How much paint needed to paint a full fairing RZ F1?

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

JonW

How much paint needed to paint a full fairing RZ F1?

#1 Post by JonW » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:51 am

Ive been slowly gathering the stuff to paint my F1. I would really like it to be done this year....

It will be in these colours (no pearls or anything on an RZR luckily, just a bit of taping up!):

In the lead up to this work I have almost finished sanding and repairing the plastic bodywork and still need to fix up my tank... anyway this IS NOT a thread about repairing bodywork or tanks, its about painting....

So... I guess I will need to buy:

- Primer - plastic and also steel, or can I get one that does both? high build primer as well I guess, the bodywork will need it...

- Red paint - its on the top of the tank, the top fairing and the front guard.

- White paint - its everywhere else... side panels, ducktail, fairing middles, fairing belly and the sides of the tank)

- Clear - I will clear the whole bike. Its not OEM to do that, but the decals would live longer i reckon.

- Thinner - everything needs thinning of course...

Anything else? hardeners or other products?

So.... Does anyone want to hazard a guess at how much paint I will need?

I ask as Ive never painted with my new HVLP sprayer (please no tips on painting here, feel free to start a thread in the tips section for that, many will thank you for it, me included!)

The reason I would like to know what you estimate is that the paint shop is an hour each way from me, and Id rather buy what I need, not over or under buy and figure others would be interested in this as well.
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD350LC decapitation project
82 RD250LC JDM '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: How much paint needed to paint a full fairing RZ F1?

#2 Post by LC Cnd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:29 pm

When I completed my RD in KR yellow, I sprayed it 4 times with one quart which included the use a pint tin of hardener (1/3) and reducer (1/4). Purchased clear coat, for the decals, and it was sprayed 3 coats leaving a 1/3 of a quart left. Granted your painting a full fairing RZ but your knowledge of RD's should give you a base of how much paint etc required. Any form member who has done an F1 will certainly provide bang on numbers no doubt.

JonW

#3 Post by JonW » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks Scott, your input is appreciated.

Just so Im not getting it totally wrong... For us Metric folks, a US Quart is just under 1 litre and a pint is just under 1/2L.

So, to paraphrase... 4 coats of an LC is about 1 Litre paint + 333ml hardener and 250ml reducer.

I assume the clear also had reducer (thinner) and hardener (catalyst) in it and seems to have been consumed at much the same rate as the colour from what youve said.

So... my workings...

- The LC has very little bodywork really compared to the fully faired RZ. Front guard, tank, side and tail area is much the same, with the err towards the RZ being being slightly bigger on those panels. Then there is a vast amount of the fairing, which I would say is at least as much again, more like 1.5x, maybe with the other parts being slightly larger its getting on for 3x the area of an LC. Eek!

- In my colour scheme then, the red area probably is about the size of just over half an LC, and the white would be just over 2x the LC amount.

- So from that my est of what I need is: 2L white, 1L red, 1.5L clear and depending on the environment about 1.5L hardener, 1L reducer. I might well have some left over, but I guess so long as its not mixed that I can use it later if needed.

Now that ive done those calcs its no wonder the paint paces quote so much more to paint a fully faired bike, lots of nooks and crannies and area compared to a naked machine.... :/
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#4 Post by LC Cnd » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:20 am

Canada is officially metric but the US is imperial so we get a hybrid of measurements depending on the source of the material/containers. Not only are we Canucks offically bi-lingual but unoffically bi-measurable - if that makes sence. Also noted the belly pan which equals out possible a combo of the LC side covers and rear bezel if that helps.

JonW

#5 Post by JonW » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:54 am

Ahh yes, I forgot you had a bellypan. good spot!
80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid