prefered fairing primer?

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

ZedSledder

prefered fairing primer?

#1 Post by ZedSledder » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:01 pm

.I'm thinking most people don't usually do their own paint, but thought I'd ask any how. There are guys getting great results.
Just wondering what is the prefered primer for abs plastics ? Also wondering , if I use two different primers,( one on the tank and the other on the plastics) if this will effect the final out come?
Getting everything en place for my next step. Thanks
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

LC Cnd
-----
-----

Re: prefered fairing primer?

#2 Post by LC Cnd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Going through the same issue with my LC and was recommended ProForm self etching primer from Lordco. The reason it was recommended was that I discovered body filler on the tank when I stripped it down to the metal. I wanted to know what primer would adhere to both surfaces evenly. Suspect there's a Lordco nearby - especially if your in Victoria. Comes in white, red or grey ($15). It worked well as can comes with 2 nozzles - narrow/wide. I have a painter doing the rest.

ZedSledder

#3 Post by ZedSledder » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Right on, I'll have a look at that one. I'm in Tofino, so we probably frequent the same Lordco. I too have bondo and metal, so I reckon it should work abs fairing plastic also. Better question yet, who are you getting to do your paint job?
I've been trying to keep it a backyard build just because I'm so far from the "sub trades", but a painter in PA might work out for me.
1985 Canadian Rz350. Restored with collector plates. Stock VM26, Triumph Calipers, Galfer brake lines. Brand new DG’s, 260 main, 22.5 pilot jet. Economy pre-load adjusters. Ohlins shock. Oem Banshee crank.

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#4 Post by LC Cnd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:08 am

I'm in Port - not far. Actually, my 1st long trip will be to "Tough City" - bends round Kennedy Lake - yahoo! Or ripping down Taylor Flats. I have a neighbour / engineer who paints vintage vehicles as a sideline. He actually owned the bike and is really interested in what I'm doing with the renovation. The bike was inert for 10 yrs. Going with Kenny Roberts competition yellow as I figured out the secret formula @ $45 a pint. That took a couple months of research. My 2nd one will be Cnd 82' black - time permitting. Just a heads up on the Proform. I sprayed my side covers/ beselle and it adhered well. What I did not expect was how rough the texture was when dried - like a 600 grit. My painter will be examining it this week to see if its suitable - he stated it should be ok but wants a visual. Will Let you know in a couple days.

ZedSledder

#5 Post by ZedSledder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Thats great.When out this way give us pm. it'd be cool to see your bike. A KR yellow LC sounds like a sweet idea, definetly post up photos. We meet tuesday nights at Tony's pizza on 1st street, and ride out to Long Beach. Although usually after riding that road you just wanna sit down and wrap your fist around a beer.
I plan on riding out to Port once up and running , yep I love those twisties. Suttons pass to the junction

Please do let me know how your paint turns out, I still haven't bought mine yet. Yeah paint is expensive too. The decal set I'm onto is $200 alone plus an extra 50$ for the solo cowl. We're building a garden tool shed and I plan to just vapor barrier wrap it before the siding goes on and use it as a paint booth.

I'm super stoked there is another smoker out in this neck of the woods. Cheers
Gord

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#6 Post by LC Cnd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:00 pm

Tony's - perfect. It's the 1st restraunt I ever ate in restarunt that uses 2 stroke m/c's as part of their decor - a burnt orange or gold Yamaha?. Gord take your paint idea to the Port Lordco, if you need a match, they will spectrographed or if you have a sample they will match it and mix it on site. Perhaps you already know this. They had the best prices to date. Can't recall the paint experts name, but I can get it for you if wished. Almost bought an RZ but preferred the ascetics of an RD - I suspect that will change as I have been offered an RZ ride locally 2 weeks ago. The 350 owner recently sold his RD500 - I couldn't afford to buy it plus he wanted keep it in the family. Amazing how many RD/RZ's & H1's are in a town this small collecting dust. I'll pm you some pics once Greg finishes painting to see if you like his work; he uses his garage as a paint booth by draping plastic up like you are. Be a month, hopefully. Chow - Scott.

ZedSledder

#7 Post by ZedSledder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks fo the Lrodco paint lead. I didn't know they were so invovled in paint. What I might do is take in the decals and have them match the red and blue stripes. At this point I have the white sorted out.
Didn't know there were trove of 2strokes collecting dust in Port. If you across one that needs a home let us know. HaHa

ZedSledder

#8 Post by ZedSledder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks fo the Lrodco paint lead. I didn't know they were so invovled in paint. What I might do is take in the decals and have them match the red and blue stripes. At this point I have the white sorted out.
Didn't know there were trove of 2strokes collecting dust in Port. If you across one that needs a home let us know. HaHa

LC Cnd
-----
-----

#9 Post by LC Cnd » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Spoke to my painter neighbor and learnt that once the Proform primer is dry, sand it smooth with a 1000 grit and spray it with Proform sealer ($34 for qt.) The sealer will is sort of a self leveller for micro dips at the primer stage according to my neighbour. Will be purchasing the paint from Urgle's single stage oil for $107 per qt. Down side is things are cooling off in the garage currently with humidity. May have to wait.

ZedSledder

#10 Post by ZedSledder » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Good info. Caught me just in time as I have'nt put down a lick of paint yet. Going to town Monday and I'll drop in Lordco to get the leveler.
My experience with Urgels was short and sweet. Declared two of my trucks as write offs. As you know that road eats vehicles for breakfast.
But seriously, thanks for letting me know about the preform level stuff. I'm running out of time too. I do have a heated crawl space I can let the parts cure if I can get the paint on.
Cheers
Gord