Prototype RZ250/350 YPVS HEAD

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker

Re: Prototype RZ250/350 YPVS HEAD

#16 Post by Smoker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:44 am

How is your head different from the Wicked Motorsports billet head?

MK

#17 Post by MK » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Maybe not leaking water?
(Sorry, couldn't resist ...)

I'd second Kenny's demand on blank inserts as knowledgeable guys prefer to do their own contour.
Bye
Martin

Smoker

#18 Post by Smoker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:09 pm

MK wrote:Maybe not leaking water?

I'd second Kenny's demand on blank inserts as knowledgeable guys prefer to do their own contour.
Jeez, hope mine don't leak coolant. Have a link, or just guessing?

Thought it was a good question, since the Wicked head is readily available, and also has removable domes which can be cut or blank. Plus, the external look is very much the same.

Wondering if there are problems with the Wicked heads that I don't know about, yet?

MK

#19 Post by MK » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:34 pm

As far as I noticed the customers divide into two groups: one that have a working system and the other that claims to have grooves with round shape that leave no space for the o-rings to compress into and thus soon fail.
Some members of the second group report low success in fixing the issue and at least partly poor customer service.
Bye
Martin

hondaror

#20 Post by hondaror » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Wicked stuff is just too costly to buy. That's why I won't even consider it. I'd rather pay someone else for custom work, and I'm a cheap ass machinist. I can do it myself if I cared to.
Rory
2 1984 RZ350s
1985 RZ350
9 1986-1990 RZ350s
2000 ST2
2005 749
2005 749 with 999 engine

lil_cons

#21 Post by lil_cons » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:35 am

Smoker wrote:How is your head different from the Wicked Motorsports billet head?

Honestly, I have never seen a Wicked head in person, so I couldn't tell you.

So obviously haven't had a chance to compare the in function, dimension or appearance.

Once I have my new model machined, I'll be able to compare my original to an OEM head and my new Model.

I'm not trying to compete with anybody, or knock off anyone's work, I am really developing this for myself (I'm not a fan of the look of cool heads etc, nor can I afford any of the after market head options), if it happens to function well, I'd like to offer it to others for a reasonable price and any physical resemblance to a Wicked head is due to the angled facets and YPVS Logo.

I am currently working on water distribution, attempting to get the most effective flow, this will be backed up with science at a later date.

Smoker wrote:
MK wrote:Maybe not leaking water?

Jeez, hope mine don't leak coolant. Have a link, or just guessing?

Thought it was a good question, since the Wicked head is readily available, and also has removable domes which can be cut or blank. Plus, the external look is very much the same.

Wondering if there are problems with the Wicked heads that I don't know about, yet?
Blank inserts are no worries at all, if any thing, its less modelling for me.

hondaror wrote:Wicked stuff is just too costly to buy. That's why I won't even consider it. I'd rather pay someone else for custom work, and I'm a cheap ass machinist. I can do it myself if I cared to.
The General cost of any after market heads and a lot parts are well out of my budget. Having said that I think Wicked's products look awesome, they are just more than I am willing to spend.

Off hand what are the rough prices of aftermarket Heads in the UK, US, CAN Etc? The Aus Exchange rate isn't strong against the USD at the moment, so just about everything is costly at the moment.

I'll be aiming to price these heads more competitively than other options if it is at all feasible.

lil_cons

#22 Post by lil_cons » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 am

MK wrote:As far as I noticed the customers divide into two groups: one that have a working system and the other that claims to have grooves with round shape that leave no space for the o-rings to compress into and thus soon fail.
Some members of the second group report low success in fixing the issue and at least partly poor customer service.

My design has square O'ring Grooves for that reason also.

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#23 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 pm

lil_cons wrote:
MK wrote:As far as I noticed the customers divide into two groups: one that have a working system and the other that claims to have grooves with round shape that leave no space for the o-rings to compress into and thus soon fail.

Like the work you have done so far.
i am a machinist too ,
as to the o-ring grooves ,the parker guide book shows the specs for all sizes.
but they need to be square to allow for the deformation of the seals ,otherwise they just end up smushed and soon fail.
cheers mark
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600

lil_cons

#24 Post by lil_cons » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:24 am

kenny wrote:On the inserts you need to get some water as close to the spark plug as possible helps cool the plug more and avoid any detonation issues on a tuned engine with programmable ignition.
I would be interested in a head with no squish etc in the domes so I can machine my own chamber. Also would look better in my opinion with the corners and edges rounded off and the top looking like the OEM head.
Nice job with the prototype though mate.

How does this look to you Kenny?

The fillets are easily removable for anyone wanting a more modern 'Billet' look.

two-stroke-brit wrote:
lil_cons wrote:

Like the work you have done so far.
i am a machinist too ,
as to the o-ring grooves ,the parker guide book shows the specs for all sizes.
but they need to be square to allow for the deformation of the seals ,otherwise they just end up smushed and soon fail.
cheers mark
Thanks Mark,

I do have a Transeals Booklet, But I might look into the Parker guide also.

As I said mine have square Grooves, but could a groove with a radius work if it had very little Crush?
Attachments
Screenshot (66).png
Screenshot (66).png (234.41 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Screenshot (64).png
Screenshot (64).png (206.68 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

two-stroke-brit
-----
-----

#25 Post by two-stroke-brit » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:06 pm

lil_cons wrote:

As I said mine have square Grooves, but could a groove with a radius work if it had very little Crush?
possibly but smarter folk than me have put a lot of time and money into the science of these seals .
so i go with the guide and haven't had one fail yet.

cheers mark
350LC,Athena 392 big bore,stock porting,swiss cheese air box,stock reeds,spec11 pipes.(now TSA big bore pipes)
She might not be pretty but she will always be a fun ride

1982 YAMA RD350LC
98KDX 220R
1967 TRIUMPH TIGER
2001 TRIUMPH TT600