wait.
Nice bike by the way, keep us posted as to what you decide to do and any issues good or bad you come across.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

RD400Fiend

#11 Post by RD400Fiend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the info. I have definitely seen photos of RZ's with this same set up. Any interest in selling the JL pipes you have? Or partial trade for the motocarrera ones I have? I have the motocarrera pipes on my Daytona and they are awesome- both performance and sound wise. Only reason I am thinking of the JL's is because I have been envisioning this build for some time and have been planning on going with the GP mounting. I actually know Doug pretty well- have met him a few times and bought my RZ from him few years back. Great guy and great products. He is no longer selling pipes as he informed me that he sold the patents and all of his parts.

I have heard great things about Brian's work and actually was talking to him about building me a set.
I was trying to fab the motocarrera's GP style but don't want to chop them up and have no welding skills...

Thanks- I am really excited about this build. I have wanted an RZ for many years. I will probably try to order a set of the JL's. Would be nice to have something that mounts right up without any modifications.

Questo vecchio rz

#12 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:46 am

Like you, I have a vision. [smilie=thumbup.gif]
I've come too far to part with them now. They deliver power exactly where I want it for this bike,and I'm partial for stainless. My RZ is the trickest, and most customized bike I've ever built, every single thing I ever wanted to do to a RZ is getting done...but too slow darnnit...lol I'm hoping to accelerate the project when I get the to rolling chassis back from RGV Steve.
I met Doug when he had his brick & mortar shop in Burbank, a great store, it was the best 2 stroke shop in the country... period. He even worked @ Racers Supply back in the mid 80s..that place was a proverbial racebike wet dream mecca. There was absolutely no place like So. Cal in the 80s for motorcycles..we had it all climate, canyons,racetracks, money was easy and bikes we're dirt cheap...
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500