Resale Value

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

islander

Resale Value

#1 Post by islander » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 am

First time post here so I hope I've dropped this in the rite spot. I own a 1988 RZ 350 Canadian which I bought new, 12,000 KM. The bike has sat outside for years and has suffered from the elements. Paint is sun faded and the motor was seized. I'm considering doing a complete restoration, heads , crank, carbs, exhaust etc. I have yet to add it all up but likely in around the $5000 t0 $6000 range. My question is after the restoration are these bikes worth much or should I look more at keeping the bike and getting the use out of it after the restoration?
Thanks for any thoughts, Larry

TCRZ88

Re: Resale Value

#2 Post by TCRZ88 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 am

islander wrote:First time post here so I hope I've dropped this in the rite spot. I own a 1988 RZ 350 Canadian which I bought new, 12,000 KM. The bike has sat outside for years and has suffered from the elements. Paint is sun faded and the motor was seized. I'm considering doing a complete restoration, heads , crank, carbs, exhaust etc. I have yet to add it all up but likely in around the $5000 t0 $6000 range. My question is after the restoration are these bikes worth much or should I look more at keeping the bike and getting the use out of it after the restoration?
Thanks for any thoughts, Larry
I think you should sell it... To me![emoji12] [emoji119]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Live long, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!

TCRZ88

#3 Post by TCRZ88 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:27 pm

If you can do the work yourself, I'd say bare minimum would be $1100 for crank and new pistons, $400 for new clutch, $150 + or - for new seals and gaskets, $100 dollars for lube, $150 for lights all around, and thank would bring it to operational. For $2000 plus or minus, you can be riding. A fully restored stock RZ goes for about $4500 to $6500? Anyone else agree with my numbers?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Live long, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!

AlexG

#4 Post by AlexG » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Is the gas tank rotted? That could be a big item if it needs repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questo vecchio rz

#5 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:39 pm

There are many levels to a restoration and ones view of a restoration. And ones costs,as said, doing yourself vs farming out the work to others.
As mentioned, tanks are the achilles heel of the RZ, they accumulate moisture inside at the lowest point and rot badly from the inside out , at a minimum a repaint is about $500.00 US. Dollars with repairs you could easily approach $1000.00. A tank should be evaluated carefully with a viewscope.

If it's been outside and heavily rusted and excessive corrosion,then it compounds restoration costs substantially, as in most cases if left out in the elements, it generally requires re building/re finishing,plating,painting of every single component on the bike.

You have to evaluate the honest condition it's in, and decide how far and how much your willing to give it.
Some folks want "as new" others just a rattle can paint job and their happy.

I'd say for a bike in a good condition that means NO Rust or corrosion, a mechanical and cosmetic resto could be had for around your idea if 5-6k, a total professional restoration will easily exceed 10k or more, and you'd like break even selling a concourse level resto. In the states, seems the average price for a average RZin the states prices seem to have jumped to around the 5-7 k range, with top level perfect bikes at around 10k.

If ya love it after a resto, I'd keep it, especially since you had her since new, your not going to make much money if any at all on a bike that needs mechanical and cosmetic restoration. If it's one or the other you can flip them for a 2-3k profit..but not both.
Banshee (Baja) race bike,+ 2 A Arms,L.E.Ds, Toomey, +4 stroker IMS tank, run flats.
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ/YZR bike(project)
86 VFR750 RC24 Merkel replica (project)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500

ZedSledder

#6 Post by ZedSledder » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 pm

What Island are you on Islander? Doing anything on an island costs more. It does depend on the island too.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

islander

#7 Post by islander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 am

AlexG wrote:Is the gas tank rotted? That could be a big item if it needs repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The tank was removed quite a number of years ago because of early signs of rust-it was professionally coated and has been stored inside since so is in good condition.

islander

#8 Post by islander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:44 am

ZedSledder wrote:What Island are you on Islander? Doing anything on an island costs more. It does depend on the island too.
Vancouver Island-I'm from Victoria, I gather you are at the other end?

islander

#9 Post by islander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for all the input-good news that the bike still holds what I consider to be good value. Still undecided as to the direction I will take-hop it up or go bone stock. Both barrels were damaged and I'm now inquiring if they are repairable (re-sleeved). The frame is still in good shape with the most rust on the single and double stand.

ZedSledder

#10 Post by ZedSledder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 am

Vancouver Island is easy. I know guys in Hawaii, and everything is scarce. Victoria has power coaters, Lordco, etc.. Out here everything gets trucked in and out, or you drive it yourself.
Even still,restoring one of these won"t be cheap, but worth it. Thats cool you are the original owner and know what has been done...or not. Have to say that leaving it out in this harsh climate is criminal.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

Forzfed

#11 Post by Forzfed » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 pm

I say restore it and keep it! These bikes are going up in price. They seem to command more dollars in the UK and States. Do you have any pictures of it?
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

Hooligan

#12 Post by Hooligan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Rebuild it and ride the thing. You will have forgotten how much fun they are to ride and the first time you open the throttle will bring you back to your teens. :D
'82 RD350LC in '81 colours, OEM pipes, UNI filters
'85 FZ750

evan_calgary

#13 Post by evan_calgary » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm

We do about 6 bikes a year. A pile of junk for what I would consider more than parts value will have people crashing into each other to go buy it up (call it $1500 for a RZ). Restored bikes do not command big dollars especially in Canada. $5K max. All original is another story but you might as well get it into the USA in that case.

If you are looking at sleeving barrels you are already off on the wrong track.

If you want to keep it and ride it then the rebuild is worth it. A rebuild without professional paint is a couple grand at minimum. You need barrels so add to that. This is without missing parts. I doubt many more of the members on here outside of Aus have fully restored more RZs than I have (I could be way off on this).

ZedSledder

#14 Post by ZedSledder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Mongoose Machining does rebores and is a Yamaha parts dealer, probably cheaper than sleeves. Also Willie in Nanaimo use to race rz's and know his way around these bike. He would have an "island" option for cylinder work. Not that its relevant but Willie is a certified Ducati tech.
mongoose is in PoCo.