Chris's 421 Banshee engined Aprilia RS

Got a customizing or restoration project? Discuss it here

Moderator: rztom

tankslap

Chris's 421 Banshee engined Aprilia RS

#1 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 am

SoImage

I'm starting a thread finally for Chris's bike. I will add pics (heaps of them) as I can.

Enjoy.

JM.

tankslap

Re: Chris's 421 Banshee engined Aprilia RS

#2 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:42 am

This bike belongs to an ex TSS customer. It was supposed to be one of the 485cc TSS turn key bikes.
I came into the picture when I was asked to help get the bike finished for Chris, the then customer of TSS.

After TSS quit the project I took on the task of dialing in the bike and eventually pulling down the engine and starting from scratch.
I wasn't involved in the bike from it's inception so basically came on board half way through.
This photo is after the first days work in the TSS workshop.

I think I fitted some clipons, brake lines and made up some radiator brackets.
It's hard to remember as it was awhile ago now.

And yes, that is the TSS workshop.

tankslap

#3 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 am

tankslap

#4 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am

421cc Athena, with 28mm Keihin's, Wossner pistons and Wobbly's pipes originally designed for the 485cc power valved engine.

I have stripped the engine completely since and built it up again.

Updates soon.
Cheers
JM

Smoker

#5 Post by Smoker » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:46 pm

The carbon frame protectors look great!

What are those small black devices on the fuel lines? Flow regulators? :smt017

christer500

#6 Post by christer500 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Keep the pictures coming :-) nice build!!

mkane

#7 Post by mkane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Dial-a-jet? BTW, what ever happened to TSS?

Bogeysnake

#8 Post by Bogeysnake » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm

mkane wrote:Dial-a-jet? BTW, what ever happened to TSS?
TSS disappeared up it's own arsehole. As soon as he had to put his hands in his own pocket to finish my bike he threw his hands up in the air and walked away leaving everyone hanging. I wont bore you and rant about Rothwell and TSS, that's already been said on the Af1 sitehttp://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... ware+fraud. This is my build and I'm doing it despite the enormous amount of cash I've lost to the above said man. Many gave up and walked away but I won't let him defeat me. With the help of Tankslap this will be the best that can be put on the road. A matter of principle really, a concept wholly foreign to Mr Rothwell. That's all I'm going to say on TSS as I don't want this to deteriorate into a TSS hate thread(there are enough of those around already). If you feel you need to comment on TSS please comment on the Af1 link supplied.

Peace out brothers

tankslap

#9 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Originally Chris supplied TSS with 34mm flat slide Mikuni's for his build which unbeknown to a colleague of mine he was sold.
The 28's are good carbs. They fit well, have a light pull on the twist grip and leave plenty of room in the 'engine bay'.
There is a set of 35mm PWK's to go on soon once we get the bike up and going again which should be an improvement again.

Yes, they are Dial-a-Jets on the 28's.

mkane

#10 Post by mkane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Going to be quite a ride.

tankslap

#11 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Yeah it was something to ride before we decided to pull down the engine and start from scratch.
It had been registered and jetted reasonably close by riding it on the street and the potential was already starting to shine through.
It had gearing to suit the 485, about 256klm/h @ 10,500 rpm ( worked out from Gearing Commander) if I recall correctly.
It also had a power band that was way to narrow, a slipping clutch and forks that were way over sprung (ZX6R-2009 BPF).
We have worked through these problems and a long list of others. Some we knew about and some little surprises along the way!

tankslap

#12 Post by tankslap » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Last edited by tankslap on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

tankslap

#13 Post by tankslap » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am

These are pics of a bit of a stock take really before I put the engine together again.
Some of the goodies include Hinson clutch and straight cut primary, Wossner Blaster pistons, Nova close ratio gear-box, Dial-a-Jets, Uni-Filters and Mull Engineering water pump impellor, alloy drive gear, shift star, detent roller and reed spacers.

tankslap

#14 Post by tankslap » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 am

Sorry to all the purists out there but I cut up a LC cover to make this set up. I still have a good left hand engine cover stashed otherwise I wouldn't have cut this one.

The rear section is all made out of plate and will comprise a polyethylene case saver and a needle roller bearing to support the gear change shaft. The inner race for the bearing has been turned up out of 4140 stock and will be Loctited and grub screwed to the shaft.

Still some work to do.

tankslap

#15 Post by tankslap » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 am

These stainless bands were retro fitted to the 485 TSS Tyga pipes to try to stop the elongation of the rivet holes in their skins.
It wasn't long after the bike was on the road that the mufflers started to disintegrate around the rivets and got quite loose and wobbly (no pun intended!).

I assumed that they never had enough support so I fabricated another support.
What probably elongated the rivet holes in the carbon/ Kevlar sleeves was the fact that whoever had fitted them negated to ensure enough clearance between the exhaust spigot on the barrel and the chamber header pipe.

All the forces from the engines vibrations went directly into the pipes via the metal to metal contact at the spigots.
Unfortunately I discovered this to late and the muffler damage was done.

So the mufflers are getting rebuilt with new carbon skins supplied by Tyga and I'm fitting new stainless bands as well.