Decals?

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Forzfed

Decals?

#1 Post by Forzfed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Does anyone know who makes the most accurate reproduction decals? I decided to repaint my 86 RZ this summer and bought a decal kit but the decals are a bit off. Or am I kind of out of luck with this? Here is a picture showing my old one and the new one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjb5sp7o6jsxd ... l.jpg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

silverstrom

Re: Decals?

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I have used several suppliers and the best by far is Mark Olan at http://www.rddecals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://rddecals.afegraphics.com/index. ... White-Blue'" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is the best in the business. I've purchased many sets from him. There are 4 sets on the shelf behind me as I write this. He has also done custom work for me and created decal sets for me for bikes that were not in his inventory by using my tanks and bodywork. Top guy and simply the best product available.

I have used his 86-88 RZ350 sets and they were perfect.

Your old decal looks quite pink. The sun does that and you have to be careful trying to use the old one to compare the new one.

Forzfed

#3 Post by Forzfed » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks John! Yeah, I was thinking that too at first but I do have a brand new 86 Tank and the decals are a little bit darker than the ones on it. And the pink ones are almost a bang on match to the newly painted stormy red. If I shine a light on the decals they do look close. So hopefully the sun will correct them! :smt003
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

evan_calgary

#4 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

RD decals is excellent and have used them on about 20 bikes to date. Many different models. Your new 86 tank doesn't mean it hasn't faded from sitting for 32 years.

Forzfed

#5 Post by Forzfed » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:47 am

I think my big problem was not using RD decals. I did use them for my 85 RZ although I didn't use as many decals as the 86.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

JonW

#6 Post by JonW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:56 pm

I had a great experience with RDDecals the first time round and promptly promoted him on my website, but on my next project I got the cold shoulder and a curt exchange on email. At that time and for over a year I had a bunch of emails advising me that readers of my site had followed my advice and he let them down in some way or other, including one saying the painter refused to use the decals citing they were not good enough quality and one saying one of the colours was way wrong. So i'm in two minds, Mark couldnt help me enough the first time but I did wonder if someone else was working there or bought the place or something as the later experiences differ so much from my own initial chats with Mark where he couldnt do enough to help me.

These days I buy from Norbo, cheap as chips and I believe the come from Imageworks, painters like em and the only complaint Ive ever seen on the forums is that the N model decals were a bit short and that got fixed and new ones sent out.

Ive also had some made locally that worked out fine, Collideascope if anyone local needs some... for my XT tho, not an RD/RZ.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

evan_calgary

#7 Post by evan_calgary » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Not sure where it went wrong in your experiences John. We paint and use their decals. 5 kits this summer. They are certainly much better quality than many of the other companies out there. I would almost go to the point of saying better quality than OEM Yamaha decals. I am a big supporter and have provided pictures of finished bikes when customers are complaining that decals 'dont fit'. Most of the time it is user error resulting in creases etc. Sizes are not always 100% perfect but that is also a function of how the replicas are scanned and created from surfaces with multiple contours. Mark is still there and has been nothing but super nice to me/us to date.