How much Paint do I need?

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

Forzfed

How much Paint do I need?

#1 Post by Forzfed » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:55 pm

For those that have a full faring RZ350. How much paint does it take to cover the whole faring? I want to paint my 85 full fairing bike and my 86 RZ. I was thinking of ordering 1.5 pints of stormy red and 2 pints of silky white, since the 86 is mostly white. Which leads to my next question is silky white the paint I need? I am going to be ordering from VMR paints. I was thinking I would need a little more white because it will take more to cover. With my 85 I have a brand new upper faring which is for the 86, so I only have to paint the bottom half white.
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

logierob

Re: How much Paint do I need?

#2 Post by logierob » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:17 am

Hi there
I would think that you will have quite a bit left over with that much paint as you are going to be adding reducer and or activator. There should be an area measurement in the product data sheet online. Just punch in the product brand of the paint and product number ( example; Dupont cromax pro) and somewhere on the first page usually there will be a pdf data sheet . Total gold for a paint and body guy i use them every day .Tells you area coverage , mix ratio dry times ,what grit scratches it will cover ,everything. Save your self the hassle of ordering on line and stop buy Paint FX in Winnipeg and have them make the color for you. Easy Peasy and guaranteed to be better quality especial if the paint is being frozen in the currior truck before you get it. Just looked and they carry all the best paint brands. Also most of these guys are very helpful.
Hope this helps
Rob

2smoke

#3 Post by 2smoke » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Yes, 86 Canadian model is stormy/ silky.
They are both pearly metallic colors.
I would probably spray the whole thing white then shoot the red on top later.
Colin
79 RD400F Daytona Special
81 RD350LC
89 TDR250
75 Kawasaki H1 500
77 Can-am Tnt250

Forzfed

#4 Post by Forzfed » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys!
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

ststrider

#5 Post by ststrider » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 am

2smoke wrote:Yes, 86 Canadian model is stormy/ silky.
thats what i normally do when spraying red as red usually calls for a white ground coat.

Forzfed

#6 Post by Forzfed » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:51 pm

ststrider wrote:
thats what i normally do when spraying red as red usually calls for a white ground coat.
My problem is I have a brand new red upper faring. I already prepped it and sanded the bottom half. It would be a waste of paint to paint the whole thing white. So in this situation what is the best plan for the white to look good when painted on? Will I need more coats for the white?
90 RZ Race Bike
86 RZ daily driver
85 RZ low milage

ststrider

#7 Post by ststrider » Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 am

Forzfed wrote:
ststrider wrote:
My problem is I have a brand new red upper faring. I already prepped it and sanded the bottom half. It would be a waste of paint to paint the whole thing white. So in this situation what is the best plan for the white to look good when painted on? Will I need more coats for the white?
yes you will need more coats to cover which is fine as long as give enough time for each coat to flash off.