My Eff-too

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

JonW

Re: My Eff-too

#46 Post by JonW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Barrels were painted yesterday after a bunch of masking up, with a quick clean up of the edges today they can go in the box with some marine based vasoline type grease on the bores.

I still have no idea how they will perform due to the porting but with everything cleaned up, new rings fitted and a hone they at least have a chance of providing motive power to this bike, if they dont work I have a spare set of 29L 250 cyls with a fresh bore and new pistons that I could use I guess. not quite the power and fun id hoped for, but we'll see. Its good to have choices. :)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

JonW

#47 Post by JonW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I mentioned early on that I'd found a set of 31K carbs I could use on this bike. I pulled them out, yanked out the brass balls and US cleaned them up. I went through my jets and other parts, locating everything I need except mains/pilots and annoyingly, the big springs!!!!! Where on earth did they go???? I may never have had them of course. sigh. I can buy new ones, but its annoying. Anyone have some they dont want?

These carbs will need a kit for new gaskets and fuel valves of course, but im sending away the idle screws to be re zinc'd, Ive found a source for the small o rings, while new whole idle screws can be had with them fitted for about US$6, im saving US$12+postage a set if i can make this work and I have 3 sets at least to do :)

I also discovered a set of PWKs, which may well get used instead, I like their remote choke on the F models... its good to have choices :)

I guess I'd best leave the F2 alone for now, Im sposed to be working on other bikes as this is the last in the queue, Ive only been working on things as they came back from work (cyls) or when i was doing the same job for another project (the carbs).
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

hablair

#48 Post by hablair » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 am

Hi Jon

Yes I've got the clips from the damaged tray, i was getting confused about the loom covers, yes i have the one that wraps around the birdcage bracket, they came with the birdcage etc from the UK

JonW

#49 Post by JonW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Cool, thats great news.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

JonW

#50 Post by JonW » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 am

Rebuilt the rear brake master cylinder for this one from a bunch of rear brake parts I bought.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

JonW

#51 Post by JonW » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 pm

They say 'everything comes to he who waits...' and maybe that's true, that's how I found this bike in the first place but also thanks for a friend or a friend I had hand delivered this morning a piece of frame to repair the cut out section on this frame. How cool is that! Thanks to my mate for thinking of me :)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

silverstrom

#52 Post by silverstrom » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm

I think that without friends it would be very difficult for many of us to complete projects. It is rare to see any bike built that doesn't involve some form of collaboration with a friend (or forum acquaintances); whether it be someone dropping by with a part you need, or to see your progress, or to offer encouragement when you hit a wall. Those people are the most valuable part of any project and cost you absolutely nothing.

brrrappp

#53 Post by brrrappp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Did you get the big dent out of that bare tank from a couple pages back? Curious how you went about it? I've seen body guys weld tabs onto the tank, pull the dent and then grind off the tabs, resurface and paint. I've never seen someone cut one open to work from inside but if you're a good welder I guess that would work pretty good too.

JonW

#54 Post by JonW » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 pm

I totally agree John. For the human side of what we do is a massive part of it. Sure, we dont get on with everyone, but Ive made some great friends through this hobby.

brap, Ive not done a thing with it really. I did pull a few small dings with a dent puller I bought on ebay, but as this is a project for the future Ive not done very much with any of the parts unless i'm doing something for another project at the same time and the parts are done then as its easier with everything out and the mind is set etc.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

brrrappp

#55 Post by brrrappp » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:32 pm

JonW wrote:I totally agree John. For the human side of what we do is a massive part of it. Sure, we dont get on with everyone, but Ive made some great friends through this hobby.

brap, Ive not done a thing with it really. I did pull a few small dings with a dent puller I bought on ebay, but as this is a project for the future Ive not done very much with any of the parts unless i'm doing something for another project at the same time and the parts are done then as its easier with everything out and the mind is set etc.

I spent some time looking at your website. You do some really nice work! It's really fun to view works in progress. Thank you for the inspiration! By the way, you are a good writer as well. It's enjoyable reading. Between your site and Smoker's posts, my eyeballs are burning!

JonW

#56 Post by JonW » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated. My whole garage is filled with these part done projects and I always figured I couldnt be the only one. Someone once said that talking about a problem is half way to fixing it etc haha. :)
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

JonW

#57 Post by JonW » Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 pm

If anyone is interested in reading about what im doing with this one in a more condensed and rewritten form, Ive hosted the build on my website now:
http://2smoked.com/Yamaha_RZ350_F2_-_35 ... yrbid.html
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

JonW

#58 Post by JonW » Thu May 30, 2019 2:14 am

Ive been restoring a screen for my 500 and pulled out the other screens I had as there was on in the box for this build. I added the stickers and gave them a last polish, ready for when they're needed. Its great to have thsi job finally fully done, you can sand a polish forever on these and while its therapeutic, its quite a bit of elbow grease.

