Black chrome

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

whyzee79

Black chrome

#1 Post by whyzee79 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:10 pm

What is the best way to duplicate the black chrome on the bike like the mirrors and bars? I have not seen a finish that can duplicate this and don't really want to paint over it but the parts are getting rusty and look a little shabby.

waltmil

Re: Black chrome

#2 Post by waltmil » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Easiest way is find a plating shop and tell them what you want.
Red/White US '84, Spec II pipes, Y-boot w/K&N, Fox Shock, Mikuni carbs?

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: Black chrome

#3 Post by LC Cnd » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 am

Did some research for 4 US firms and none do it for exhaust pipes - Microns specifically. I was hoping to have it done in Canada/US - not happening. Ceramic yes but that may not what your looking for. Black chrome is in Britian but not cheap. Here's their response:

"Ashford Chroming strives to produce consistent high standards of work to satisfy the demands of our many customers and clients all over the world. We chemically strip each part first removing all traces of Chrome, Nickel and Copper. We then polish them back to a reflective mirror finish using a skilled senior polisher. This process helps remove pitting, scratches and flaws in the surface. This is a highly skilled process that takes years of training. Sometimes pitting can be so extensive that the polishing process will further compromise the part and so we can not guarantee that it will be removed. Repairs are often required, and more often can not be established until the polishing process has begun. If repairs are required we will discuss this with you once highlighted. Your parts are then triple plated using Copper, Nickel and then your final choice of finished plate. Each part is given at least two hours of Nickel Plate which adds protection and improved finish to your parts. Work is then hand checked and polished.
T OTAL: £380-440. + VAT. (plus insurance 50£)."

Still looking but I'm not seeing anything closer.