80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

JonW

#59 Post by JonW » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:26 pm

It's been almost 5 months since I posted in this thread, but this is a project a long way from being on my lift and getting built so that's no surprise... but today I do have an update :)

I was having a garage clearup and pulled the F2 frame down as it was in the way of something I wanted to put up on the high shelf and thought while it was down I would address the aforementioned elephant in the room and repair the piece of frame that had been cut out. And yes... All the time I did this I was asking myself “Why oh why did the PO do this... Sigh.”. Feel free to do that as you read through the following story lol

So this is what I started with:

What you cant see in that photo is that the lower crossmember with the center stand mount was damaged and dented on the side and mount nearest the gap. sigh...

I was able to fix this as a mate of mine had found me the piece of frame I was missing. In fact I posted about it on October 17th 2018, pretty much a year ago to date! How time flies :/ Anyway... Luckily the guy who cut it out of a donor frame pretty much cut it the right size, though it may well have been better if he had cut it a little longer (so I could angle the cuts) and had also included both of the center stand mounts, but hey beggars can’t be choosers as they say and this would do the job. :)

First up I trimmed it to get an approximate fit in the ‘gap’.

Naturally I wanted to ensure nothing had moved when the frame was cut or when I weld the new piece in. To this end I fitted a top engine case to ensure front to back alignment, then an old swinger collar with appropriate spacers (as tested against another frame) and locked these in place with a swinger pin, this proved the frame hadn’t spread left to right or front to back which was great news. To prove my third axis I drilled and ground the center stand parts to use the NK RGV suspension linkage parts as nothing else has such a good fit in that area. This kit solidly bolts down two areas of this mount as it is supplied with the correct sized spacers and when fitted is much more solid than pretty much anything else you could hope to find, certainly not the OEM center stand which is basically loose in the bracket. I could have made up some spacers to the exact size needed or used an H arm and some spacers but I had this kit handy and may well use it on this build. The two bolt system with plates used for the linkage kit providing the ‘untwisted’ alignment needed for the suspension upgrade as it utilises the hole in these brackets that on a normal RD/RZ is used for the H-arm as well as the center stand, tying them together. So, all points checked, braced and alignment proven. Nothing had actually moved to be honest. The frame is probably stronger than you think. :)

With everything lined up and the trimming complete I removed the swinger pin area ‘triangular’ bracing from the donor part to leave just the tube, saving it for adding back on later, as I wanted to weld all around the tube. I then located and cut some smaller tubes to fit inside the frame tubes to provide inner bracing. These would be fully fitted inside one end of each joint and slid into place across the joints, locking the 3 points of the new part in place. Yes that is as as fiddly as it sounds.

Next I drilled the frame tubes on all joints. The holes are there to aid the sliding of the inner tubes but also for plug welding them after. These provide a lot of extra surface area to the joint welds. You really don’t want to just weld up a straight join across the tubes, in an ideal world I would have cut these at an angle as well but I was forced into this due to the size of the donor piece and this was my mitigation. One of the inner tubes was actually a piece of Yamaha frame and the other a piece of new material.

I fashioned a flattened piece of tube to strengthen the crossmenber joint, judging by the way it came out I reckon Yamaha did just the same thing at the factory to create this tube, hence its gentle figure of 8 outer profile. I had to cut mine down to fit as I used the same OD tube as they did. In fact this was made from a piece of MT250 exhaust tip! This was obviously overkill on an MT250 as it was as thick as the YPVS frame tube, no wonder those pipes weigh a ton and never ever rot out!

With everything slid into place, welded up and ground back I had this:

And this... I left the welds a little proud here as they will be covered by the bracing made of thick plate.

This bracing was cut back further on the frame side so that the piece being welded in would be across the joint, acting as, well... Bracing. LOL

Here is it after being cut , fettled and welded up and ground back. And yes I did fully weld it and not leave any water outlet. This bike wont be ridden in the wet and to be honest I wanted all the bracing I could get on this repair, I will weld up the other side to match at some point before powdercoating.

With the huge gap in the frame filled the main work was done but it still needed the belly pan bracket adding. I had one from a frame I cut up a long time ago, but it had been cut off ‘short’ so all 3 sides needed length adding.

And here it is ground back, cut to length and fitted

I also thought since I’d noticed it I should add the oil tank rear mount back in as these are always missing, especially when a frame has been blasted and this one was no exception.

So is it finished? Well, no... It still needs the tang doing for the RGV conversion if I go that way and I ground a little than more than 5mm off the center stand bracket nut when doing it, so either I cut it off properly and weld on a 5mm spacer or i weld this one up and recut it - i'm favouring the spacer route, its easy to cut off and weld the correct sized item on i reckon. But, I’m not yet 100% sure what this project will be and its about 3 projects away from being started so its not like I want to make any serious decisions on it right now. I will make up the spacer for if/when I want to use it but that’s it for now.

I will say that it’s nice no longer to have a frame in my line of sight with a gaping hole in it. I would like to say a huge ‘Thank you’ to my friend for organising the missing piece for me, I certainly couldnt have done it at all without that... well i could but it would have been much tougher lol.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Smoker

#60 Post by Smoker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:02 am

Strong work, dude! :smt023

Nice to see and read the details of your project.

Anyone can buy and bolt on parts, but you've got some nice craftsmanship going on.